overall

RATINGS: 557   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 363   ABV: 12.1%
Itís Big, itís Bad, Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, with Coffee and Cocoa Nibs.

Release #1 : 11.7% ABV
Release #25 : 10.6% ABV
Release #24 : 10.5% ABV

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
JoeTheYounger (1159) - Lake Arrowhead, California, USA - JUL 26, 2012
Release # 4 from bottle at a beer tasting. Dark black as night pour. Aroma is straight fresh ground black coffee. Reminds me of breakfast right away. I like my coffee like my women (big and bold) so this is right up my alley. Taste is just an onslaught of coffee with a nice hint of bourbon and vanilla and a little chocolate. Most barrel aged coffee stouts lose the coffee flavor and is masked by the bourbon and fall short. NOT this baby...it keeps on giving. EPIC keeps on surprising me. One of my favorite coffee stouts of all time for sure.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Itzjerm (1590) - Taft, Tennessee, USA - MAR 8, 2013
UPDATED: APR 3, 2013 Simply amazing. Cream with your coffee not to bitter not to sweet. Just pretty much perfect. Aroma is strong coffee. But balance is almost like drinking hot cocoa. Beyond amazing. Wow why isnít this available where I live? Mouthfeel is creamy with a light bite at the end of a sip.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MattiasA (862) - MalmŲ, SWEDEN - APR 28, 2014
Tasting at Nya TrŲls. Batch #28. Superbly balanced with a slight dominance from the coffee. One of the best imperial stouts iíve had.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
robgibbens (419) - Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA - OCT 9, 2014
Bottle from a friend in Utah. Not much head, could my pour. Great black darkness and nice lacing. Dark roasted coffee bean aroma with chocolate. Nice roasted bitterness on the tongue. Finishes with chocolate, nice a smooth.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
tugboat_801 (23) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - NOV 19, 2014
One of my all time favorites, the release I drank this time was ibis slc # 2072 super strong coffee flavors, which is great but kind of covers the whiskey flavors up. Great breakfast or dessert beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
chucklemation (697) - Pontiac, Michigan, USA - NOV 26, 2014
Pours a jet black with a thick tan foam head. Aroma is strong wood and bourbon, with hints of vanilla and chocolate. The flavor is surprisingly different, with a heavy, thick chocolate taste and lighter bourbon. This is almost like eating chocolate cake, itís so sweet and has such a huge mouthfeel. An incredibly delicious beer, which would get a 5 from me but Iím not a huge fan of a large wood presence in my beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
UrbanCaveman (156) - Ohio, USA - MAY 27, 2015
On tap at The Lackman, arrived in a snifter. Appearance: Your usual imperial stout impenetrable black, capped with a dark brown head that dwindled somewhat quickly to a cap and ring. Lacing was patchy but persistent. Smell: Chocolate, and quite a bit of it, riding atop a wave of coffee and caramel. Some hints of spice as well. Taste: This has some over the top intensity of flavor. The aforementioned chocolate is present in spades, alongside French roast coffee, burnt caramel, white and black pepper, ginger, cinnamon, and a slurry of dark fruits. Some wooden, vanilla, and almost chile-like undertones waft along through the background as well. The finish is sour dark fruit, bread, coffee, and oak. Mouthfeel: Thick, full, sticky, and rich, this is definitely an imperial stout. Overall: Iíd have this again were I to come across it. Iíd have just one, but Iíd still have it again.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Pailhead (5443) - Plymouth, Michigan, USA - MAR 9, 2012
UPDATED: MAR 14, 2012 Bottle: The aroma is an excellent combination of strong roasted coffee, light-moderate chocolate, and light vanilla. It pours a dark brown with no transparency and a one finger tan head. The flavor starts with moderate chocolate, caramel, and a touch of molasses. The finish has lots of roasted coffee, burnt notes, oak, and a touch of vanilla. The bourbon notes are almost nonexistent since the coffee notes are so strong. Thereís no sign of the 11.1% ABV. It?s full bodied with light-moderate carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel. Overall, it comes across as more of a heavily coffee influenced Imperial Stout instead of a barrel aged Imperial Stout...really good stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Darwenus (616) - Virginia, USA - JUN 17, 2012
UPDATED: JUL 15, 2014 A lot has changed since I first rated this beer. Iíve quit smoking and developed a deep and abiding love of huge IPAs, and I figured I ought to review this from my current perspective. Just as last time itís still an imposing looking brew, jet black with a little crimson here and there at the pour, with no real head. Just deep, inviting darkness. The flavor is as strong and uncompromising as I remember. I donít know that I can really say one way or the other if putting a little age on this bottle has made a difference. My bottle was from the third release, and itís 11.4% alcohol. The aroma is all chocolate, coffee and a liquor-like alcohol. The bourbon doesnít so much present itself in the flavor as _haunt_ the flavor, kinda lingering as the last bit of aftertaste after each sip. What hits you hard in the face with each sip is strong, black coffee. Raising the glass sends coffee tones into the nose and across the tongue, and then thereís this deep, absolutely smothering flood of dark, bitter chocolate. Last time I detected more subtle background flavors than I really pick up on this time. Maybe I was bullshitting myself. This time through I get the chocolate, coffee, big alcohol and a little hop tingle, but not a lot else. I still enjoy it, but that initial lust I felt after my first bottle seems to be gone. Edit - Iíve just had a bottle of release 3, which Iíve been aging about two and a half years. itís amazing. The age has knocked all the heat off the top, and this beer is perfect. Itís delicious. Iíd put it up against Kentucky Breakfast or against the best iterations of Borubon County any day. If you can find the patients to age a bottle of this stuff, it pays off in spades. Iíve re-rated it appropriately, and my new personal rating has moved it from a 4.3 to a 4.6. Epicís 3B is, at this point, the beer I am most personally vested in. This beer is amazing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MarinEvelyn (654) - Wisconsin, USA - DEC 12, 2013
Release #23 strong aroma. very coffee-y, cream, sweet, roasted malt. very smooth and creamy taste. roasted malt, coffee, milk, and cream, chocolate.