overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 3824   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Four generations of the Moortgat family have brought together Pilsner malts, Bohemian hops, and a unique yeast strain to create this intense, aromatic and beguiling ale. This Belgian favourite is best enjoyed chilled (40 - 50 F) with discerning friends or good-looking strangers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
robertjm (773) - Albany, California, USA - NOV 11, 2001
Scent of fresh yeast. Beautiful straw gold color. Clean alcoholly flavor. Very fine white head of tiny bubbles. Very well balanced between malt and hops. In fact there is only the slightest hop aftertaste mixed with some spicyness, but not cloying like some Belgians. Nice and soft on the palate, with fresh carbonation feel. If you’ve never tried a Belgian beer before, and are reluctant, this would be a really great one to start off with.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
fraternie (826) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 10, 2001
UPDATED: MAY 1, 2003 An excellent Belgian strong ale. Monstrous head, straw colored body. Crisp sweet taste and medium hop aftertaste, strong malt flavor at the beginning. Well balanced and little lingering aftertaste, very smooth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 8, 2001
As a newcomer to Belgian strong ale, it is presumptuous of me to rate this, and I’m sure I will adjust my sense of the style as I become exposed to more examples of it. So far so good, though. I like the intense tingly bite, the strong kick, and the peppery aftertaste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JahNoth (1039) - Rochester, New York, USA - OCT 27, 2001
Do I taste a little banana? Very complex and tasty with a little spicy finish. A delicious treat.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BjorBok Freysa (28) - Reykjavik, ICELAND - OCT 22, 2001
Wow!!! This on is the beer from Hell (which is a compliment in my dictionary), where did they hide that one from me all this time? I just love it! The head is nice, thick and creamy and it just won’t go away. Very impressive! The aroma is great and crispy and the taste is just a rush for all you’re senses. You can feel the hops and some “fruitiness”. A bit complex taste. And the aftertaste…ooo just when you thought things couldn’t get any better the long lasting great aftertaste sneaks up on you with a nice heat feeling from the alcohol.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jbrus (4992) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - OCT 19, 2001
UPDATED: OCT 20, 2003 Light fruity aroma with a hint of vegetable. Yellow color, large white head, very good lace. Light sweet, fruity, light hoppy. Short finish and a little dry.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
tapIluv99 (41) - Plano, Texas, USA - OCT 17, 2001
Just the color of this beer was a turn off; too yellow for me. The beer is puzzling, not sure what to say about this one. In the future, I’ll give it another try.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - OCT 15, 2001
*sigh*. I want to like it. I really do, but I don’t. It lacks the chewy yeastiness of, say, Chimay Blue, and the finish is far too peppery. Don’t get the fruitiness in this one at all.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ssurp (23) - trenton, New Jersey, USA - OCT 12, 2001
I know its the standard Belgian strong, but a bit too peppery in the finish and the alcohol shows up a bit too much at the end also. I like Westvleteren much better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
motelpogo (6749) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - OCT 3, 2001
good introduction to ’weird’ Belgian beer. if that’s what you call it