overall

RATINGS: 1721   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

HoppyAlesToYou's rating

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
HoppyAlesToYou (156) - Saint John, Indiana, USA - MAR 22, 2012
My first experience with this ale was at DLD 2010, early in the day. It was among the six guest tap brews my two buddies and I shared after the gates opened. It was ethereal, especially since it was only $5 a pint. My second sampling of this stout was from a bottle of the 2010 version, which I cellared until Super Bowl Sunday of 2011. It did not live up to the draft version I had the previous April, and I was rather dismayed at having dropped $7 for the bottle. So dismayed, that I did not pursue any 2011 KBS. Not having it last year and reading about its planned release this year rekindled my fire that had burned for this brew after my DLD experience. My 2012 bottle has restored my fondness, and made me want for more. Keep in mind that I am drinking this on the third day of spring in northwest Indiana, which would typically be weather appropriate. However, it was over eighty degrees this afternoon and lingers near seventy this evening. Not ideal BA stout sipping conditions, but KBS was heat proof. The aroma was predominantly chocolate, roasted coffee, resin (yes, that kind), and vanilla (yum) with slight floral notes and traces of alcohol and woodiness. I did pour it aggressively into my seventeen ounce snifter, which produced a short lived brown head. It is as deep as brown can get without being black. The taste validates the aromas, beginning sweetly with slight balancing bitterness followed by a tingly alcohol burn. Its body is medium, with a sticky texture, very soft carbonation, and a long finish. If only this were more readily available at a more modest price point! This is a must try beer if you have a chance, just give your self at least an hour to savor every sip without many distractions. It warrants that type of reverence.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
xBEERxNOLA (57) - - APR 19, 2014
Pour - black. No head. Aroma - slight caramel. Mouth - lightly oily. Low carb. Taste - nothing up front but after swallow. Slightly hoppy on the finish then a rush if coffee and slight bourbon. Overall - excellent. Bourbon comes through the longer you drink. Coffee at the start. Not for sessions.

shawnt302 (1) - - APR 18, 2014 does not count
This is my all time favorite! Very hard to find. Nice bourbon smell on the nose and a smooth bourbon vanilla taste!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
TXBadger (11) - Dallas, Texas, USA - APR 18, 2014
Love having a Friday off, so I’m celebrating with KBS. Just a fantastic coffee aroma on the nose, nice and dark appearance. Smooth mouth feel, coffee, cocoa, and a little roasty malt on the palate. Toffee on the finish. Overall, a great beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mcclainc50 (135) - New York, USA - APR 17, 2014
Pours an inky black with a thick brown head. Aromas of coconut, coffee and malts. Cask aging is up front and powerful with notes of coconut and coffee in the middle with a malty after taste. Excellent beer, worth the cost and then some.

Nehpets (20) - - APR 17, 2014
Just as good as the goose island coffee bourbon aged stout. I love the founders breakfast stout and this is almost heaven. It is worth the hunt.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Aurelius (3908) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - APR 16, 2014
Opaque coffee color. Viscous pour. Sensuous nose - vanilla, whiskey roast, sweet. Whiskey and chocolate, sweet like a Jack Daniels mudslide. Warming. Mouthy, quality oily body. Not hugely bitter. A bit tarry at the end. Sweet roast finish. Reminds me of some familiar chocolate/toffee/caramel candy from childhood. Tap, Proof.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
EcnarM (56) - Shawnee, Kansas, USA - APR 16, 2014
Draft into a 5 oz tasting glass. Deep dark color with an intentionally poured small tan head. Very smooth and subtle build of bourbon flavor with a nice lingering taste left of the palate. Finally got to try it and it lives up to the fame! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ready4Aheady (29) - New York, USA - APR 16, 2014
Bottle pour- black with thin tan head, aromas and flavors of cocoa, coffee, and prominent bourbon. Smooth, long finish. Delicious brew!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rjat (6) - Alabama, USA - APR 14, 2014 does not count
This is 2nd only to Goose a Island Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout. Regular BCBS feel behind because I love coffee in my stout

PhilHarmstead (15) - Vermont, USA - APR 14, 2014
Tap at Farmhouse and 12 ozers at home. Everything you’d want on a late winter’s night by the fire. Strong nose of bourbon, earth, peat, caramels. Once again, proof that god loves us.