Dry County Smoked Ale

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 3.6/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.96   ABV: -

durhambeer's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
durhambeer (2500) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 18, 2013
I love my wife for asking me to look up our options in Spruce Pine, when we had just had a below average meal and split a sweet candy Blue Moon at the Garden Deli in Burnsville. Unfortunately, we missed the farm-to-table restaurant there, but I saw the word "brewery" and we quickly drove past the turn-off for our mountain cabin to hit Spruce Pine. This brewery is smack-dab in the middle of a minimally decorated (really tasty) pizzeria in what looks to be a former convenience store. This beer was the stand-out of the bunch, perhaps slightly infected because it tasted sour and acetic, trending toward nail polish but in a good way. Nose of smoked hickory malts, cherries and cherry wood, and that hint of sourness and fingernail polish. Taste showed a bit of smoke at first, mixing well into something more acetic and sublime. Reminded me of the CL Smoke from the Oak series that were divisive to some but great to me. Poured a dark chestnut, slightly hazy with a small, barely there head.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
bubbleflubber (1816) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - AUG 17, 2013
On tap at the brewery, this pours mahogany with no retentive head nor lacing of which to speak. Smokey peat nose with campfire meats. Smoked grains and some roasted, smoked peat maltiness. Nice smoked silage barnyard grains. The finish is smokey grains. Medium-bodied and almost juice-like mouthfeel, this is an interesting smoked. Nice rauchbier!