overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 3783   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Four generations of the Moortgat family have brought together Pilsner malts, Bohemian hops, and a unique yeast strain to create this intense, aromatic and beguiling ale. This Belgian favourite is best enjoyed chilled (40 - 50 F) with discerning friends or good-looking strangers.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Crosling (1863) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - OCT 3, 2004
I had read that the pour was crucial and to be honest, I fucked it up a little. The head exploded and now stands before me, appearing like a mountain sitting almost 3 inches above the glass. We will be referring to him as Mount Duvel. He is slowly subsidding and turning quite ugly, developing lumps and hairy mumps. The ground beneath Mount Duvel is sinking and Mount Duvel is gaining more strength and more power. Do I dare put my nose near this thing? As I put my nose near the glass, I hear a monumental explosion. Suddenly, chunks of bubble gum, lemon drops, pears and peppers come spewing out. Without warning Mount Duvel destructs and the tasting begins. The flavor is surely not overwhemling but still has its many strongpoints. Very spicy and peppery with some pineapple, green apples and pear. The finish is well hopped but somewhat lacking only leaving a banana/clove spicyness and then quickly it scampers away. The high carbonation definately affects the mouthfeel. Very good beer though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jewedekind (450) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 3, 2004
Moderate snow white head that lingers through effervesence. Lemony tropical nose (papaya?). Very sharp up front. Takes a long time to release the complexity of pear, honeydew and citrus. Long warming finish that becomes buttery. If this is the devil, my soul is as good as sold.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
madquacker (1036) - Canberra ACT, AUSTRALIA - OCT 3, 2004
Yes very interesting but wouldnít want to have to drink it regularly too much. Yes I know Iím probably an antipodean slob for somehow not appreciating the merits of this.... but give me something I can drink on a warm day over this tossers drink anyday.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 27, 2004
Huge, billowing lacey, white-as-the -driven-snow head that must be properly poured into itís own glass, or the closest equivalent. You know, Iíve seen people gulp Duvel out of the bottle, and I didnít have my gun on me? Their loss! This is a golden beauty whose aroma has to savored and worshipped. Spicey, fragrant, floral, angelic. Pours clear and golden like a lager or a pils, but, buddy, it ainít! Letting the yeast in with the pour gives an extra amber/ orange haze: go ahead, drink the yeast, itís good for you! Flavor floods the tongue, Saaz hops jitterbug along the taste buds, and the finish will not quit the mouth. Overwhelmingly pleasant! Head settles some, but remains as a 1/2" ring. Excellent with the Thai ginger & curry noodles Iím having. The flavor, the spark, the spice, it all lingers on and on. Is there any greater delight?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Jine (896) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - SEP 21, 2004
Duvel is hot. I have to agree with my friend Tsarman, this devil tempts me to sin and I listen wholeheartedly

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Tejas (871) - Dallas, Texas, USA - SEP 19, 2004
I know Iím in the minority by far but I just donít like this beer. The huge fluffy white head is amazing. It look & smells great. Unfortunately, to me it doesnít taste as great. I really wanted to like this one. I just didnít find it to be smooth at all. I liked the citrus taste to it but I didnít like the bite. Caracole or La Trappe are better Belgian Ales, IMO

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
marcus (6436) - Sacramento, California, USA - SEP 15, 2004
This light-colored ale pours with a very large head, so itís best to use a tulip glass. The sweet-tart flavor is very refreshing, especially on a hot day. Iíve tried all the Belgian golden ales, and I keep coming back to this classic.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Cornfield (5465) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - SEP 13, 2004
Pale, light golden color with a slight haze and rich head. Yeasty with earthy nut flavor under a fruity aroma. Sweet malt flavors with a tangy, citric finish. Balanced hoppy aftertaste.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
GeniusGirl (221) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 12, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 15, 2004 i liked this...great lacing, thanks to sumeet for buying me this bday drink at mantra along with some great eats. the bathroom i visited was crazy cool. the doors of the stalls were made of cop glass so i could see out from the pot but it looked like a mirror from the outside in.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
qdog (201) - Cleveland, Mississippi, USA - SEP 11, 2004
very, very big whitish head, has a sense of bitterness/wheaty taste to me, good color and head...i guess i donít like belgian strong ales