Eldridge Pope Thomas Hardyís Ale (all vintages to 1999)

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at Eldridge Pope
Style: Barley Wine
Dorchester, England

RATINGS: 410   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.93   EST. CALORIES: 351   ABV: 11.7%
Creamy butterscotch notes flood the taste buds, laced with subtle complex fruit...and a subtle suggestion of vintage port. Elegant and seamless, this beer was a waltz on the palate.

aledrinkerLS (101) - New Brunswick, USA - FEB 25, 2001
This beer is heaven!

rosebud (47) - Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA - APR 8, 2001
I have to give this one a perfect rating, what a beautiful beer. Only gets better with age. Iíve had the í96 & í97 and can attest to it getting better with age. Truly a beer for barleywine lovers, Iíve had several and this, by far is the best!

mrbeakersalesman99 (17) - USA - APR 8, 2001
what can I say! This beer is sooooo beyond beautiful that you just have to try it if you can find a bottle!!! Itís not being made anymore. I never knew a barleywine style ale could taste this great

opiate (199) - Sandy, Utah, USA - FEB 15, 2002
One of my all time favorite beers for sure. Luckily Iím a member of a local homebrewing club. And Iíve had the pleasure of sharing a few different vintages of this ale which guys in the club have brought to share. Every time...without fail...I feel like Iíve died and gone to heaven when this ale touches my tongue. SUPERB. Strong. Rich. Complex. Malty. In-fucking-credible.

jcalbi (378) - New Jersey, USA - NOV 16, 2002
Update 1997 vintage: Copper bronze in color. the pour yields no head. Very madiera like qualities and see notes below. My numbers ainít moviní. Vintage 1994. Oh dear God this is stage 5 beer nirvana! Smooth, vinuous aroma (slightly oaky as well). Delightful caramel and port-like characteristics. This bottle was pulled out for the host of Split Thy Skull VII and he graciously shared it with a few of us. Truly deserving of my first perfect score. Outstanding!

Crosling (1863) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - MAY 24, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 27, 2008 Have had several vintages, 1983, 1986, 1990, 1999, etc. This review is for the 1986 vintage, which I am consuming as I type this. This is the classic beer for the beer collector, such nectar. The best beer ever produced, quite possibly? Pours very dark, nearly black, the darkest Hardyís Iíve ever seen. Flat, but itís 22 years old. Aromatics of caramel, chocolate and sherry, just amazing. Flavor goes beyond amazing, with amazing chocolate, nougat and caramel. Nearly 120 second finish, which canít be put into words. The 1986 is incredible. While each vintage is different, as a whole, it canít be argued that Eldridge Popeís Hardyís is the most collectible and age worthy beer ever produced.

JStax (2960) - Devola/Marietta, Ohio, USA - MAY 22, 2013
Okay, my second perfect score. Am I getting lax in my ratings? I donít know, but I seriously can find nothing to complain or nitpick about with this beer. Maybe it was just the environment in which I had this beer and I had just enough to drink to make this experience mind blowing. 1999 vintage 12 ounce bottle. Super generous share! Pours a dark copper with a creamy, lasting, beige head of foam. In the aroma I get chocolate covered raisins predominantly. Very complex, malt forward beer. Some cherries, caramel, nuts, toffee all come through plain as day. I cannot get over how awesome this beer is. Itís a pit itís not being made right now. The taste is everything the aroma had to offer, but an explosion of flavor on the tongue instead of just sticking my nose in the snifter. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Lasting chocolate covered raisin aftertaste that lingers for a long time, but that still isnít long enough. I want more of this beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
spagyetti (68) - Puyallup, Washington, USA - JUN 27, 2008
Iíve had a few. 1994,1995,1996,1997,1998. All at varied stages of age. My favorite was the 96í. I bought a case with the last three years in there, All 120 bucks worth! This was in 2002. The pinnacle of brewing? Why not! My only problem is, I wish I was drinking them now.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
drpimento (2219) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 4, 2009
This is a july,1981 bottle 3 15325. Poured flat. Color is dark mahagoney with garnet highlights. Aroma is typical barleywine, malt, sherry, raisins, and dirty socks. Flavor is the same but with more going on: chocolate, a little booze at the end. Frankly, this was a little less than Iíd anticipated. Also going to open a bottle of TH 1975 next: Poured again flat, much better aroma - much more malt, yeast, ripe dark fruit, chocolatey, and must. Flavorís íbout the same but more. Boozy at the end. í75 is way bettter than the í81.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - APR 1, 2001
Defines the English barleywine. Sophisticated and elegant. Smooth and creamy and rich. The flavors are in perfect harmony. A world-classic.