overall
Brewed by Einbecker Brauhaus
Style: Dunkel/Tmavý
Einbeck, Germany

RATINGS: 357   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
In the US, this beer has been given the trendier "Schwarzbier" label.

A bottom-fermented specialty with a mild taste, brewed with aromatic barley malt and mild aroma hops

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Skip (206) - Indiana, USA - APR 14, 2004
Rather a faint shadow of my preferred black beers. The color tends toward red-brown, and the aroma was faint; the taste is properly dry but thin. Just average.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
PsychoGunnar (200) - Bergen, NORWAY - OCT 12, 2014
Dark lager with thick, creamy foam. Feels like silk on the tongue until a bitter brussel sprouts/ruccola-like aftertaste kicks in. The main taste is creamy, soft and sweet, in the middle between pilseners and red ales.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Cajun (197) - Lafayette, Louisiana, USA - MAR 31, 2007
Bottle - Brownish color good head. Sweet roasted malt notes. Same flavor, but kind of plain/flat. I expected something different I guess. Not bad, by any means, but not what I had in mind.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
xsketchyx (184) - Oregon, USA - APR 1, 2004
Faint and unfortunately typical lager smell. Looks super dark brown with moderate head, lots of lacing. Nutty with some sweet syrup flavors. Not terrible stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 1/20
bob32256 (171) - Jacksonville, Florida, USA - AUG 5, 2003
very dark brown color - almost black; very little head; dark malty flavor with a fair amount of bitterness in the aftertaste; not bad, but it wouldn't be on my want list

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bonvivant (168) - Smithfield, Virginia, USA - AUG 1, 2002
The color was right but the flavor was a little too bitter and the malts too subdued. OK overall but I prefer Kostritzer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
RedEft (155) - Wichita, Kansas, USA - FEB 5, 2007
In a chilled mug. Poured dark brown (nearly black) with a weak, tan head. Semi-sweet aroma. Mild roasted malt taste with a somewhat unsettling, artificial sweet overtone that seems to dissipate as the mug goes down. Fairly dry finish and fairly thin mouthfeel overall. A middle of the pack schwarzbier in my estimation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dextolen (151) - Michigan, USA - SEP 2, 2005
Bottle. Pours a dark brown/blackish with a decent tan head. No lacing but my glass was pretty wet. Wonderful licorice sorta anise aroma. I really love the smell of this brew. My wife hates it. I’m like...molasses...and she chimes in "poop". What does she know? Mellow flavors, a bit chocolatey, malty. Dry. I dig it.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
BossHossBikes (148) - California, USA - APR 2, 2009
Bottle. Pours clear mahogany with a huge fluffy off-white head. The aroma is a little skunked with some noticeable maltiness. The skunkiness in the aroma is too distracting for me to pick out other scents. Ugh, green bottles should be banned. Anyway, the mouthfeel is thick and creamy. The initial flavour is slightly skunked, much like the aroma. Past the skunkiness, there isn’t much flavour and tastes kind of watery up until the finish. The finish is very malty with notes of caramel, bread, and molasses. Skunk persists through the finish, but doesn’t completely ruin it. The only thing that seems mildly enjoyable is the finish. The rest of the experience is a chore. This is very sub-par, and the skunkiness isn’t helping at all. If they put some effort into bottling in brown bottles I’d purchase another one to make sure this tasting wasn’t just a rarely spoiled bottle. But alas, it’s a green bottle, so I instantly don’t care to make a second attempt.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
crhensel (145) - New Jersey, USA - JAN 1, 2012
(Bottle into dimpled mug) I was rather surprised by this one. I expected a Schwarzbier to be black and heavy on the roast, to the point where I could taste it. This had none of that. The pour was a dark, deep brown, which is attractive, but when you can see through to the bottom of the glass, schwarz it is not! A thin head formed then was gone almost immediately. There was no real aroma I could put my finger on. There was a hint of a roast and a little pepper, but nothing remarkable. The drink itself was very disappointing. I expect something of this style to be a little thicker and have bold flavor. Upon letting this one sit for a while to warm, I found that the flavors did develop nicely and there was a bit of a caramel malt that came out and gave this some character. Still not my favorite, but not too bad afterall!