Duvel Tripel Hop 2012 (Citra)

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at Duvel Moortgat
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 318   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
The first two batches of Duvel Tripel Hop were brewed with Saaz-Saaz, Styrian Golding and Amarillo. From now on Duvel Tripel Hop will have a different hop every year that will be added in the brewing process as well as being used for dry hopping. For 2012 this hop is Citra.

Editorís note: clearly distinguishable, in a circle on the label it reads "Dry Hopped with Citra 2012 Selection"

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
RexTalionis (2985) - FINLAND - NOV 30, 2012
Bottle 75 cl. Clear pale golden, thin bubbly head. Earthy, on the verge to some cat pee and some nessels just like those of a warm and hot sunny summerday in aroma. Dry mouthfeel. A bit rounder when the sediment was poured in.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
burgess1984 (51) - ENGLAND - NOV 29, 2012
Bought from trembling walls in york, itís your typical duvel but over hopped. I know, i know! I feel like hops have become sysnonamous with quality and this beer is good but unbalanced, yes I can taste other hops from earlier in the boil and it has late additions as well as dry hopping but I canít help but feel that if theyíd held back this couldíve been even better.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Douberd (3132) - Arnhem, NETHERLANDS - NOV 29, 2012
A bottle of 330 ml, similar to the classic Duvel, with Tripel Hop written under the name and the clarification, "Dry Hopped With Citra Hops" in a circle, on the lower right side of the label. Since this is made only for this year and theyíre planning to make it with a different hops variety every year, I thought that it deserved a different entry. Poured into a tulip glass, very similar to the Duvel one, after letting the beer warm up a bit. Colour is pale golden yellow, with some bubbles rising to the top and a whooping head of four fingers. Great retention and light lacing around the glass as it goes down. The head never disappears completely, even now, I have a thick part of it into my glass. Aroma is.. fantastic! I havenít met another beer with this kind of fruity aroma. Mostly I get a fruity aroma of dark fruits, but never before something like this. The citra hops are really making a difference. I smell some guava and a bunch of other tropical fruits. Taste is also great, much more bitter than I expected from the smell and much more bitter than the original Duvel too. Some citrus and tropical fruits on the taste again, result of the citra hops I suppose. The alcohol is there, but very masterfully concealed. I get the warming feeling but I canít feel it that much on the taste. Aftertaste is also quite bitter. Full on the body and quite a bit of carbonation, maybe a little too much. I am not a huge fun of Duvel, and donít get me wrong, I like it and I would gladly drink it on every given occasion, I just donít get all the hype around it. But this one, not only I liked it, I loved it, mostly for the superb aroma and then for the great, bitter taste. I had got myself three bottles already, before I even try it, but this one will probably be the first beer that will send me back to the store, in order to get some more and store in my cellar.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
jookos (3357) - FINLAND - NOV 28, 2012
.75 bottle. Yellow, pale, clear. Nose is quite hoppy; greens, grapefruit, nessels. Pale maltyness. Body is medium, quite bitter. Some alcohol coming through. Pale malts, hops. Yeast. Feels a bit raw; a lot of flavor, uncomprimized.

-- bb/h

Hermod (4049) - Vantaa, FINLAND - NOV 26, 2012
33cl bottle, BBE 02/2014. Poured straw color, with a huge, lasting, thick white head. High carbonation. Lovely citrusy, fruity, hoppy and spicy aroma. Flavor has citrus, hops, grass, light spicyness and alcohol burn/warmth. Very dry mouthfeel. Long fruity, lingering finish with orange. Intense, crisp, carbonation tickles my mouth. Despite the alcohol pushing through in the finish, this is quite an awesome beer, a bigger bottle would have been nice.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JEK69 (396) - FRANCE - NOV 25, 2012
Pours very light golden with pure white foam head that last a lot. Citrusy and sweet mouth with a strong bitterness in aftertaste. Nice strong belgian brew. Not dry enough for me, I prefer the regular Duvel. Actually, brewers should not balance bitterness with such a big sweetness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
IlBevitorediLA (452) - ITALY - NOV 21, 2012
Un gran bel vedere nel bicchiere: giallo paglierino, con un bel cappello di schiuma fine e compatta. Al naso subito agrumata e luppolata con un sentore di lievito belga. Al palato carbonata (forse troppo?) amara, resinosa. Poi interviene di nuovo il lievito belga e, successivamente, diventa ancora una volta amara e resinosa. Originale ma buona.

beershopbari (13) - Palo del colle, ITALY - NOV 18, 2012
color oro, schiuma ricca e persistente. líaroma Ť di frutta secca ,formaggio,alcol, con finale amaro e un po aspretto. il profumo di citra Ť morbido e delicato. cheers..

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Bloekie (210) - BELGIUM - NOV 18, 2012
Citrussy sour aroma. Clear golden with a wealthy foamy head. Bubbles keep the beer alive in the glass. Taste is a perfect compromise between bitter and citrus hops, not foregoing the malty sweetness of regular Duvel. This is perfection in a bottle, will be sad to see this edition go... ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
stravale (2478) - Near Carrick-on-Shannon, IRELAND - NOV 16, 2012
Bottle from Appalachian Wines, Edinburgh 151112
Very light lemon yellow, hazy, big frothy white head
Aroma - Zesty citrus hops, touch of spicy hops, background of sweet pale malts, less complex than normal Duvel
Taste - Bitter grapefruit citrus hops, hint of belgian yeast, soft sweet pale malts, tangy but the hops knock out some of the subtle flavours in Duvel making it less complex
Palate - medium carb and body, quite oily, fairly acidic palate. Finish as main flavour, citrus zest hops, citrus oils. There is somewhat bitter acidic astringency note here.
Overall - Itís a good beer, but the strong citrus hops mask the subtle complexity of Duvel and adds some citrus acidity.