Brewed by Duvel Moortgat
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 4142   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Four generations of the Moortgat family have brought together Pilsner malts, Bohemian hops, and a unique yeast strain to create this intense, aromatic and beguiling ale. This Belgian favourite is best enjoyed chilled (40 - 50 F) with discerning friends or good-looking strangers.

HermanW (1055) - Coevorden, NETHERLANDS - APR 23, 2005
I have very good memories of this beer. The taste .... The perfect white foam........... The 8.5%........ Ilove this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gachupines (1144) - USA - APR 22, 2005
Iíve had this beer a couple times and the head is always bordering on uncontrollable, I think theyíre own glass is the only one that can contain it. Anyways this has a strong aroma and flavor for a lighter strong ale. Fairly clean up front, but thereís a good yeast flavor. Almost similar to a hefeweizen in texture, it has some lingering spice notes that become prevalent. Fairly well balanced but leaves a pleasant aftertaste throughout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BillBrasky (5) - Houston, Texas, USA - APR 18, 2005 does not count
Duvel pours great and the first sip lets you know itís a quality ale. 800+ reviews canít be wrong! Has a fairly strong impact, with some spiceyness and light carbonation up front, and some sticky caramel sweetness on the finish. More hops than malt, it is very smooth and full tasting, leaving a distinct dry taste. Does linger for a while, but not in a bad way like annoying relatives.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
ALLOVATE (2726) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - APR 17, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 16, 2005 Took a two year old out of the cellar, donít know why I waited so long, and cooled it in the fridge for an hour or two. Poured it (13-15 Celsius) into a Delirium Tremens glass and the moment I stopped pouring the head began to rise. A big íHallmarkí white cauliflower head formed atop a hazy yellow body. The good 2 inches made it difficult to sample, but I persevered. Initial aroma of cloves, pepper and biting spice, later dwindled into vanilla, caramel and citric sweetness. Similar in the mouth, with a delicate candi sugar and lemon citrus palate, spicy yeast phenols, little alcohol feel, and fruity esters (pears and sweet apples) throughout. Bittering hops down the side of the tongue, with minimal malt tones and a pleasant bitter sweet swallow, light bodied and quite crisp, this was a discernibly quaffable little íDevilí of a brew that I feel was best served at cellar temperature. Quite nice!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Shagnasty (130) - Rochester, New York, USA - APR 16, 2005
Duvel tastes, looks and smells like a Hefe or Belgian Whit. Nice citrus taste, combined with a hint of some of the funky flavors of a lambic. Not too distinguishable from Hoegaarden in my opinion, or any other Belgian whit. Good, but not what I was hoping for.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
UnsofistaCat (240) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - APR 16, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2006 Looks like a urine sample, in a good kind of way, if thatís possible: Cloudy and dark yellow with even a very light hint of brown. The head on this beer is hilarious. Cartoon style foam, with odd bubbly landformsÖI even think I saw that Arch from Utah. Too me, this beer smells like a simple Pilsner. My first sip was of utter disappointment. I have heard so much about this beer, I thought I was gonna get an ale from Platoís world of ideas. At first, it tasted like a green bottled pilsner, with a nasty alcohol bite. But that was my first sip. Ten sips later, I was amazed. With some classic Hefeweizan notes, this beer seems to dance different styles on my rookie taste buds. Some times spicy, sometimes sweet, some times dry. Great beer but over priced. Follow up: This beer is really growing on me. Iím not sure exactly what it is, but i know my rating should go up if Iím drawn to this beer every time I go to the store to try something new. I like it more and more. Another follow up: This beer is not as good in the six pack. Maybe its in my mind, but I swear its getting less complex, and a little bit more cloying. Lowering score a little. Will boost it back up if the corked, larger bottles regain my taste buds.....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SayNoToCoors (65) - Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA - APR 11, 2005
Not a bad brew at all! This brew pours a pale golden color with a beautiful rocky head. Typical Belgian fruity notes as to be expected, but there was an underlying complexity in this brew that kept me wanting more. Overall a good Belgian, but not the best.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
paul9639 (116) - New Hampshire, USA - APR 3, 2005
Great beer. Looks like a simple pilsner upon poor, minus being a little cloudy. The aroma has a faint fruit feel to it. The flavor is smooth and refreshing, with a citrus flavor.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Mklein818 (172) - Etterbeek, Virginia, BELGIUM - APR 1, 2005
Duvel was my first Belgian (imbibed at the Wisconsin Union when the drinking age was still 18), and holds a place in my heart. But whatís interesting is despite itís formidable character-strength, bright color, forward palate and pillowy head, it doesnít have much taste! Thatís part of the Duvel deception--it tastes less strong than it is--but it lacks the tastes of even a journeyman tripel. Still, itís a class of its own--and I do drink it from time to time.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ivo (1) - NETHERLANDS - MAR 31, 2005 does not count
This is my favourite beer. The measure to wich all (well not all of them) others are judged. I love the freshness, the hoppy bitterness in the aftertaste, the complexity.. the tricky drinkability.. and the triumphant feeling I get when I manage to poor it out (a little chilled) and it remains crystall clear.. and that foam...