overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 4091   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Four generations of the Moortgat family have brought together Pilsner malts, Bohemian hops, and a unique yeast strain to create this intense, aromatic and beguiling ale. This Belgian favourite is best enjoyed chilled (40 - 50 F) with discerning friends or good-looking strangers.

trafford (171) - Germantown, Tennessee, USA - DEC 12, 2005
This is one of my favorite Belgiums that is easy to obtain, even though in TN I had to go to the liquor store because of the alcohol content. It pours a lovely golden color with a thick foamy white head. The carbonation is a little over whelming but adds to the complex taste. It was a nice citrus and yeasty aroma with a smooth Belgium Ale finish. I would recommend this to any one just starting on drinking Belgium Ales.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MarkoR (726) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 11, 2005
Beautiful golden colour. Doesn’t look that strong, but try to drink a few in a short period of time! Smooth to drink. Excellent!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
RooftopRogue (423) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - DEC 10, 2005
A cloudy golden color. A very thick head full of big bubbles and heavy lacing. An aroma marked of hops, wheat, and citrus. The smooth taste of hops and wheat rolls over the taste buds nice and smoothly. The taste lingers on the palate nicely.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
drinkebroer (3) - BELGIUM - DEC 10, 2005 does not count
This is surely my all-time favourit! It is the golden beer that makes you want to drink more... But after a few, you will have troubles getting up, because this is a real strong beer. It has has a strong taste of hop and malt and it has a long finish. Must be drunk in it’s typical big glass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Bart (2938) - Brussels, BELGIUM - DEC 10, 2005
Gold blond, little sprankling, huge white head. Aroma is fruity and herby. Little hops and some yeast. Palate is smouth, fruity and light bitter. Finish is more bitter, but very enjoyable. This is a unique beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
Tobias10 (99) - London, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - DEC 8, 2005
A huge head accompanies this terrific golden beer. So much flavour in such a deceptivly light yellow drink. Loads of aromas of hops and pale malt on the nose, even more in the mouth, a long finnish. Its only falt is it can be a little astringent.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ElGaucho (2307) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - DEC 6, 2005
Malty sweet aroma. Not its best characteristic. Hazy pale gold in color with lots of streaming bubbles and a huge, large bubble white foamy head. Mouth puckeringly highly carbonated and is the first thing you notice when you take the first sip. I took this 750 ml right out of the fridge and it was a little overly cold to start. But with over 25 ounces to get through on my own, I figured I would experience the entire temperature spectrum. Oakes mentiond in his rating that if ever there was a beer you’d need 750 full ml to sample it is this beer. I am about 150 ml into it and I am kicking myself for not waiting to share this with friends. Problem was that all of my other unrated, smaller bottle beers were unchilled. Outstanding balance to this brew. Sweet, but not overly so; highly carbonated but strangely, it works. A very good beer that seems to be re-initiating my PVCs after a month or more hiatus; interesting. I like this stuff, but it doesn’t figuratively hit my sweet spot. $7.49 at Cellars Minnetonka, MN.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Birdiebeagle (958) - Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 6, 2005
A very frothy pour, with a cloudy light medium color. Good head and foamy. A nice sweet flavor with a smooth finish. A great mild golden ale.

iowaherkeye (2698) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - DEC 5, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 16, 2006 Rerating this because I think I did this 7 months ago when I only knew about four different descriptors. Now I know 15. 11.2oz. bottle, best before 06 2008. Pours a slightly hazy light golden color with huge pillowy head. Smells of yeast, lemon, red grapes, pear, dusty, peppery hops, and some grass. Tastes more of the same with some alcohol. Very fruity, high carbonation--for a moment it reminded me of a "Clearly Canadian" drink. Dry finish with a little hop bite. The alohol is very warming. Very good beer, just pissed that I broke the base of my Duvel glass from the gift set within 10 minutes of getting it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
bmanning (142) - Holly Springs, North Carolina, USA - DEC 3, 2005
Pours a lively golden color with a massive foamy white head. Citrus and yeasty aroma with lemon, flowery hops, and spices. The first thing you notice is the very high level of carbonation. It overpowers the taste it is so intense. What I can tell of the taste through the carbonation is that it is somewhat sour and very bitter - not what I was expecting at all. There is a lot of lemon taste with some spices and grassy hops, but that is it - it’s not at all complex. Duvel wants to be a champagne more than an ale. Overall, not very impressed with this.