overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 2328   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
This is a lacerative muther of a beer. The evil big brother of Arrogant Bastard Ale. It is strongly suggested you stay far, far away from this beer. Those foolish enough to venture close enough to taste will experience a punishingly unforgiving assault on the palate. íCourse thereís always the masochists...
Note: 2007 - 10%, 2008 & 2009 - 10.5%, 2010 - 11.2%, 2011 - 10.5%, 2012 - 11.2%.

thegreat78 (42) - San Marcos, California, USA - NOV 2, 2007
Pours a deep ruby red that in spite of showing itís color, is surprisingly opaque, only letting light through on the extreme edges. The aroma is brutally dominated by burnt caramel with just a hint of hops lingering in the background. The taste is an almost indescribable balance of abundant sticky caramel malts and delicious sticky pine hops with just enough citrus to mellow the whole thing out into almost complete perfection. The beer is certainly medium to heavy bodied, but the absolutely wonderful taste fully compensates for any heaviness. I am ready to say without any hesitation that this is now hands down my absolute favorite beer. I have reviewed 400 beers now and this is my first perfect 5. This one is now doubt a sipper, but each sip is so spectacular, the taste compensates for any and all of the factors of a beer of this strength that usually gets in the way of drinkability.

TheRealBastard (145) - The-No, California, USA - JAN 9, 2008
UPDATED: APR 21, 2009 April 20th 2009 - Well just had a 2005 to celebrate my annual 4:20. Smoked a bowl and drank a DB, doesnít get much better than that! Janurary 9th 2008 - This is my favorite beer of all time, every year I look forward to its release.† Stone Brewing freakin rocks!† I guess Iíll just wait for the IRS instead! April, 5th 2008 - Ok well I just picked up another 7 bottles of this and 6 of them are gone. This is by far the best session brew of all time. I drink 3 of these and I start walking funny. I drank an 06 vintage and got a huge malt bomb!!! It was freakin delcious. The fresh stuff stings your tastes buds with refreshing hops and super malt. This beer is on steriods or something. It is the most unique beer I have ever drank and impresses me more and more everytime I drink it(which is atleast once a week). I have drained New Jersey of this beer completely, I am always on the prowl for more. Next release Iím buying 5 cases, hopefully it will last me the winter, but who really knows. This beer needs to move into the top 1 for sure. For my 24th birthday I had a 1/2 keg of Oaked Bastard which was delicious just not as good as the Double. This year to celebrate my quarter century of living, Iím getting a 1/2 barrel of Double Bastard. If you want to come send me a Beermail. All are welcome to come enjoy this masterpiece on tap. Maybe Iíll write a letter to the president of Stone Brewing Co. and ask for a 1/2 barrel of some kind of barrel aged Double Bastard. That would freakin rock!!!! April 20th, 2007 (420) Yesterday my wife, little broski, and I went to a tattoo convention in Philly and had a great time. On our way home there was a Canalís liquor store I had never been in. So we had to stop to check out thier beer selection. It was very limited, but they did have nine bottles of Double Bastard on the shelf. So I grabbed all of them with joy and my wife rolled her eyes at me. I took the nine bottles to the counter and asked the young lady running the register if they had any more. Sure enough the beer manager comes running up with a whole case that was sitting in the back!!!! So I bought the whole case and left with a huge grin on my face knowing I have some Double Bastard once again to ration out over the next couple weeks. Iím in the dog-house with my wife though, but thatís okay because I have 12 delicious Double Bastards sitting in my living room.

doppelmeup (51) - Wake Forest, North Carolina, USA - APR 25, 2008
I have to admit that after having the Arrogant Bastard, which I didnít really care for, I wasnít sure that I would like the Double Bastard, as I have never considered myself a real hop-head. Well, many thanks to Matt at the beer store for talking me into trying this gem. This poured a gorgeous garnet color into a chalice. Great, creamy and sticky lace which lasted forever. Huge aromas of hops and malts. Incredible hop flavor balanced by incredible malt flavor. And the ABV was so well hidden that I couldnít even taste it! This went down easier than probably any beer Iíve head A truly great beer. Donít pass this by. Youíll love it even if you, like me, arenít a hophead!

orderofjames (6) - Dana Point, California, USA - MAY 1, 2008 does not count
Not really good at the psudo wine comparisons. However, The Best Stone Iíve ever had...

BasharTeg (5) - USA - MAY 14, 2008 does not count
Double Bastard is some serious business. If you can drink more than one of these in a sitting you have bigger balls than I do.

fezzik20 (8) - USA - MAY 30, 2008 does not count
Easily the best beer I have had in recent memory. It is surprisingly smooth for such a hoppy beer. 22 oz bottle, drunk slightly above room temperature. Had a very small yet noticeable hint of fruitiness. Pours a nice deep orange with a very small and thin head. Great mouthfeel. Excellent bitter finish.

lemasney (398) - Trenton, New Jersey, USA - DEC 25, 2008
Style and Glass: American Strong Ale, Snifter; trappist ABV, Volume & Calories: 10.5% in 22 fl oz. estimated at 400 C Purchased at: Canalís Lawrenceville, NJ for $7.99 Having this on Christmas night to finish off an amazing day. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all of you. Aroma: amazing, sweet, flowery, hoppy, grassy, heavenly, malty, earthy, mold. Visuals: nice label design, what seas might look like in hell, menacing deep red, brilliant, clear, thick white head, sticky tight lace. Taste: wow. very malty, deeply hoppy, sugary, not syrupy, crisp, heavy, molasses, smoke, strong. Palate: Of the highest visual and taste quality, rigid, sandy, rough, long bitter finish. Overall: An absolutely amazing DIPA, though not classified as such. Iíd have it again no question. Perhaps one of my top ten. A favorite. Great value. High craft.

bbp182 (255) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 31, 2008
This is one amazing beer. I got the 101.4 fl oz bottle. That’s right, 3 Quarts and 5.4 oz. Look - Has a great cloudy amber color to it with a beautiful amber/tanish cream. Smell - Fruity, Alcohol smell def. Amazing, like heaven. Taste - Has an extra bitter taste def.Has a big alcohol taste but fruity and sweet also. Amazing. That’s all I can say.

EnnuiDivine (23) - New Jersey, USA - MAR 22, 2010
This is quite possibly the best beer Iíve ever tasted. Or will ever taste. Immensely strong in palate and alcohol content with a generous balance of malt and overwhelming hop character, this is a brew for the ages.

cask_strength (7) - Wisconsin, USA - MAY 8, 2010 does not count
UPDATED: SEP 22, 2010 too bad this is a seasonal. I stock up with a case or two when it hits the shelves. And I cry when my stash is gone.