overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 3796   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Four generations of the Moortgat family have brought together Pilsner malts, Bohemian hops, and a unique yeast strain to create this intense, aromatic and beguiling ale. This Belgian favourite is best enjoyed chilled (40 - 50 F) with discerning friends or good-looking strangers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JensenTaster (1719) - DENMARK - MAY 26, 2004
(on bottle)Yeah; this sure is a classic beer for the happy beer-lovers. I give this one top points, because of itīs superb use for any kind of food. The fresh grassy flavour, with tones of heavy banana and hops(?). A sneaky golden, allmost pilsner looking, brew,with the gentle strength of an anaconda, fits dry, salty, spicy, sweet; any dinning perfect. A powerfull taste and a soft ending, makes it a dangerrous compagnion for gardenwork; have it when you have nothing else to do the rest of the day(apart from partying).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
11026 (1772) - Alabama, USA - MAY 24, 2004
Poured a thick, foamy white head that lasted forever. Great lacing. Aroma of alcohol and spice (clovish). Yellow colored and fizzy. Is this what the arrogant bastard was talking about?? Nice taste of spice and alcohol warming. Very carbonated. A good representation of the style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
shameusburp (171) - Virginia, USA - MAY 24, 2004
I tried it because everyone else has tried it. Itís the belgium training beer before moving onto other trappistís. Classic trappist taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
DKlovesbeer (172) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - MAY 15, 2004
The first time I poured a glass of this beer I looked at it for a moment and then burst into a fit of laughter. The clear golden body is simply gorgeous; the eggshell white head is remarkable; the lacing is outstanding, truly world class. What really got me going though was the thickness, and foaminess, of the brilliant white head. A cross between a cloud and a mountain range, I have never seen a head so fluffy in my life. Itís more like whipped cream than beer foam. This is a fine looking beer! Another thing I noticed--and this one changed the way I look at beer glasses--was that the beer was clear enough to see the bubbles rising from the inscribed logo of my Chimay Trappist glass. You have to see it to understand, but trust me, the glass makes all the difference. Aroma is clean and yeasty with big bursts of malt and alcohol. Fruity aromas come out after a few sniffs, as do floral fragrances, and possibly some hops character. Smells a bit like a lager; Iím not sure why. Mouthfeel is effervescent and clean. The distinguishing characteristic of Duvel is a complex sweetness that is both satisfying and arousing. Flavors of yeast, alcohol, cherry, and malt dominate the foreground, while bitter hops linger in the finish. This beer is very refreshing, yet at the same time it is a warming beer. I know this is an ale but if I didnít know better I would label it a super-lager. Overall, I canít think of a better treat on a hot summer afternoon or a crisp winter evening.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Wakie (612) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - MAY 13, 2004
Couldnít believe I had forgotten to rate the devil. A nice Belgian with some light spice. Cloves meet fruit and make this a winner.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gorbalev (2924) - Ontario, CANADA - MAY 13, 2004
330ml bottle. Standard strong wheat spicy smell, possibly touch of banana. Poured large white head, frothy. Settled quickly, good lacing. Constant bubbles. Body was a pale yellow but slightly cloudy as well. Initial taste is all alcohol, almost overpowering. Some spices and fruit notes can be detected once you recover and it warms a bit. The finish was very dry and clean. I’m still pretty new to this style but I was let down in that this is rated so high. I liked it, it was a good beer, but I just found the 8% alcohol tasted way stronger than it should have, and then limited my enjoyment.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
BrainDead (30) - Derby, ENGLAND - MAY 13, 2004
Supermarket bottle. Very strong tasting with a big head and some off flavours like stale spices in an Indian shop.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
MrWalker (926) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - MAY 9, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 10, 2005 Bottle @ Akkurat, Stockholm
Tested the 750ml and 330ml bottles side by side. Could not notice any difference. One of my favourite Belgian beers. Nice, big, rich head. Complex aroma and taste. Easily downed, though 8.5%. Have fooled many muggles into thinking itís much weaker. Should be on anyoneís top 25-list.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ontario102 (794) - Boise, Idaho, USA - MAY 8, 2004
UPDATED: APR 1, 2007 I just donít think this really belongs in the same "class" as Chimey Blue, they both are great,...... itís just too different in so many ways, but who am I? This "Speciale Ale" (why so special) 750ml bottle has a best by date of 17 07 06; it pours with a nice 3-finger, creamy white head and beautiful lacing as it falls from the rim; golden straw color; oh, that aroma: bananas, tropical fruit, yeast; the flavor has somewhat of a sweet malt base with hints of bubblegum and dough, finishes slightly dry, quick, and slightly acidic; moderately full bodied. This brew is has a subdued, yet full of character flavor that is amazingly easy to drink for an 8.5%er; The smell and taste of this brings back many memories, some good, some not so good, of my local "mates" in Brussels. A favorite while there for me, Iíd drink this every day now if I could.........

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Lunkie (1404) - Glen Iris, AUSTRALIA - MAY 8, 2004
Spicy fruity aroma with cloudy colour and great head. Smooth fizzy palate. Great as I am a nursing mother!