overall
Brewed by Duyck
Style: Bière de Garde
Jenlain, France
Serve in Stem glass, Tulip

RATINGS: 224   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.18   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
The festive season just wouldn’t be the same without this speciality beer whose arrival is always long-awaited. The tradition of Christmas beers is particular to northern Europe. In the years following the Second World War, the breweries used to sell an original, richer and stronger beer at the same price as year-round beers: this was their gift to their customers. The Duycks have perpetuated this custom by creating a special beer sold at the usual price. Produced with more malt than Jenlain Ambrée (3 different types of malt made from French grown barley and 3 varieties of the most aromatic hops from Alsace), this top fermented, unpasteurized beer, best served at between 6 and 8°C, has a rich amber glow, a denser head and stronger alcohol content (6.8% alcohol by volume). Darker than the traditional amber beer, its torrefied undertones are reminiscent of flowers and caramel. And the 2002 Christmas beer had a hint of orange.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
beersearcher (2382) - Glendale, California, USA - NOV 27, 2010
I did not like this very much at all. Part of Winter Warmer tasting. Exceedingly sweet and not adept at masking the little alcohol at all. Almost pilsner like at the end.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
sunevdj (3271) - Copenhagen OE, DENMARK - DEC 18, 2005
Pours brown with a tanned head. Sweet an very perfumed. Aromas of lots of orange, spices, caramel and a hint of chocolate. The orange aroma doesn´t go well with the other aromas. Dry finish. Too perfumed, too much orange.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
iowaherkeye (2696) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - FEB 3, 2006
750ml bottle, dunno the date. Pours a clear copper amber with small diminishing head.Aroma of a mild skunkiness, a little mustiness, some yeasty tartness, (also a little bit of that orange chocolate candy?). Well, I taste the same chocolate orange thing, so I don’t feel that I was an idiot for smelling that, very small amount of bitterness, some toffee malts in there as well. Kinda watery on the palate. Decent beer at best. I think this may be my first bière de garde, so maybe I may just not like the style yet--but this also could be just a kinda sucky beer. Too much damn orange chocolate

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Rciesla (5499) - Exit 15W, New Jersey, USA - DEC 2, 2008
Bottle from super saver. Pretty sure this was not a fresh release. Hazy amber body with a 2 finger tan head. Overripe fruit, spices, honey. Very thin mouthfeel. I didnt finish this one or my notes. I kept tasting moth in it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
TheGent (656) - , Massachusetts, USA - APR 14, 2012
a 12ox bottle into a stemmed bulb. color is rusted deep red. Aroma reminded me of kids medacine with the yeast, light sweetness and odd fruit mix of grape and pit fruit. Taste was robust malt but a little different. Good experience to have but not amazeing.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
ryanscourt (794) - Latrobe, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 7, 2013
Amber/copper in color, fairly clear. Metallic, malty aroma. Taste is of burnt malts with belgium like spiciness. Lively carbonation. Strange flavor profile. Didn’t do much for me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
soulrefugee (46) - Illinois, USA - OCT 27, 2003
Even though I'm a big fan of these rich types of ales, I just didn't like this one, and I got sick both times I drank it. Chimnay is much better if you insist on a european brew and are willing to pay more. Otherwise try an American brewed belgian ale such as OMMEGANG from OMMEGANG Brewing in Cooperstown N.Y. Its much better.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
BlackHaddock (4115) - Shropshire, ENGLAND - APR 11, 2012
Obtained from a huge French Hypermarket in Calais in Dec 2010, this brown 25cl bottle was one of many in a multi-pack. Best before 25 Nov 2011, this last bottle of the pack was opened and reviewed during one of my ’random beer tasting evenings’ in April 2011. Poured into a La Chouffe stemmed tulip shaped goblet: clear toffee apple red body, with an off-white head on top. A great pity that the head goes completely before you get a real chance to appreciate it. I found hints of malts and cloves in the nose, so fairly Christmassy. The taste was of sweet malts which faded quickly to a nasty metallic feel, this dried the mouth out and combind with the thin, weak body depth left me very disappointed. Years ago I thought the Jenlain (Duyck) beers were the best in France, either I’ve changed my taste, or they’ve changed their beers!

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 29, 2004
Orange, with a smaller head. Unpleasant aroma. I certainly taste some citrus, probably orange. Kind of like a bad orange soda. Not very good.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
ChainGangGuy (4420) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - APR 13, 2011
750ml bottle - $4.54 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia. Appearance: Pours out a clear, darkened orange body with a bubbly, off-white head that’s soon settled out. Smell: Simple syrup and cheap bottom-shelf alcohol coating some fruits, including some dried citrus accents. Might be more to it, but I’m not sticking around longer to find out, as, instead of failing to even pull me in, it’s a beer that pushes you away with its shortcomings. Taste: Toasty malts, a bit of basic caramel, and some simple, unrefined sweetness. Then, a sip of coarse, well-level alcohol quickly scuttles the taste after the dreadful opening. Light cherries, but, with the booze, it yields a hint of cough syrup medicine. Growing dried bitter orange peel midway and into the sizzlingly crisp finish and beyond. Mouthfeel: Medium-light body, with some sugary stickiness to it. Moderate level of crisp carbonation. Overall: Each sip was a bit worse than the last. Frankly, I was quite glad to be done with it and, no, I didn’t get through the entire bottle. Nothing resembling a quality Bière de Garde here at all.