overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 1262   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.93   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 63   EST. CALORIES: 235   ABV: 7.85%
AKA Holiday Ale
AKA Holiday Leftover Ale
AKA Brown Sugar Substitute

VertBaconStrips' rating

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
VertBaconStrips (2093) - Assat, Alberta, - OCT 9, 2012
Remember back in the day when you would fall down the basement stairs drunk as shit at 4AM and be 100% convinced that you never woke your parents? Well, I just fell down the stairs and once again I am 100% convinced that they never heard because they live 30km away - still got the magic!

I feel great knowing that I pretty much bought the entire city supply and drank it all to myself - E-town crew loves me for this and so do I. Drink 72 beers and barely saved one for review because it was so god damn good. Make that 2 - I just drank the last surviving bottle on Earth that I left hanging around for my own funny time reminder. And yea, it still was AWESOME. So awesome. Rare beer does taste better! LOL. Rating goes back to early December 2011 and its just short notes as it was pretty much impossible to review this as it was just pure joy to drink it... even as I drained the entire city’s supply solo. tung: Piles of citrus - citrus that tears apart my mind on every freaking sip - oranges, rrgf, pine, grapefruit rind, cherry, floral greatness remeniscent ... how the hell is that spelt? - of fresh cut flowers, slight grain, honey, apricot, secretions of only the most heavenly of creatures, tropical fruits and soft malts. This beer has absolutely everything I want to smell. Hours... hours have been spent smelling this brewed treasure. Tasty bits: Aside from the outlandish amount of hops and citrus, sweetness and thickness there is a fuckload of malt backing this monster. Sweetness abounds. Pineapple flops around, pine goodness, peaches, lemon, mild caramel, something that might be spearmint, grapefruit, unique malt base darker than it normally is, orange, pepper, resin, light dose of brown sugar for the sweet base, aaaaaa soooo good! medium body that is supported both by the hop thickness and the healthy structure of yummo malts. Perfection. Find me another ASA that beats this and I will marry your daughter that resembles an ugly donkey.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
LearninBeer (385) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - NOV 26, 2014
The aroma is hops, grass and spruce. The color is a golden orange/yellow with big white frothy head, mostly diminishing with excellent lacing. The taste is medium bitter. the body is full, the texture creamy, the carbonation soft and the finish bitter. Drank after guacamole, they don’t go well together. Not bad, a little too heavy after the guacamole.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Pumpkin87 (12) - - NOV 25, 2014
Orangey-yellow pour, medium head stays for a bit. Nose has the dreaded Pine Sol and "grapefruit" hops _ an insult to citrus fruit everywhere _ but an encouraging bit of spiciness as well. That gets more interesting in the glass, as light lemon and coriander fight their way through the resin. This is an American IPA, by no means a seasonal beer, but it offers some complexity in place of brutality. Not great, but it doesn’t suck.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
growler6 (9) - - NOV 25, 2014 does not count
Really enjoyable. 8% alcohol well hidden. . More of any IPA than a seasonal.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jesperhammer (3029) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 24, 2014
22-NOV-2014, bottle @home, from Systembolaget Emporia, as Sucks Holiday Ale. Seems like there are more versions of this. Several reports of a dark beer. Mine was golden, clear golden with a White head. Citrus driven hops. Grape fruit and some spicy elements that I cannot nail. Ginger? Sweet malt but finish is quite dry. Bitter and IPA-ish. Not a lot of X-mas here but that’s OK with me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
HULK777 (406) - - NOV 24, 2014
Tropical fruit, caramel, light spice aroma. Mild grapefruit, caramel, and bread taste.
Earlier Rating: 5/25/2014 Total Score: 4.2
Beautiful beer. Big aroma of tropical fruit; peach, passion fruit, grape, ananas... Hoppy flavor; bready, but foremost fruity, filled with tropical tastes. Well-balanced, where initial sweetness is evened out by a modest bitterness in the aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hermod (3416) - Vantaa, FINLAND - NOV 24, 2014
355ml bottle @Kitty’s 21.11.2014. Poured amber in color, thin, lasting white head. Nice dark fruity, hoppy aroma, oranges and sweetness. Flavor has pine, resiny notes, malt sweetness and finishes with a punchy bitter hoppyness. Sweet, but works no nicely here. Full bodied, slightly boozy perhaps, but really good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
gkeh (231) - Texas, USA - NOV 23, 2014
Crystal clear copper amber pour. Rocky white head. Aroma is grapefruit, pine, caramel malts. Lots of tropical fruit notes on the nose as well. Taste is lacking, however. Thin mouthfeel, and I’ve tasted normal IPAs with better taste. Disappointed

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GJF (1267) - Mount Vernon, Iowa, USA - NOV 23, 2014
Nice clean brew. A smooth malty backbone lightly hopped, semi-sweet finish. It’s not as strong or full-bodied as I expect an American strong, but what do I care?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mcclainc50 (193) - New York, USA - NOV 22, 2014
Pours a light golden color with a thin white head. Aroma of a lot of hops. String hot flavor off the bat, with some sweet overtones in the end bit still a lot of hoppiness. Good holiday beer, just the right amount of spice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
gripweed57 (755) - Hamilton Square, New Jersey, USA - NOV 22, 2014
32 ounce bottle. Pours a honey gold color with a dense rocky beige head. Rich pine and citrus hop aroma. Notes of caramel malt as well. Flavor is caramel and toasted malt with a light spivey nuance. This is a real nice balance of tropical fruit malt and spicy hops that provides a very nice big ale. Lovely clinging lace when all is done.