Brewed by Duvel Moortgat
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 4142   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Four generations of the Moortgat family have brought together Pilsner malts, Bohemian hops, and a unique yeast strain to create this intense, aromatic and beguiling ale. This Belgian favourite is best enjoyed chilled (40 - 50 F) with discerning friends or good-looking strangers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hendo (110) - Sint Anthonis, NETHERLANDS - DEC 7, 2004
Really nice, crackin’ head. You can taste that it is a strong beer, but it isn’t overpowering. Really enjoyed this! :)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
joshpiledean (316) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 6, 2004
Hmmm...I hope this isn’t a bad bottle, as there was mold on the cap when I opened it. Cloudy yellow pour, gigantic white fluffy head with a LOT of lace. Very active carbonation. Sweet nose, yeasty, some alcohol, and a citrus feel. Flavor is kind of bland, sweet, light rich spice. Medium bubbly feel. Aftertaste is pretty boring and dry.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Stew41 (1822) - Woodend, AUSTRALIA - DEC 6, 2004
Pours a massive fizzy head....excellent lacing once it settles. Golden yellow / dull orange with a little haze. Expressive nose - slightly sweet but toasty - very varietal - you know you are drinking a Belgian. Not quite as good in the mouth..more sweetness (might be alcohol driven) and a little spice and cinnamon. Pretty good but cost a truckload in Oz at $6.50 and the higher end Leffe’s IMO opinion offer a little more interest at a lower price.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - DEC 2, 2004
This is one of those few beers in the "how in the world did I rate 1000 beers and not yet rate this one" category. Pours a paley clear golden body with a MASSIVE pillowy white head. The sweet belgain ale aroma permeates the room upon pouring. Light spice, yeast, sweet bubblegum, just enough funk. The flavor is medium sweet, medium biter, lotsof yeast. The palate is too fizzy for my tastes. Over-carbonated (the cork shot out the minute I untwisted the cage! For as light as it is it is a remarkable creation. I just need a wee bit les carbonation. Maybe I served it too warm?

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Burner (78) - Cape Town, SOUTH AFRICA - DEC 1, 2004
great surprisingly flavourful well known belgum ale. Packd full of flavor, fairl y bitter ale!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
pintocb (648) - Darsville, Georgia, USA - NOV 26, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 24, 2006 Kick ass beer. Very effervescent. (Did I spell that right?) Lots of bubbles anyway. The flavor of citrus and heaven. 8.5% Alcohol that dissapears in the flavor. Yeasty. Great clean finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
allphoto (36) - Oakland, California, USA - NOV 25, 2004
This is a high ranking for a Belgian beer of this style to cross my palate. The aroma is of the champagne style, I thought uh oh, not one of these again. I don’t care for champagne. Well I was going to drink this no matter. I was pleasantly surprised. The sweet dry tartness, was fairly well balanced by a decent malt presence. I t still left that tart taste on the back of my tongue, but it wasn’t obtrusive. My Belgian co-worker, drinks only Duvel, and kept telling me to give it a try. I waited a long time....Thanks for the tip Marc, and thanks for the cool Stella Artois bottle opener.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ChillCoat (1029) - Concord, California, USA - NOV 24, 2004
Bottled. Pours a light golden color with a slight haze. Large white lingering head. Yeasty aroma with a tinge of banana. Very carbonated mouthfeel with a powerfully malty taste. Finish is slightly fruity with some alcohol warmth. Fantastic belgian!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - NOV 22, 2004
Extra light in color, like an American lager. Whipped egg white head with large bubbles of carbonation. Sharp malty aroma with some pineapple and yeast. Amazingly delicate, light and spritzy but also full bodied and satisfying. Tastes somewhere between a German Pils and a Trippel. Very easy to drink...I can see where it gets its name.

BlurFan (8) - USA - NOV 22, 2004 does not count
This beer blends the best of everything which explains why it is poured every Christmas in my household, despite its name.