overall
Brewed by Kulmbacher Brauerei (Schörghuber)
Style: Doppelbock
Kulmbach, Germany

RATINGS: 953   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.24   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This world-famous beer has the character and richness to stand in for fine sherry or port. Just the right degree of sweetness - never cloying; wonderfully aromatic and warming. EKU 28 is the one whenever something good and strong is needed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gunshy (479) - Ohio, USA - JAN 26, 2003
This beer poured a copper amber color and formed a bubbly off white head that left circular lace. An aroma of malt and caramel. A powerful taste of malt and caramel and strong presence of both in the finish. The alcohol comes through as an after affect of the finsh. Nice flavor, but definately a sipper style, even if it does come in a six pack.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DallasBryan (111) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JAN 24, 2003

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
akinm (282) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 22, 2003
i would like some beer with my alcohol please. actually scratch that, i will just keep drinking this clear, dark orange delight. at first the vadka fairy hit me in the nose and said that i wasnt ready for this beer but then the malt came along and fought her off. it was an epic battle fought both on my tongue and in my olfactory senses. i think the winner was me, the third party came in and took care of both sides with happy sip after happy sip and then a few gulps just to prove my point. the malts had represented themselves well with a showing of caramelly sweetness and the alcohol decided that it fought better in a warm body and did its best, which was pretty good, to warm me up. this strong beer can use my tongue and nose as battlefields any time it wants to!

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
Voivod (304) - Como, ITALY - JAN 20, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 20, 2003 Totally unbalanced beer, with a sickening sweetness in the taste and an even worse aftertaste. Simply too sweet, it's like a syrup: I found this beer undrinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
Verne (263) - Enumclaw, Washington, USA - JAN 20, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2004 I like the smell. Artificial maple syrup add malt with a little Everclear. Flavor profile is to simple for all the malt flavor no balance to this one

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 16, 2003
Holy Malt Batman!!! and malt and malt,did I mention malt? oh and alcohol...not extremely well balanced and sort of anti-climatic considering I've been hording this bottle for 6 months, but quite impressive regardless,reminiscant of a double bock,but without the character.Extremely warming, I'm only half way through it and it's not only caught up with me but passed and me and kicked me in the shins as it went by.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
Crit (3562) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 16, 2003
Amber in color, with nose of alcohol and molasses.Sweet and syrupy with a harsh alcohol heat that is very unpleasant on the palate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
MrDick (351) - San Francisco, California, USA - JAN 15, 2003
This beer was brought to me with the official EKU 28 glass - which looked like a mini brandy snifter. Malty aroma and malty taste. As this beer warmed, I understood why it came with that glass - this beer does not mess around with its alcohol. In fact, that was about all that I could appreciate about this beer. If you do not appreciate spirits (not the ghost kind), then you should stay away from this beer. Or else grab a 6-pack of this stuff and have a party with the russian girl living across the street from you.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Kåstå (1273) - Mol, BELGIUM - JAN 13, 2003
Light red-amber beer with a disappearing head. Rubber, tar and candy aroma. Peculiar taste with a port wine flavour.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
joemacaluso (119) - Prairieville, Louisiana, USA - JAN 10, 2003
This beer got me so drunk I wound up the next morning looking at Ms. Piggy. Bad memories, I have no desire to ever drink it again. Just thinking about it 7 years later makes me depressed.