overall
Brewed by Kulmbacher Brauerei (Schörghuber)
Style: Doppelbock
Kulmbach, Germany

RATINGS: 950   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.24   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This world-famous beer has the character and richness to stand in for fine sherry or port. Just the right degree of sweetness - never cloying; wonderfully aromatic and warming. EKU 28 is the one whenever something good and strong is needed.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
Voivod (304) - Como, ITALY - JAN 20, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 20, 2003 Totally unbalanced beer, with a sickening sweetness in the taste and an even worse aftertaste. Simply too sweet, it's like a syrup: I found this beer undrinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
Verne (263) - Enumclaw, Washington, USA - JAN 20, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2004 I like the smell. Artificial maple syrup add malt with a little Everclear. Flavor profile is to simple for all the malt flavor no balance to this one

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 16, 2003
Holy Malt Batman!!! and malt and malt,did I mention malt? oh and alcohol...not extremely well balanced and sort of anti-climatic considering I've been hording this bottle for 6 months, but quite impressive regardless,reminiscant of a double bock,but without the character.Extremely warming, I'm only half way through it and it's not only caught up with me but passed and me and kicked me in the shins as it went by.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
Crit (3561) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 16, 2003
Amber in color, with nose of alcohol and molasses.Sweet and syrupy with a harsh alcohol heat that is very unpleasant on the palate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
MrDick (351) - San Francisco, California, USA - JAN 15, 2003
This beer was brought to me with the official EKU 28 glass - which looked like a mini brandy snifter. Malty aroma and malty taste. As this beer warmed, I understood why it came with that glass - this beer does not mess around with its alcohol. In fact, that was about all that I could appreciate about this beer. If you do not appreciate spirits (not the ghost kind), then you should stay away from this beer. Or else grab a 6-pack of this stuff and have a party with the russian girl living across the street from you.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Kåstå (1273) - Mol, BELGIUM - JAN 13, 2003
Light red-amber beer with a disappearing head. Rubber, tar and candy aroma. Peculiar taste with a port wine flavour.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
joemacaluso (119) - Prairieville, Louisiana, USA - JAN 10, 2003
This beer got me so drunk I wound up the next morning looking at Ms. Piggy. Bad memories, I have no desire to ever drink it again. Just thinking about it 7 years later makes me depressed.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 31, 2002
This was very syrupy and extremely strong. Almost like drinking straight whiskey. Stay clear if you are of the faint of heart.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
ogivlado (6341) - Zagreb, CROATIA - DEC 27, 2002
Bottled(330ml). -not so good beer because 11%alcohol, too strong and too sweet for me, dark amber colored, nice head

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - DEC 16, 2002
Good God, this is like cough syrup (seriously)! Thick (good) Cloying (not good) overly sweet sugars, full of burning alcohol at the finish. Poorly crafted, I say; Unbalanced; Unhappy!