Epic Ales Slow Southern Steel

Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 3.32/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 25   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
5000 (6184) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - JAN 12, 2014
Bottle:   Muddy in color, deep dark dirty brown, small to moderate beige head, fairly nice lacing.   Wow, that is chipotle on the nose.   Reminds me of the chipotle mayo at Brouwer’s Café.   Similar tongue, a touch of heat and funk.   Has a vinegar like sweetness to it too, like pickled chipotle peppers or something.   This one is unique, and while a bit odd, its hard to put down.   Body and mouthfeel are moderate.   Finishes sweet, salty, spicy, and peppery, with lingering chipotle.   Very unique.   Word of advice tho, don’t let it warm up or it gets a bit more sour versus sweet vinegar.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Prufrockstar (799) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 3, 2013
Thanks to Dustin for sharing this bottle! Gusher -- gushed and gushed and gushed. Chili peppers; wine, funk, basement, lavender. Another 1-of-a-kind Epic food beer - this one reminds me of bbq potato chips that I dropped and ate, despite not fully cleaning off all the dirt.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
JohnGalt1 (441) - , Idaho, USA - OCT 24, 2013
"We made this farmhouse ale with rye, barley, hops and smoked serrano peppers. It’s a blend of smoke, spice, earth, fruit with funk layered throughout. Many thanks to Santos for inviting us to do this project. Cheers!" Bottle #173/300 Another Buckeyeboy addition to tonight’s tasting. A HUGE gusher.. we lost more than half the bottle. Nose shows plenty of smoke and chilis... Fruit mirrors the aroma with a sorta funky/sour element that actually ties it together a bit... Still, this doesn’t jive too well with me. It reminds me of salsa juice. Would go well in a bloody mary. Again, I respect the vision.. but overall this brew is just not for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
BuckeyeBoy (2611) - Boise, Idaho, USA - OCT 24, 2013
22oz bottle picked up at epic pub. Well I lost half the bottle wow what a gusser. Pours out a hazy amber topped with a long lasting tan head. Aroma of smoke chillies and citrus. Taste is chillies little sour note and some bitterness. At last not a deain pour.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
nealblind (663) - Seattle, Alabama, USA - SEP 20, 2013
Cloudy orange brown pour gusher thin tan head. Aroma of apples. vinegar, chipotle. Tastes like a slice of whole wheat bread slathered with acidic bbq sauce. Dry creamy finish. Awesome savory brew.