Downtown Grill Amber Ale

(RETIRED)
Downtown Grill  Amber Ale
     click to upload

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 2.78/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.77   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
A full bodied Dusseldorf-style ale with a rich mahogany color, brewed from imported Munich malt, with a satisfying blend of hops upfront

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Suttree (5122) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - APR 17, 2007
My knee-jerk reaction is say "Itís amber" but it really isnít. Itís actually more of, say, copper or bronze, or perhaps sliding into more pedestrian brown. But it lacks the touch of red I usually associate with amber. So, wheras I am normally a sucker for the name - that is to say, If a beer has a certain color or flavor suggested in the name, I usually read the label and then find myself swayed by whatever it says. For example, if you were to brew a beer called Mauve Raddish Ale, I look at it and say, "wow, this sure is mauve" and then "wow, this sure taste raddishy". but Iím not doing that here. The beer says "amber" but I looked at and thought "coppery bronze, maybe brown", not "amber". So in one way of looking at it, this beer is a huge milestone for me. But another, more accurate way of looking at it, itís a pretty average amber ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 7/20
awebster (165) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 23, 2006
Amber colored (obviously). This is one of DGBís better beers, as they donít put hops out the ass in it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Tmoney99 (10545) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 6, 2005
Draft sampler at DGB. Clear amber color with moderate white head that diminished quickly. Small hop aroma. Light body. Moderate flavor of hops and small malt with short finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
NachlamSie (2751) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 24, 2005
on draught. Pours distinctly red. Thereís a faint strange winey aroma. The flavor is fairly malty, mostly watery. Not much really to say about this brew.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - AUG 24, 2005
Draught. Had I known I would be the first to rate this, I would have taken better notes. Oh well. Pours a clear, well, amber. Not very aromatic (which seems to be the case with a few Downtown G&B brews). A bit of hops and malt in the finish. Mediocre.