overall
Brewed by Kulmbacher Brauerei (Schörghuber)
Style: Doppelbock
Kulmbach, Germany

RATINGS: 979   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23/5   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This world-famous beer has the character and richness to stand in for fine sherry or port. Just the right degree of sweetness - never cloying; wonderfully aromatic and warming. EKU 28 is the one whenever something good and strong is needed.

DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 7, 2003
Cognac aroma, copper colour, tiny cream head. Tastes like Single Malt, well balanced, smooth for 11%. Boldly assertive!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
WISEGUY572 (1377) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 3, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 17, 2007 How odd. A big, hoppy German barleywine. Pours a clear copper, with no head and lace that quickly disappears without a trace. Nose is nothing but alcohol. Taste is well, alcohol and hops. Mouth feel is big and round and full. I would have given it a higher OA rating, except that the alcohol content is so high that this one "costs" me two IPAs, which I would like a whole lot better! // rerated when I realized that I poured half of the beer out. Drain pour can’t get a 3.0. This has too much alcohol and too little of anything else. // And tried it again, and if anything less interesting. I no longer sense hops, just alcohol and sugar.

Cobra (1100) - - OCT 2, 2003
11.2 oz. brown bottle. Best before Jan 02, 2004. Poured out a deep copper color, with no head to speak of, but a slight lacing around the rim of the glass. Aromas are strongly of malts, with a slight candi sugar sweetness in it as well. Slight aroma of hops, nothing too noticeable though. Tasted thick & chewy, like an oatmeal stout almost. Surprizing for a beer of this ABV. Sweet, coats the tongue with a syrup-like consistency. Finishes sweet & strong, with the alcohol making an appearance at the end.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
WabashMan (1024) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - OCT 1, 2003
A nice dark orange/amber color with little head that is gone within a minutre or so starts off this beer. I have to agree with Oakes's Samichlaus reference, as the aroma is very similar. However, not quite as strong! Flavor is also "samichlaus-esque"...again not quite as strong. really, I think this beer has been treated harshly...the flavor is far from undrinkable, in my opinion. Not the best brew...but it has the potential to age very well, I think!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
hopscotch (10613) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - SEP 21, 2003
Crystal clear, burnt orange lager with a fizzy, khaki / orange head. In the nose, the high ABV is fairly well-hidden. Very fruity with notes of fuzzy and tropical fruit. Also, honey, dates and pineapple. The flavor is very malty, sweet and fruity. Again, the high ABV is well-hidden under notes of smoke, vanilla, dates and pineapple. Syrupy mouthfeel. Lively carbonation. The hops and alcohol don't quite balance this big brew out. Dry, alcoholic finish. Throughout, the malt is a touch cloying. Still a very nice brew... as I once again go against the grain.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Enormo (26) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - SEP 10, 2003
Dark red color with absolutely no head. Very Carbonated. Overly sweet with a sharp alcohol bite. Surprisingly, a smoother finish than I was expecting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - SEP 7, 2003
Bottle at the CT River Festival. A very powerfull beer. Strong aroma of malt and alcohol. The flavor is much the same, rather simple, just a back to back pounding of alcohol and malt, if there was more to it than that it was overpowered for me. Deffinatly not something I would like to make a regular but its very good at what it is.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - AUG 30, 2003
This beer was a little light in taste and color than I expected. Unlike some high ABV beers, this didn't do a very good job at hiding the alcohol. Not drain pour, but I've had better.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - AUG 26, 2003
Wow, this is not what I was expecting on my first taste. Very deep golden appareance, with a aromatic hint of rubbing alchohol. Very sweet and a little over sugary which is kind of annoying. Then there is that alchohol burn in the aftertaste. Do not get me wrong I liked drinking this one, but there are something about it that were a little hard to handle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - AUG 26, 2003
Golden alcohol appearance, no head or lacing. Very bocky aroma with presence of alcohol, aroma has hints of blueberry pancakes I think. Flavor is full of sugery fruit flavors with that cherry bock background, flavor is alcoholic as well. This isn't that bad, I think a little underrated for it's flavor.