overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2456   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. íCourse thereís always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%.

avantdagare (148) - MalmŲ, Sweden, SWEDEN - JUN 29, 2012
1 finger beige head that sinks to 4mm, dark amber body. Nose: Caramel, figs, madeira, floral notes, honey, seville orange and oranges. Aroma: Caramel, resin, grapefruit, seville orange, figs, madeira, honey, floral notes, clementines and marzipan. Initially quite sweet with an enormously dry, bitter ending. I feel like my tounge is getting punished. Unbalanced and brilliant!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
arn8897 (147) - Trenton, Ohio, USA - OCT 10, 2014
Pours a hazy copper color. Caramel citrusy taste. Hoppy flavor. Thick on the palat. Low carbonation but the head retention is very good. Alcohol warmth is noticable but not overpowering.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
FrkAabenhuus (147) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAY 1, 2005
pours brown white a fine white head. Powerfull, whith lots of hops, which last forever! Aroma is fruity, hoppy with notes of sweetness. Really nice beer!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
DCopperfields (146) - New York, USA - APR 1, 2004
Copper color, like a dirty penny. Not much head, not alot in the way of lace. Aroma is funky, sweet molasses and caramel. Fruity. Lots of hops in the flavor, big stong malt backbone underneath. Flavor notes are hop oils, toasted wheat bread, and something smoky. Very full flavored, rich full mouthfeel, this one rides along like a barley wine, nothing less. Not a strong old ale as listed. This is a barley wine, one which could use a few years in the cellar in my opinion.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Uriel (146) - San Jose, California, USA - APR 2, 2004
Yum! Beautiful color with a slightly off white head. Sweet, but not too sweet. It balances the hops very nicely. It has some definite citrus notes. I noticed flavors very much like orange blossom honey. This stuff'll kick you ass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cigarsnbeer (146) - Valley City, North Dakota, USA - JUN 1, 2004
Wow, what can I say about this beer that hasnít already been said. If you like Stoneís Arrogant Bastard,youíre gonna love this offering! Malty with a perfect hop balance, and a beautiful red hue....man I wish I had another right now!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Michbeerlover (146) - - DEC 2, 2012
Great looking beer. Ruby red, clear with a 1/2 finger head that dissipates quickly. Aroma of sweet candy malt. Not much hop aroma. Bottle I tried was a over a month old. Initial taste was great, but then it started tasting more like cough syrup. I can see why others would think this is great, but the cough syrupy taste was a turn off for me. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
frankR (145) - Davis, California, USA - FEB 19, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 20, 2005 Liquid is blood red translucent under light. Nose is fruity malt and hops. Front is resin syrup thick, malts and fruit. Finish is hoppy, with lots of malt to balance things out. Overall spectacular!

TheRealBastard (145) - The-No, California, USA - JAN 9, 2008
UPDATED: APR 21, 2009 April 20th 2009 - Well just had a 2005 to celebrate my annual 4:20. Smoked a bowl and drank a DB, doesnít get much better than that! Janurary 9th 2008 - This is my favorite beer of all time, every year I look forward to its release.† Stone Brewing freakin rocks!† I guess Iíll just wait for the IRS instead! April, 5th 2008 - Ok well I just picked up another 7 bottles of this and 6 of them are gone. This is by far the best session brew of all time. I drink 3 of these and I start walking funny. I drank an 06 vintage and got a huge malt bomb!!! It was freakin delcious. The fresh stuff stings your tastes buds with refreshing hops and super malt. This beer is on steriods or something. It is the most unique beer I have ever drank and impresses me more and more everytime I drink it(which is atleast once a week). I have drained New Jersey of this beer completely, I am always on the prowl for more. Next release Iím buying 5 cases, hopefully it will last me the winter, but who really knows. This beer needs to move into the top 1 for sure. For my 24th birthday I had a 1/2 keg of Oaked Bastard which was delicious just not as good as the Double. This year to celebrate my quarter century of living, Iím getting a 1/2 barrel of Double Bastard. If you want to come send me a Beermail. All are welcome to come enjoy this masterpiece on tap. Maybe Iíll write a letter to the president of Stone Brewing Co. and ask for a 1/2 barrel of some kind of barrel aged Double Bastard. That would freakin rock!!!! April 20th, 2007 (420) Yesterday my wife, little broski, and I went to a tattoo convention in Philly and had a great time. On our way home there was a Canalís liquor store I had never been in. So we had to stop to check out thier beer selection. It was very limited, but they did have nine bottles of Double Bastard on the shelf. So I grabbed all of them with joy and my wife rolled her eyes at me. I took the nine bottles to the counter and asked the young lady running the register if they had any more. Sure enough the beer manager comes running up with a whole case that was sitting in the back!!!! So I bought the whole case and left with a huge grin on my face knowing I have some Double Bastard once again to ration out over the next couple weeks. Iím in the dog-house with my wife though, but thatís okay because I have 12 delicious Double Bastards sitting in my living room.

foosnbrews (145) - Parker, Colorado, USA - NOV 26, 2008
Beer is Hazy Amber with thin tan/white head. Wonderful Hop aroma. Hops bitterness perfectly balances alchol and malt sweetness. Itís hard to believe that this is a 10.5 Percent beer. Hop Bitterness is initially very forward but subdues substantially as drinking progresses. Spicy piney dank hop bitterness. Flavors are sharp with a Sticky/full mouthfeel.