overall
Brewed by Kulmbacher Brauerei (Schörghuber)
Style: Doppelbock
Kulmbach, Germany

RATINGS: 916   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This world-famous beer has the character and richness to stand in for fine sherry or port. Just the right degree of sweetness - never cloying; wonderfully aromatic and warming. EKU 28 is the one whenever something good and strong is needed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
MrDick (347) - San Francisco, California, USA - JAN 15, 2003
This beer was brought to me with the official EKU 28 glass - which looked like a mini brandy snifter. Malty aroma and malty taste. As this beer warmed, I understood why it came with that glass - this beer does not mess around with its alcohol. In fact, that was about all that I could appreciate about this beer. If you do not appreciate spirits (not the ghost kind), then you should stay away from this beer. Or else grab a 6-pack of this stuff and have a party with the russian girl living across the street from you.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Kåstå (1273) - Mol, BELGIUM - JAN 13, 2003
Light red-amber beer with a disappearing head. Rubber, tar and candy aroma. Peculiar taste with a port wine flavour.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
joemacaluso (119) - Prairieville, Louisiana, USA - JAN 10, 2003
This beer got me so drunk I wound up the next morning looking at Ms. Piggy. Bad memories, I have no desire to ever drink it again. Just thinking about it 7 years later makes me depressed.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 31, 2002
This was very syrupy and extremely strong. Almost like drinking straight whiskey. Stay clear if you are of the faint of heart.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
ogivlado (5716) - Zagreb, CROATIA - DEC 27, 2002
Bottled(330ml). -not so good beer because 11%alcohol, too strong and too sweet for me, dark amber colored, nice head

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - DEC 16, 2002
Good God, this is like cough syrup (seriously)! Thick (good) Cloying (not good) overly sweet sugars, full of burning alcohol at the finish. Poorly crafted, I say; Unbalanced; Unhappy!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
mixamatt (427) - San Francisco, California, USA - DEC 3, 2002
Took me about 15 years to try this one again and it was just as bad as I remembered.Malty molasses sweetness without enough hop bitterness to balance it.Try a Sam Adams triple bock instead.

1.1
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
bob32256 (171) - Jacksonville, Florida, USA - DEC 3, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 13, 2004 Nice dark amber color, dark colored head. Malt smell, tastes almost like sherry. (I downgraded this one on the 2nd rating. Maybe I just got a bad bottle, but the aftertaste was bad enough that I poured it out.) (1/14/04 - tried it once more, poured it out again)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
buxutis (4) - Vilnius, LITHUANIA - DEC 3, 2002 does not count
Bottled. Too big for me. Too sweet and the presence of alcohol is a bit overwhelming. I would prefer Belgian strong ales

Hugerat (452) - somerville, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 3, 2002
I find this beer pretty darn good. Pours mid-sized head that leaves behind some lace. Malty aroma and even maltier flavor with a strong alcoholic nose. Still, very enjoyable.