East End Smokestack Heritage Porter

overall

RATINGS: 114   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
StefanSD (2182) - Lakeside, California, USA - NOV 2, 2014
750 ml bottle courtesy of Beerman. The pour is dark brown with huge sudsy beige head that has excellent retention. The aroma is moderate in strength with smokehouse flavors that conjure up images of sausages and wurst. The taste, like the aroma, is a good dose of smoke and its nicely set in a not-too-sweet malt base that features dark chocolate. The palate is full and smooth with soft carbonation. Finishes long and semi-sweet. Overall: One of the best smoked beers I’ve had in a long time. Thanks.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
John25 (630) - Middletown, New Jersey, USA - OCT 16, 2014
Bottle. Black. Smokey aroma. The taste adds more char and bacon grease. Light to medium body with some sweetness on the finish. Pretty good, very smokey.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
conway (1567) - - OCT 16, 2014
Bottle. Dark cola with a thick off white head. Aroma is smoke, bacon and a little chocolate. Taste follows and adds some roasted malt and a hint of vanilla. Medium mouthfeel and carb. Very nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ryanfolty (1883) - Bourbon County, Minnesota, USA - APR 11, 2014
April 11, 2014 - bottle shared by Brandon. Dark brown pour with some head. Aroma was smoke and some bacon. Taste was consistent with aroma.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BVery (6826) - Burnsville, Minnesota, USA - APR 11, 2014
Bomber shared by Brandon - thanks! Deep brown pour with a small spotty head. Awesome nose of smoke and bacon. Slightly dry on the tongue. Really nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
artmcd8 (1712) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 21, 2014
On tap at Cure. Pours a deep dark brown without much head, slight brown head. Aroma is almost like bacon. Taste follows the aroma. Medium thick feel with medium carbonation. This is one of my favorites from East End. Went great with dinner.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Gamin (107) - - FEB 14, 2014
From a cask. Smoke is prevalent in the aroma and flavor. Pretty smooth given the heavy smoke. It's alright.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
drpimento (2280) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 23, 2013
A sample courtesy of Pablo, gracias amigo!! Poured at a good temperature, with a thick, tan, creamy head and lots of lace. Color is an opaque brown black. Aroma is smoke and malt, bit of fruit. Flavors like malt, and smoke are dominant, bittersweet right behind along with tang. I’m not a huge smoke beer fan so subdued smoke is more my speed. Friends like it much more than me. Finish is clean, true, and a little on the short side. Not bad for a smokey treat.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SudsMcDuff (5916) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - DEC 3, 2012
My particular dread--the vivid possibility that left me staring at tree shadows on the bedroom ceiling night after night--was having to lie in a small tent, alone in an inky wilderness, listening to a foraging bear outside and wondering what its intentions were. I was especially riveted by an amateur photograph in Herrero’s book, taken late at night by a camper with a flash at a campground out West. The photograph caught four black bears as they puzzled over a suspended food bag. The bears were clearly startled but not remotely alarmed by the flash. It was not the size or demeanor of the bears that troubled me--they looked almost comically non aggressive, like four guys who had gotten a Frisbee caught up a tree--but their numbers. Up to that moment it had not occurred to me that bears might prowl in parties. What on earth would I do if four bears came into my camp? Why, I would die, of course. Literally shit myself lifeless. I would blow my sphincter out my backside like one of those unrolling paper streamers you get at children’s parties--I daresay it would even give a merry toot--and bleed to a messy death in my sleeping bag. A top draw smoked beer, I really enjoyed it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
tcane7 (1668) - Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 5, 2012
2011 growler/flip top bottle with Ray and Megan. Poured nearly black with thin tan head. Not that much smoke but a little, roasted malt. Average mouthfeel. I don’t really like overly smokey beers and this was pretty solid.