overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 4285   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Four generations of the Moortgat family have brought together Pilsner malts, Bohemian hops, and a unique yeast strain to create this intense, aromatic and beguiling ale. This Belgian favourite is best enjoyed chilled (40 - 50 F) with discerning friends or good-looking strangers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
bkurtz (1060) - MOROCCO - JUL 22, 2005
Bottle Beautiful head, looks great, good aroma, but I never really liked the taste. Great for its style, but its not my style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Zeswaft (1640) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 20, 2005
Smells great. like bananas and such. Lots of head, looks glorious. tastes like a Steel Reserve. Luckily you get drunk from it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
1FastSTi (3360) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 19, 2005
Poured from a 750. It is spicy and yeasty, light red apple. Coriander and a light pear. The flavor is apples, pear, spicy coriander and mace, cinnamon. The appearance is pretty basic straw colored but has a nice fluffy white head on it. The palate is quite good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
SDalkoholic (2331) - Linda Vista, California, USA - JUL 19, 2005
12 oz bottle black label. Poured a hazy glowing yellow with specks of sediment floating around. Fluffy bone white head that lingers throughout the drink. In the aroma, a faint but present serving of yeast and perhaps apple. I find this Belgian strong ale not to appetizing and that maybe be due to extensive shelf life. What little flavors i do pick up are a small spicey yeast, grain malt, corn, and bitter hop in the finish. Way over rated in my opinion and iím glad i bought a twelve ounce instead of the 750ml bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mustangjoe (183) - redondo beach, California, USA - JUL 19, 2005
Bottle poured into a Duvel glass. Poured just like the picture with an amazing large head. Lacing all the way down the glass. This was my introduction to Belgian strong ales and I did have to adjust to the strength of the alcohol in the flavor. The taste got smoother and better with every sip. Look forward to trying other Belgian ales.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Sten (735) - Westerlo, BELGIUM - JUL 16, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 23, 2010 First rating wednesday, april 12, 2006 7/4/6/4/16 total 3.7 One of the best Belgian strong aleís. A bitter beer with a very rich head, even the foam tastes good. A real good beer. (Bottle 33cl, Bottle 75cl) Rerate: About time to rerate this one. I still remember buying this stuff regularly as a minor. Starting of with duvel and ending the night on lager. But from a moment Iíve got interested in bitter beers and this one wasnít doing it for me anymore. So 3,5 years later after losing interest it was time for a rerate. Very yeasty aroma, I would call it more nostalgic than aroma. Spicy flavour, but very little body. When you drink it cold enough itís refreshing. But donít let it warm up, when the flavour getís through it becomes much worse. But cold itís not good but not bad either. Iíve rated a cold one. (Bottle 33cl)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nightfall (1307) - Hamburg, GERMANY - JUL 11, 2005
Bright golden color. Very rich head ! Citric flavor mixed with malt and alcohol. Bettr when itís very chilled, great aftertaste . A very nice beer overall !

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TURDFERGUSON (4043) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUL 10, 2005
served with an amazingly gargantuan head in a beautiful duvel glass (the only way one should ever consume it) I loved this one from the first to the last sip. Nice aroma, palate full of citrus and yeast. yummers!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ericmc83 (207) - Arkansas, USA - JUL 10, 2005
I didnít have a notepad with me so Iím not going to comment on this from memory. Iíll have to rerate this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Marko (4854) - Split / Zagreb, CROATIA - JUL 9, 2005
Same bottle as on picture, Tolkienís House, Zagreb, from a Duvel tulip.
For some unknown reason, I wasnít that impressed with this. I hoped I would love it, but just couldnít bring myself. Enormous head, damn huge. Golden colour, very lively carbonation. The taste...I expected it to be more complex, but it matched my expectations in sheer pleasantness. A bit spicey/floral and malty, with no trace of the hefty alc.vol.. Damn pleasant. Maybe it was drank at the wrong temperature, maybe I shouldíve had another, donít know, but it just didnít feel complex at all. WIll rerate as soon as I get my hands on another sample.