overall
A Coruña, Spain

RATINGS: 497   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.31   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Bottle: Pasteurised.
Cerveza Especial / Premium Lager
Ingredients: Water, barley malt, maize and hops.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
DarkElf (3038) - La Jolla, California, USA - AUG 15, 2007
05-Jul-06 (12 oz bottle: BevMo in La Jolla, CA; Bottling date of Nov, 2005) Ugh, the bad pale lagers just never seem to end. With the cheap, sweet graininess, the cardboard and the metal shaving, it’s hard to pick out the worst of the flavors of this "Cerveza Especial?" What they really mean by "Especial" is Especially Bad! Some corn in the finish as well, and hops is apparently a four-letter word to the brewer. In the nose, cardboard definitely wins out. Light-bodied, but rather than being clean and refreshing, it has such an awful aftertaste, the only way to get rid of this hang is to brush my teeth. Medium straw in color, but the significant amount of haze masks the scattered carbonation bubbles, an unfortunate turn of events which I find a big detriment to the overall appearance. And that’s too bad because the white head demonstrates pretty nice retention and leaves a few large, dense patches of lace on the glass. Another bad European pale lager that’s unfit for (my) consumption, so down the drain this will go. Beside, a suicidal fly just crash-landed in the beer and now I guess I’ll have to pour the remaining eight ounces down the drain. I will reward that self-sacrificing fly by extracting him from the beer and extending his life. Who knows, maybe he’s been appointed my guardian fly and will save me from drinking another bad beer some day.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Arnie (274) - Chicagoland, IL, Illinois, USA - JUL 30, 2007
Bottled. Clear golden with a white head. Very "Lagery" with a corny nose and typical corn-hop finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
JorisPPattyn (8335) - Ursel, BELGIUM - JUL 20, 2007
Very white head, shrinking despite good carbonation from dark golden beer. Slightly perfumey nose, a whiff of rosewater, lemon and pale, dull malts. Straw, wet hay, old tired malts. Grainy character,little restsugars, and a metallic(copper) - hoppy finish, and traces of mint. Rather watery but not thin bodied; reasonably refreshing. Ho-hum lager. Nothing wrong, little to enjoy. Would it beat a dry white Rioja or a Priorato with garlicky Galician sea-fruit? I doubt it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
gws57 (1275) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - JUL 17, 2007
Thanks Dad! Had this one bottled. Poured a clear, straw yellow with a nice thick, bubbly head, slightly sweet, corny nose which carried into the flavor. Corny malts and very slight hoppiness. Finish was clean but bland. This was my first Spanish beer and I’m a bit disappointed.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
dwyerpg (4789) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JUL 8, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 28, 2008 I have to say that my first rating may be a sign that it was a hot day. I had this again and it was very skunky and bad. Smelled and tasted terrible. First score 2.8 This was a pretty decent lager. A crisp flavor and an okay finish, it goes well on a hot day here in Vegas, and just glad I came to this tapas restaurant - surprised to find a new beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
SSSteve (3917) - - JUL 7, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 18, 2008 cloudy dark gold with a thin filmy head. aroma of stale hops and cider. this may have gone bad. flavors of caramel and stale hops. not really hoppy but the caramel flavors cover it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
morrdt (715) - Dirty Mo’, North Carolina, USA - JUN 17, 2007
Single bottle from a mix pack I made at World Market. Pours a light yellow color with a fizzy head. Aroma is non existent. Taste is a little sweet with a bit of bitterness on the end. I’ve had a lot worse than this, and this was okay.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
BREWMUSKCLES (2359) - New Jersey, USA - JUN 10, 2007
AAAAHHHH YES! NEW YEARS EVE 2004 AT THE ANDALUCIA 9TH AVE NYC! MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE OF 25 YEARS, WONDERFUL SPANISH FOOD (SEAFOOD OF COURSE) AND A DECENT SPANISH BEER. YEAH, THE FOOD WAS BETTER THAN THE BEER.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - JUN 5, 2007
My best friend just returned from Spain and while there he said that the two most popular beers in Spain were San Miquel and this one. So in an effort to see what the Spaniards are drinking, I popped the top on this and gave it a go. Aroma was lightly skunked, corn flakes and suprisingly a hop aroma (albeit very weak). Appearance was yellow, clear and fizzy. Mouthfeel was light, clean. Flavor was mostly corn and malts. Nothing bad, but I don’t see the appeal. Well, I do see the appeal because it’s inoffensive, nearly tasteless and reminded me of the BMC swill here in the States. So this must be the Swill of Spain. Yea for me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Cybercat (3877) - Georgia, USA - MAY 28, 2007
I poured this into a glass to better appreciate it. Color is a nice golden with a very thick head. Aroma is strong and malty, but not complex - rather typical of a lager. Flavor is mostly malty and fairly bitter; finish is smooth. Not an exceptional or exciting beer, but worth a try.