overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 4065   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Four generations of the Moortgat family have brought together Pilsner malts, Bohemian hops, and a unique yeast strain to create this intense, aromatic and beguiling ale. This Belgian favourite is best enjoyed chilled (40 - 50 F) with discerning friends or good-looking strangers.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Bockyhorsey (2610) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - APR 27, 2005
Yeasty aroma stood out. Gold color and big head with lots of lacing. Beer flavor was of bitterness and that didn’t do any thing for me as far as this one goes.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
pivnizub (9290) - Bochum, Porúří, GERMANY - APR 25, 2005
Bottle: Mighty rocky white head, straw golden colour, clear; mainly fruity nose (pears, oranges, yeast), but also with a slightly herbal hoppiness; a tinge of sweetness in the beginning switches over to a dry, very long lasting hoppy finish; fizzy, but very smooth and well rounded; deceptive, beginners may take it for a stronger "Pilsener".........

RateandPillage (426) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - APR 24, 2005
Pours medium golden with big white head. Aroma of bread and yeast with a little spice. Nice balance of malt and hops in the flavor, but tends a bit more to the hops. Smooth, and the slightly noticeable alcohol content definitely creeps up on you. Pretty nice.

HermanW (1046) - Coevorden, NETHERLANDS - APR 23, 2005
I have very good memories of this beer. The taste .... The perfect white foam........... The 8.5%........ Ilove this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gachupines (1073) - USA - APR 22, 2005
I’ve had this beer a couple times and the head is always bordering on uncontrollable, I think they’re own glass is the only one that can contain it. Anyways this has a strong aroma and flavor for a lighter strong ale. Fairly clean up front, but there’s a good yeast flavor. Almost similar to a hefeweizen in texture, it has some lingering spice notes that become prevalent. Fairly well balanced but leaves a pleasant aftertaste throughout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BillBrasky (5) - Houston, Texas, USA - APR 18, 2005 does not count
Duvel pours great and the first sip lets you know it’s a quality ale. 800+ reviews can’t be wrong! Has a fairly strong impact, with some spiceyness and light carbonation up front, and some sticky caramel sweetness on the finish. More hops than malt, it is very smooth and full tasting, leaving a distinct dry taste. Does linger for a while, but not in a bad way like annoying relatives.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
ALLOVATE (2617) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - APR 17, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 16, 2005 Took a two year old out of the cellar, don’t know why I waited so long, and cooled it in the fridge for an hour or two. Poured it (13-15 Celsius) into a Delirium Tremens glass and the moment I stopped pouring the head began to rise. A big ’Hallmark’ white cauliflower head formed atop a hazy yellow body. The good 2 inches made it difficult to sample, but I persevered. Initial aroma of cloves, pepper and biting spice, later dwindled into vanilla, caramel and citric sweetness. Similar in the mouth, with a delicate candi sugar and lemon citrus palate, spicy yeast phenols, little alcohol feel, and fruity esters (pears and sweet apples) throughout. Bittering hops down the side of the tongue, with minimal malt tones and a pleasant bitter sweet swallow, light bodied and quite crisp, this was a discernibly quaffable little ’Devil’ of a brew that I feel was best served at cellar temperature. Quite nice!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Shagnasty (130) - Rochester, New York, USA - APR 16, 2005
Duvel tastes, looks and smells like a Hefe or Belgian Whit. Nice citrus taste, combined with a hint of some of the funky flavors of a lambic. Not too distinguishable from Hoegaarden in my opinion, or any other Belgian whit. Good, but not what I was hoping for.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
UnsofistaCat (240) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - APR 16, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2006 Looks like a urine sample, in a good kind of way, if that’s possible: Cloudy and dark yellow with even a very light hint of brown. The head on this beer is hilarious. Cartoon style foam, with odd bubbly landforms…I even think I saw that Arch from Utah. Too me, this beer smells like a simple Pilsner. My first sip was of utter disappointment. I have heard so much about this beer, I thought I was gonna get an ale from Plato’s world of ideas. At first, it tasted like a green bottled pilsner, with a nasty alcohol bite. But that was my first sip. Ten sips later, I was amazed. With some classic Hefeweizan notes, this beer seems to dance different styles on my rookie taste buds. Some times spicy, sometimes sweet, some times dry. Great beer but over priced. Follow up: This beer is really growing on me. I’m not sure exactly what it is, but i know my rating should go up if I’m drawn to this beer every time I go to the store to try something new. I like it more and more. Another follow up: This beer is not as good in the six pack. Maybe its in my mind, but I swear its getting less complex, and a little bit more cloying. Lowering score a little. Will boost it back up if the corked, larger bottles regain my taste buds.....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SayNoToCoors (65) - Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA - APR 11, 2005
Not a bad brew at all! This brew pours a pale golden color with a beautiful rocky head. Typical Belgian fruity notes as to be expected, but there was an underlying complexity in this brew that kept me wanting more. Overall a good Belgian, but not the best.