overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2436   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. ’Course there’s always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - NOV 26, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 12, 2004 I believe this beer is considered a Double Pale. Sweet in taste and as the case with most Stone ales, a bitter finish. I dig this stuff when it’s at least a year old.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
LiebeBier (808) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - NOV 26, 2003
I could smell hops a foot away from where I poured it. Always a good sign. Rich ruby/brown color with thick creamy tan head. Extremelly malty with a crushingly bitter finish. Alcohol really comes out in this beer - Otherwise, very well done.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Wrath (362) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - NOV 24, 2003
Dark copper color with nice foamy white head.Hoppy aroma mixed with sweet malt smell.Well balanced with many flavors pleasuring the mouth.Very bitter finish that is loaded with hops. The best American Strong Ale I have had to date!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
fraternie (888) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 23, 2003
Coppery, amber body. Wonderfully complex, sweet aroma of caramel, cherries, toffee and dark fruits. Flavorful toffee malt, slightly sweet. Notes of grapefruit and orange round out the malt. Complex, thick body. Finish is very hoppy and somewhat sharp. Spicy, moderately acidic and very bitter finish. The extreme bitterness tends to overwhelm the delicious malt in the finish which is a shame, but that is probably my only complaint.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sham (1845) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 22, 2003
Pours a very nice ruby hued amber with a nice foamy and creamy head that leaves sparce lacing. Oooh, nice mellow hop aroma with some sweet malts with an underlying citrus. Very well balanced. Mmmm, flavors are great. Again a very well balanced assortment of malts, hops, and some fruits that finishes just a bit bitter, though it does nothing to retract from the flavor. Full bodied and very creamy palate. I like this beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - NOV 22, 2003
(bottle - 2003 batch) deep copper with nice off white head. Hops aroma. Much more balanced than ABA--yeah there's all the hops, but there's a lot of malt as well. Outstanding.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 22, 2003
Pretty garnet color and lustrous cream head. Terrific mouth-watering spicy aroma. Brings some killer hops but contains the perfect balance of cherry malt sweetness to temper this beast. I anticipated an overly aggressive beer but found this to be a godly and sublime beer to sip on. Slightly less nuanced than other high octane brews like Dreadnaught. However I'm already dreading the day that this beer sells out and I find myself craving something that I can no longer have. Time to stock up.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Terminus (3318) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - NOV 22, 2003
2003 bomber-Well well, i walked into my local liquor store here in Las Cruces, NM and what do i see? BOMBERS OF DOUBLE BASTARD. I only bought 2, but i went back today and bought 3 more. anyways, i drank this beer to celebrate my 98% on my GIS exam. This beer is HUGE!!! one of the most balanced ASA's i have EVER had. For some reason this brew reminds me of Three floyds behemoth barleywine in all levels. This beer is awesome fresh and to me, it does not need aging. perfect marriage of hops and malts, probably the best i have ever witnessed in a strong ale. pure drinking bliss!!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
omnivore (270) - San Francisco, California, USA - NOV 20, 2003
Prettier than the Arrogant Bastard in color. More ruby looking. Lacy head. Hoppier aroma. The flavor is wonderful. It's thicker (tasting), smoky, malty, the hops are much more subtle. Slight orange and honey? after taste. It's REALLY nice. Easy to drink. Dangerous... I'm going to have to buy every bottle I see.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bsour (78) - Boise, Idaho, USA - NOV 20, 2003
2003 vintage. It's been a while since I have had this beer. It's better than I remember. Dark brown/red with excellent off-white head. Good lacing all the way down the glass. Aroma tells the story of an abundance of hops and alcohol. The flavor bites quick with lots of hops, alcohol, and slight orange flavors. After it goes down, the bite from the alcohol is very prevalent with citrus flavors lingering throughout the mouth. Great beer. What else does Stone brew?