overall

RATINGS: 452   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Brewed with extra hops and malt in the English tradition, but with West Coast style. This deep golden India Pale Ale is artfully balanced with a fresh, powerful aroma and a luscious finish.

kjsofield (2) - Lafayette, California, USA - MAR 29, 2014 does not count
Drake's IPA is clearly the best IPA (for my palate) on the planet. I was first introduced to Drake's when I moved to the Bay Area in 2000. I've had it on draft in my home kegarator ever since. I went through a minor scare when Roger Davis, the then brewmaster left Lind Brewing and subsequently when Triple Rock bought Lind. But, fortunately, that resulted in Roger being brought back into the fold. Roger is simply an amazing brewer (and I'm in now way diminishing the current brewmaster, Brian). In any event, I digress. The beer is a beautiful dark caramel color. The head, thick and foamy. The taste, bitter, piney and crisp. I travel a lot, and so have had the opportunity to try literally hundreds of other IPAs across the country. A good close 2nd place is Sierra Nevada Torpedo (which you can get country wide). But, I'm always excited to return home and draw a fresh, delicious, refreshing Drake's IPA from my kegarator.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
chinreallyfat (21) - Chula Vista, California, USA - OCT 31, 2004
Among my favorite IPAís, probably second to Stone IPA. Maltier. Still has massive hops. I usually keep some in my garage beer fridge for rainy days.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JahNoth (1039) - Rochester, New York, USA - MAY 6, 2005
Damn, these guys make some good beer. Do they make a nice stout? Piney and floral aroma. This beer pours a very nice orange/amber with THICK head. Luscious and creamy as it hits the tongue. Then the beer explodes with tart orange citrus hops and the balance of a firm malt backbone. The second swallow burns with hop residuals and lingering bitterness. This is a mouth happy maker. A GREAT IPA. Thanks to Ernie Flipbrewer for the sample!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Mace26 (1) - USA - JAN 28, 2006 does not count
What I looking for in an IPA is that balanced hoppy/malt flavor...and this beer brings it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - AUG 19, 2001
Okay, now this is what we in the business call a West coast IPA. Hops are the beginning and end of the story here, and thatís A-okay with me! A splendid showcase of the hop that will not disappoint ardent lovers of India Pale Ale.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mardermax (71) - santa cruz, California, USA - MAY 8, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 29, 2005 5.05 had this on cask at toronado in san fran. truly one of the best beers i have eber had. the cask is un friggin believable. the smoothest, richest best IPA ive had. 12 oz bottle: shout out to aj blum, berkeley. We just came into town, and he had this suprise delight waiting for us. Golden/amber color. The head is fairly thickbut tasty and frothy. Smells hoppy and fruity. Aroma of oranges, and lemony malts. This beer was surprisingly really well rounded.. The palate tastes of creme, a pleasant soapyness.. definately more hoppy than most ipas out there... really enjoying this beer, want to check out more by drakeís...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Bartzilla (533) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAY 28, 2006
Again, with the cute label. Delicious. Perfect. Man, I can drink this stuff up. Girls, this isnít for you. There was a hop festival in my mouth at Liars Club yesterday. I had an Alpine Duet, Pliny The Elder then this beautiful hop bomb. Thereís enough hops in here to survive a trip to Mars, much less India. Beautiful. I wish I could always have this.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Benzai (8229) - Oirschot, THE NETHERLANDS, NETHERLANDS - AUG 19, 2011
UPDATED: AUG 21, 2011 Bottle @ Beer Temple Amsterdam. Very hazy medium orange color, large white head. Smells SO SO good! Super fruity and hoppy! Such a fruity taste as well and superbly hopped! Medium bitterness. Smell and taste citrus as well. Absolutely very well balanced: superb mix of hops, bitter, citrus and alcohol. Just great!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BlackEyePA (573) - USA - AUG 29, 2012
Aroma is citrusy lemon/orange semi sweet fruit hops. Appearance is clean orange brew with a cream colored head. Taste is citrusy fig, grass hoppiness, with a good malty backbone to contend with the hop bill. Palate is covered in hop goo, but not lingering or overpowering. Overall great stuff

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
elduchey (12) - Venice, California, USA - JUN 3, 2006
First off, WOW what a bottle! I bought this sixer just for the lable alone, and now I think Iím converted. It pours a common dark honey brown and leaves a dirty white head with a clinging lace. Itís not your run of the mill bitter hop bite IPA. This beer is (dare I say) a perfect blend of mild citrus tang, undercover hops and enough malt to make this one of the smoothest IPAís Iíve ever had. This is not a "normal" IPA in any sense of the word. Shure, it hits you in the back of the tounge where itís suppose to, but with an abnormal smoothness. This is the next step in the evolution of the IPA and itís won a spot in my fridge forever. This is a beer that you cant wait to offer to a best friend and puff your chest out with pride of having found it first.