overall
Brewed by Kulmbacher Brauerei (Schörghuber)
Style: Doppelbock
Kulmbach, Germany

RATINGS: 919   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This world-famous beer has the character and richness to stand in for fine sherry or port. Just the right degree of sweetness - never cloying; wonderfully aromatic and warming. EKU 28 is the one whenever something good and strong is needed.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kmeves (1098) - Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 2, 2002
A had a few of these last summer and I don’t remember what happened the rest of the night! Seriously, pleasant aroma, very sweet going down and aftertaste.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Dragonblaze99 (354) - Greater London, ENGLAND - MAR 2, 2002
Very sweet, and the sweetishness covers all the other flavors. Packs one hell of an alcholic punch, though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Northernbrewer (147) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - MAR 1, 2002
Seems like the entire character of this beer is domenated by the scale topping gravity. From a brewing perspective it is well made, and very high gravity beers like this are hard to do. From a drinking perspective this is a difficult beer to drink more than 4-5 ounces of at a time. It can be quite enjoyable, but only in the same contexts as a brandy, say late in the evening after a biting day of January weather. Just don’t serve it with lunch.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - FEB 24, 2002
Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t this used to be about 14% ? Anyway, it is one of the better beers at being able to handle the high alcohol content. Much better than Samichlaus. The original ice beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Got Stout? (173) - Wisconsin, USA - FEB 11, 2002
Ok, I am really going to look like a dumbass rating this the way I did, but maybe VENOM and I have some really odd rating characteristics (or it was in my trunk of my ’72 LTD just long enough...haha). This is my first Eisbock that I had, and it sounds weird, but I think that I can compare it to a Strong Belgian and not think twice. An overwhelming flavor of vanilla and oak really masked the alcohol on my part; not so much on everyone else’s tounge. A sweet, almost tangy palate reckons back to a spoon of sugar. Well, I liked it dammit!

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
Trappist (284) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 20, 2002
Just to sweet. If you can get past the sugary mask their are some good flavors.However after one I knew this was something I would not want to continue on drinking!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JAN 19, 2002
I agree with everyone. Much too sweet! It had some good qualities. It smelled like a sugar cookie! The taste of port would come out more in 3 years and maybe the sweetness would be diminished as well.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
KenB148899 (10) - Island Heights, New Jersey, USA - JAN 19, 2002
Nice and strong,but too sweet and the alcohol taste lingered after the finish.I’ll have a few of these laying around for a while,so I’ll try it again in the future.[possible re-rate?]

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
TAR (2506) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - JAN 8, 2002
Pretty poor. Beer has no head, which is expected by such a strong lager. Whsikey, oak and stuff come to mind. Too much alcohol. Hard to finish a bottle, share with a good pal.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jbrus (4992) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - JAN 4, 2002
When I started drinking beer I almost immediatly switched to the specialties instead of pilsener. Eku 28 was one of the first and back than I thought it was awfull. To heavy for a 16 year old. Today (18 years later)was the second time. And this time it was not so bad. But still ... I don’t really like it. The aroma is port and fruit but that is not how a fresh beer should smell. It has to age to become like port. It’s amber-orange coloured with few head that disappears quickly. Very sweet and thick, alcohol combined with malts and fruits like over mature peach. The finish is malty with some alcohol bitterness and it lasts quite a while.