overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 3796   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Four generations of the Moortgat family have brought together Pilsner malts, Bohemian hops, and a unique yeast strain to create this intense, aromatic and beguiling ale. This Belgian favourite is best enjoyed chilled (40 - 50 F) with discerning friends or good-looking strangers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Enniskillen (2029) - Salinas, California, USA - FEB 8, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 5, 2004 I shared this with my friends last night, this is an awesome beer. The aroma had notes of honey and almonds. Very smooth, alcohol is very well masked. Just overall an awesome beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
r464 (1928) - Earth, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 7, 2004
Bought a 4-pack of bottles. This is the first. Light yellow in color, tall white head. A fruitiness to the flavor reminds me of citrus and tropical flavors. The strong alcohol is well masked. Dry and crisp.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
raymow (815) - Bensalem, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 5, 2004
This is the 2nd bottle that I've had (the 1st was a couple of weeks ago) and it's definitely starting to grow on me. At 1st I didn't like it that much at all. But now I'm starting to see the appeal - I guess you sometimes need to be in the right mood or the right frame of mind to try a strong, distinctive beer such as this. Antway, after all of that - the beer is pretty good.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
clutchrogers (90) - Broussard, Louisiana, USA - FEB 5, 2004
the aroma is wonderful. there are perfume like aroma along with some bannana and vanilla, but the floral aromas are much more apparent. the head of course is huge and creamy. the color is straw like with an orange hue. the initial flavor is hop orange and apricot. there is bannana and vanilla. bitterness throughout perfectly balancing the sweetness. the finish is relatively long and finishes dry. I'v always liked this beer. it is even tastier in Belgium.

frankR (145) - Davis, California, USA - FEB 4, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 6, 2005 Poured with a thick foam head. Aroma is spicy and tingly, almost like soap. Flavor is spicy and carbonated. Full bodied with a rather light palate. Belgian beer is so different, but excelent. Rerate: Better than I remember, most likey a result of my matured patate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
fly (1417) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - FEB 3, 2004
Someone care to 'splain to me how it is that I wind up missing beers that I've been drinking for 20 years? Maybe that's the explanation. This is the Corona of Belgium - aHem, yeh, right. Guess it's okay to use my Duvel glass on this. And good that it is suited to hold the whipped eggwhite style head that it can create. Spicy and simply delicious.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
1more4dessert (330) - Upstate, New York, USA - FEB 3, 2004
rocky head, thin body, spicy, no real character, dissappointing, perhaps it was too old.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
SubstanceT (1092) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - FEB 1, 2004
Well, first let me say that I think I am starting to avoid the belgian strong ale thing. It just isnt doing it for me anymore. Very clear in colour with lots of carbonation. The nose is musky with just a hint of banana leaves. The taste is just that of belgian strong ales, almost salty. Sodium is very present. Just doesnt do it for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
willblake (2652) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - JAN 31, 2004
Fabulous fluffy foam head that easily reaches beyond the ample volumes of the Duvel glass. Pale straw color with lively carbonation (especially from the D etched in the glass). Delicious aromas of yeast and musk with banana and earth/grass as well as pineapple candy. Palate is light and dryish although somewhat sweet like a lively champagne. Flavors sweet and a touch salty in front, but finishing crisply bitter (and a tad astringent?). Some of the grass and earth comes through in the middle, nice, a bit barn-like. I don't love the finish, but I may like it more after a few more pours of this 8+ABV treat. A steal for the money.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Probiere (992) - Iowa, USA - JAN 28, 2004
Fantastic voluminous fluffy rocky soapy creamy head.....that lasts and lasts and lasts. Smells raisins, doughy, apples, honey, and yeast. Taste sweet and alcoholic. Slightly spicy. Not bad.