Druthers Brewing Simple Truth Barleywine

Druthers Brewing Simple Truth Barleywine
     click to upload

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.63/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.04   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Brewed with lots of German crystal malt, this beer has a fruity, strawberry-like nose and rich caramel notes in the flavor. Hop bitterness balances the finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerbill (3407) - Laurel, New York, USA - JUN 21, 2014
On draught at the brewpub. Served a clear reddish-brown with a thin tan head. Pleasant aroma of malt with some caramel sweetness. The flavor is malt and caramel accompanied by a bit of fruitiness. Some mild-moderate hops bitterness at the finish. Clean on the palate and not clingy or heavy. Alcohol is well hidden. No problems.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
blipp (6111) - Newark, New Jersey, USA - MAY 30, 2014
Draft at the brewpub. Pours amber with an off white head. Berry-like fruity sweetness, almost like strawberry and cherry, with light caramel malts, some fruity hoppy notes, and relatively low bitterness. Pretty good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Glouglouburp (6022) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 7, 2013
In short: A clean not-so-malty and slightly fruity barley wine. Not much depth or richness but a good drinkability.
How: Tap at brewpub.
The look: Clear light-ruby body topped by a small off-white head.
In long: Nose is malty, a bit estery and phenolic and with some grassy hops. In mouth the beer feels full but lighter than most 10% barley wine and the low-medium is well suited. Taste is clean, lots of cereals, caramel, some toffee, a certain spiciness in the hop finale. Taste is caramelized malts, some toffee, berries, some grassy hops. No alcohol presence and with a sweetness sensation lower than expected from a beer like this. This barley wine felt very clean, maybe a bit too, it was easy to drink but did not have much character. The common themes with Druthers beer I had, clean, lack of character, easy to drink. My last beer at Druthers, when I walked in the brewpub I was hoping that maybe I could have a nice day but when I left my waitress told me to have a nice day, she left me no choice, I hate that kind of pressure.