overall
Brewed by Domaine Familial Louis Dupont
Style: Cider
Victot-Pontfol, France

RATINGS: 344   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Note: 2003 vintage bottles are 6% ABV.

Unfiltered, unpasterized cider

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Philip (436) - Illinois, USA - OCT 3, 2005
2003 Vintage. I haven’t tasted quality cider in awhile, and one should expect good things from the makers of Calvados. I was not disappointed. I think the last quality apple product I enjoyed was New Glarus Apple Ale, and this reminded me of its more refined sibling. Some nice tartness and sweetness together. The acidity somewhat takes me aback. I prefered this much more as it warmed to about room temperature, I’m not sure why RB would recommend serving this one at 46.5, which was far too cold to enjoy the nuances of the flavors. Although not a huge cider drinker, this one was one of the better ones I’ve tasted. If I were rating according to style, this would be close to a 5.0

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
csbosox (1223) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - SEP 14, 2005
My first cider rating. I passed a professional degree class tonight, so I thought I would celebrate. 2000 Vintage. 375ml bottle. Served in a flute, per ratebeer reccomendation @ 46.5°. It warmed up to 59° on the third, and last, glass. No "pop" like I expected after pulling the cork. Really hazy gold color with a light fizzy, quick lasting "head" that dies down to a ring of off-white bubbles. There is visible particulate matter in the bottom of the glass, it is finely groud pepper sized. The aroma is sour with a brett-like wool blanket funkiness. The taste is tart, acidic, wool horseblanket, orange peel, with some mild apple flavor. A bit of sugary sweetness evens out the tart midtatste and prepares you for a bracing, tart finish of sour apples, and lemon. The mouthfeel is moderate at times with some chewiness to it, but finishes very refreshing. This is certainly different than the hombrew ciders I have had. The last pour is filled with bigger sediment. I also get a distinct aroma of Stilton or Gogonzola and a taste that follows that aroma pretty closely, must be the sediment.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
CaptainCougar (7132) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - SEP 11, 2005
2002 Vintage sampled on 8/31/05: Pours a clear, bright golden with a fizzy ring of off-white head. Aroma is fresh and appley with some tartness and wild yeasty funk. Body has a nice, sweet fruitiness and good tart balance. Finishes slightly puckering and well-balanced. A very nice, drinkable cider.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - SEP 2, 2005
Poured a hazy gold color with a thin off-white head and lots of fizzy bubbles. Aroma of crap apples, crisp red apples, horesy funk, and just a hint of plastic. Flavorof sweet apples with a short semi-sweet finish. Lightly acidic and crisp. Lively mouthfeel. The leather and horse really comes out as this warmed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DrnkMcDermott (2803) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - AUG 27, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2014 Sampler from bottle at <a href=http://ratebeer.com/Place/illinois/orland-par Orland Park. Hey, French farmhouse cider. First thing I notice is that it’s really cheesy, like some Belgian beers I have known. Then a applejack character comes around to remind you what this stuff is. Pours light and peer-colored, with just a little cloudiness. Still getting my sea legs on ciders, but this is pretty good stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerguy101 (5287) - Newark, California, USA - AUG 17, 2005
2002 Vintage. 375ml bottle. Apple gold color, slightly hazy. Large sized white foamy head. Aroma is apples, pears, with a touch of must and leather. Medium bodied cider. Apples are semi sweet, with touch of cinnamon and nutmeg. There is a lot of guezze /lambic qualities here as well. Leather, must and funk complement the fruit sweetness. A touch tart and perhaps a little lactic (but in a good way). Nice very complex cider. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is clean and crisp. Aftertaste is slightly sweet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
LilKem (1213) - Marietta, Ohio, USA - AUG 1, 2005
this was like drinking apple pie filling, with baking apples, cinnamon, ginger, and some nutmeg. some light birch flavors. pretty carbonated and light buttery crumbs. flavors became more apparent as it warmed. claoudy maize color that was headless like a horseman. thanks b for bringin this over.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Cornfield (5482) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - JUL 11, 2005
Vintage 2002: This is some nasty looking, cloudy stuff, albeit it is the first cider I’ve had that sported such a large, fizzy head... however briefly. The aroma actually reminds me of that of a funkier gueuze. The apple in the aroma seems almost incidental to the overall sourness. It also carries a barnyard, old hay scent with sweated leather and cobwebs. The flavor is close to vinegar but definitetly apple. The lively carbonation also brings with it tastes of lemon, bleu cheese, raw grain, and apple skins & stems. An interesting beverage.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Wine & Spirits, Downers Grove, IL<font size=-1>

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 26, 2005
Decent pour with a bitter smell. Pours a cloudy yellow, with a nasty looking scum within the bottle I lost my drinking partner on this one. All the better for me. as it was a granny smith taste with a metallic taste to finish it up. @003 vintage. By the way my friend said he should of tried this one but couldn’t get past the scum in the bottle.

DocLock (7876) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 16, 2005
Wow, I’m excited about this one. Found the 2002 vintage at Total Wine in Cary, NC. Pours hazy canary with a rapidly fading fizzy head. Huge Brett, Belgian candi sugar, and a sour hopcit aroma. This one smells like the Cantillons. The taste is of initial apples, with a slightly soapy, candi sugar, horse blanket element at mid-palate. Finishes with apples, some Bretty yeast, dusty cobwebs, hops, citrus, and more of the soaped up horse taint element. Very unique, very complex, and I am amazed that a cider can be this good.