overall

RATINGS: 2582   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Pliny the Elder was a Roman naturalist, scholar, historian, traveler, officer, and writer. Although not considered his most important work, Pliny and his contemporaries created the botanical name for hops, "lupus Salictarius", meaning wolf among scrubs." Hops at that time grew wild among willows, much like a wolf in the forest. Later the current botanical name, humulus Lupulus, was adopted. Pliny died in 79 AD while observing the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. He was immortalized by his nephew, Pliny the Younger, who continued his uncle’s legacy by documenting much of what he observed during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Pliny the Elder, the beer, is brewed with 40% more malt and over twice the amount of hops as compared to our already hoppy IPA.

mustangjoe's rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mustangjoe (183) - redondo beach, California, USA - MAR 2, 2011
On tap at Naja’s Place. Simply an amazing brew. This one definitely stands out among the many IPA’s out there. Not an easy beer to find, but if you do, you won’t be disappointed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
aabean (12) - Ohio, USA - MAR 30, 2015
Sharp bitterness at the start that rides out to a smooth finish. Strong grapefruit, pine and soft malts are especially well balanced. Incredibly drinkable. I don’t want this to end.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mmargarucci (115) - Basel, SWITZERLAND - MAR 29, 2015
Pours a beautiful pale orange. Aroma is strong hops with pine, orange, citrus and grapefruit. Taste is very bitter from beginning. Crisp followed by lingering grapefruit aftertaste. Truly an amazing beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JHeath99 (1251) - Warner Robins, Georgia, USA - MAR 28, 2015
Bottle. Pours a vibrant orangish amber with a thin layer of off white head. Taste is amazing, strongly bitter up front that fades into a nice citrus with some malts. Aroma of grapefruit, oranges, and hops.

bigtaster (687) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 28, 2015
From bottle in blind tasting. Clear light orange color with white frothy half finger head. Tons of grapefruit, mango, pineapple, Smooth creamy body. Nice bitter finish, slightly sweet, medium carbonation, long lasting grapefruit pith finish. Well balanced and very enjoyable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bnwokedi89 (85) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - MAR 28, 2015
This is definitely worth the experience. Great hop based beer with a smooth and delicious finish. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

againnagain (3) - USA - MAR 27, 2015 does not count
I’m almost amused by a total score any less than a 4.5... what the hell were you all drinking?! I agree with jbuskirk, just send me more! Unreal drink-ability for a double IPA. Fantastic!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
katrinaez (241) - norristown, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 25, 2015
On tap. Great crisp and hearty beverage. Light spice balanced hops. Something that bites with abv

jbuskirk (534) - Holdrege, Nebraska, USA - MAR 23, 2015
What can I say about Pliny the Elder that hasn’t been said by better thinkers and drinkers than me? It’s freakishly balanced? Nope, someone’s sure to have said that. It’s the perfect mix of spicy, fruity, grassy, piney, and citrusy hops? Nah, someone’s definitely mentioned that. It’s delicious. Got me, again. I’m at a loss on this one. I just want more. Someone give me more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
HuskerTan (662) - Holdrege, Nebraska, USA - MAR 23, 2015
(Thanks Stefan "StefanSD") Bottle. A- Citrus, hoppy, cheese, floral, stone fruits. A- Amber color, hazy liquid, white head. T- Bitter, citrus, pine, balanced. P- Medium body, average texture, medium carbonation, smooth balanced finish. O- First off I have to give a huge thanks to Stefan for not only sending me this but sending me a fresh bottle. Had it only two weeks after bottling. I am also not an IPA fan so this made me nervous, thinking I’m drinking one of the best beers in the world and I might not like it. Well, true to myself, I personally wouldn’t rate this as one of the best in the world, but for an IPA, this was solid, and one I could drink, and not want it to be over. Very balanced and a very good representation of what I wish this style would be more like.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
asheft (2627) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 18, 2015
On tap at Pizza Port, OB. Fresh, resinous pine and grapefruit peel, with lemon and apricot accents. Clear gold under a lasting, pristine, lacy sheet. Flavour is extremely hoppy with tons of apricot and grapefruit pith and assertive bitterness is not over the top. Malt backbone is base malt with some carapils silkiness. Medium body, medium carbonation, midway between crisp and smooth.