overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 4092   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Four generations of the Moortgat family have brought together Pilsner malts, Bohemian hops, and a unique yeast strain to create this intense, aromatic and beguiling ale. This Belgian favourite is best enjoyed chilled (40 - 50 F) with discerning friends or good-looking strangers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
howie (549) - DeForest, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 12, 2004
Pale straw color, high effervescent but lasting head. Finely sedimented, hard to keep out of the glass. I poured it chilled as suggested on the bottle, which mutes aromas and flavors. So don’t do that. First aromas were of earthy, spicy hops. Later, a subtle fruitiness and some phenols showed up. Flavors are spicy, pils-malty, slightly weird. On one hand, this is an elegantly simple beer, on the other, the complexity one can find in such a simple thing is interesting. A bit like an "Imperial Pilsener" with Belgian yeast complexities.

SED43 (23) - Manhattan, New York, USA - OCT 7, 2004
Complex in aroma; malty with lemon notes and a special spice appeal. Frothy head from start to finish which I sipped from a trappist. Cloudy yellow haze like day olde urine. Strong hoppy taste that quenchs the buds. I liked very much the satisfying strength and flavor, this strong ale had to offer that just kept on giving to the last drop.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - OCT 7, 2004
HUUUUUGE head, that just sits there and stairs back at me. Nice light color, with a nice cloudly color. THe aroma is a bit strange, but complex and mature. Flavor is also complex. Not bad, a unique beer and i can see why it gets the attention.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
IMtheOptimator (1164) - Bethel, Connecticut, USA - OCT 6, 2004
Poured yellow with a monstrous frothy white head that took a long time dissipate and left a thick lacing on the glass. Aroma was quite unusual for a belgian: tart and spice, compared to the usual malt and hops. The taste was very much like the aroma. There was a strong lemony character with a heavy amount of spice, without much of the usual beer flavors. The alcohol was well hidden. There was little bitterness and an overall clean finish. Body was good. Overall a very unique beer, but a little too unusual for my tastes. The tartness took some getting used to.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Adam 13 (4) - Hojbjerg, DENMARK - OCT 6, 2004 does not count
This is an excellent beer in my opinion, it has a major bite to it. What I mean is that from the taste, you cant tell that it is rather strong in alcohol content. In my opinion, it has an amazing and speacial taste to it, one of my favorites.

BeerBaronLS (85) - Grove City, Ohio, USA - OCT 5, 2004
Had a few of these in Brussels. Very good. It has a crazy head and very firm taste. I put it right behind the chimay.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
agulsrud (11) - USA - OCT 5, 2004
my first "real" belgian beer. It has the most riduculous head I have ever seen. It fills have the glass and practically never goes away. The taste is quite unique though, pretty bitter. open like a champagne bottle

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
gws57 (1275) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - OCT 5, 2004
Had this bottled in Chicago, Illinois. You have GOT to be kidding me. No way in hell is this better than 96 percent of all other beers! Head poured very, very thick, which dissipated well into the course of my dinner. Notes of clove and orange in the nose. Taste was much like many other whitbiers I’ve tried. Surely wasn’t worth $7.50.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
robbier (12) - noordwijkerhout, NETHERLANDS - OCT 3, 2004
Yellow body, with a creamy white head -or a white avalanche pouring out of your glass if you’re not carefull enough-. A bit sharp, but what do you expect from a devil? Malty and citrus taste. One of my favorites.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - OCT 3, 2004
I had read that the pour was crucial and to be honest, I fucked it up a little. The head exploded and now stands before me, appearing like a mountain sitting almost 3 inches above the glass. We will be referring to him as Mount Duvel. He is slowly subsidding and turning quite ugly, developing lumps and hairy mumps. The ground beneath Mount Duvel is sinking and Mount Duvel is gaining more strength and more power. Do I dare put my nose near this thing? As I put my nose near the glass, I hear a monumental explosion. Suddenly, chunks of bubble gum, lemon drops, pears and peppers come spewing out. Without warning Mount Duvel destructs and the tasting begins. The flavor is surely not overwhemling but still has its many strongpoints. Very spicy and peppery with some pineapple, green apples and pear. The finish is well hopped but somewhat lacking only leaving a banana/clove spicyness and then quickly it scampers away. The high carbonation definately affects the mouthfeel. Very good beer though.