El Gran Campeon
     click to upload
overall
Formerly brewed at Cerveceria La Constancia (SABMiller)
Style: Pale Lager
San Salvador, El Salvador

RATINGS: 11   MEAN: 1.72/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.87   EST. CALORIES: 117   ABV: 3.9%

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - JUN 17, 2004
Clear bottle. Pours an unattractive yellow with almost no head. Skunky aroma, and typical skunked Mexican lager flavor, with a delightful metallic twist. (I know it’s not from Mexico, but El Salvador is close enough for me.)

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GodsStar (3) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 11, 2004 does not count
A friend picked this one up at a huge grocery chain just to be buying something other than Corona [our favorite] to share with us during an NBA game. We fell in love at first sip. While it’s very similar to Corona it’s a little “richer” and has a more defined “effect”. I call it “Mexican Malt Liquor”. Actually, it’s from El Salvador and now I can’t find it ANYWHERE in Chicago. Does anyone know how can I get my hands on this evasive ale confection?

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
Diego (79) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 22, 2003
Very skunky beer...And that's about all it has going for it. That's a good thing although not a great thing. I mean, I like the skunky quality of it but for crying out loud...Give me somethng more!

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
666seth (222) - California, USA - JAN 9, 2003
bahhhhhhhhhhhhh..... one of the worst! No head at all. though strongly carbonated. little hazy golden in color. Very alcoholic taste and aroma. Stay away!

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - DEC 13, 2002
Straw color, light haze, low carbonation, no foam. Skunky, grapey aroma. Soda like sweetness on the palate, thin, watery. I have to wonder what kind of hops they used. Almost sickly in the finish. I wanted to rate higher than 5 1’s but just couldn’t see where it deserved the extra point.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
flutetokill (523) - Fresno, California, USA - OCT 3, 2002
Pale yellow color, very mild hops aroma, not much flavor at all. Very faint hops bitterness.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - OCT 3, 2002
A strange "rubbing alcohol" aroma. Not a bad flavor, mostly minor hops bitterness and watery. There was a distinctive burnt aftertaste that I’m not sure if I like.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
gws57 (1275) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - JUL 14, 2002
Very refreshing, I recommend it to people who like Corona but want a slight change of pace. Highly drinkable and light.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
maxhits (172) - Pico Rivera, California, USA - MAR 29, 2002
a zesty, bubbly and slightly sweet lager. It has a refreshing zing, is not bitter, has a light head that disappears quickly. Young beer drinkers will like this beer because it can be gulped like soda pop. This is the beer that you will want to drink to quench a thirst.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
21iceman40 (1732) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 7, 2001
Not the greatest and not the worst, but why has the skunk visited all cervezca’s.