overall

RATINGS: 412   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
“When I copied the famous Even More Jesus, I had to ask myself as an artist, why am I doing this? I didn’t honestly know. It was just an instinct about beer as pure form… in a sense this stout is like a metaphor for freedom - the sum of all the beauty that surrounds me and my perfect contemporary existence.”

philipmeese's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
philipmeese (84) - Rowayton, Connecticut, USA - APR 29, 2014
12oz. bottle. Pours opaque black with a brown foamy head that rises slowly and stays. Clean chocolate, toasty aroma. A soft carbonation propels a heavy, but not syrupy, soft sweetness under a complex balanced and heavy malt body. The hot alcohol is very subdued. The body is solid without being sticky. This is a great sipping beer, and after savoring every sip, you come back for more. There is a long sweet, chocolate, malt finish that tapers gradually.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Travlr (15610) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - JUN 29, 2015
Bottle. Opaque dark brown color, thick but small tan head. Aroma of burnt licorice, dark chocolate. Taste is bitter cocoa, plums, prunes. Thick and creamy mouthfeel. Very tasty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
fiammanghilla (800) - Genova, ITALY - JUN 28, 2015
Spina @ ranzani13. Nera con schiuma non troppo persistente. Un po troppo carbonata, caffè e liquirizia

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
shoulderbroken (2672) - Tokyo, JAPAN - JUN 28, 2015
Bottle. Aroma is smoke, roast, marker pens, booze, chocolate. Taste is quite sweet, coffee, caramel, less chocolate, but a bit, can feel the booze. When it warms it’s pretty smooth, chocolate is back, bit of toffee. Warmth definitely takes the edge off. Bit sticky, quite thick. Nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
LordKamina (14) - Santiago, CHILE - JUN 27, 2015
Bought in bottle from beervana served cold about 6* aroma of wood dirt coffee, sweet, alcoholic taste coffee caramel vanilla cinamon, pallates is smootj as velvet. Loved it ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
StevieT (957) - AUSTRALIA - JUN 27, 2015
From a bottle. Pours thick, minimal head, super rich with a creamy mouth feel, intense flavours with aniseed and caramel thrown in. Fantastic

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BobyFischer (140) - FRANCE - JUN 26, 2015
J’épargne ce qui est classique : robe, mousse, etc. Corps extrême : alcool là mais ne "goûte" pas trop.Mais quand même ! Il supporte l’ensemble.Une bonne petite amertume de houblons acidulés, cacaotés, réglisse et herbes discrète.Du sucre il y en a.Fruits rouges mûres et macérés.Mûres, cassis, cerise. y’a très bon.Je mets la note qui va.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 2/20
Prufrockstar (1442) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 25, 2015
Blind RIS experiment [Sample 18 of 20, 5/4/2015]Pitch black pour. Small ring of khaki head. Aroma: Like a booze and soy sauce soaked prune with some additional "overripe fruit on the verge of rotting" element thrown in with a dash of chocolate.
Taste: Way too damned sweet. Way too damned boozy/harsh. Lightly roasty/ashy quality barely can make it through the wall of syrupy decay at first, but I’ll be damned if it isn’t the little engine that could, because it’s creeping up there, too. This beast is hard to drink. I’m not going to be able to finish it, honestly. I’ve had some tough beers in this blind tasting so far, but this is the first I’m not going to be able to choke down. I hate everything about this, and it’s making me die inside just trying to drink it. Oh God make it stop!
Palate: Medium+ body, soft flabby carbonation, slick texture leaves a sugary coating all over everything that somehow, unimaginably, is penetrated now only by this acrid bitterness that builds after the first ounce and just sticks around. Like you took some condensed bitterness, brushed it onto your tongue, then doused it in cola concentrate and cemented it in with a soy-raisin paste.
Overall: Never again.

Would pay: $0. I would have to have lost a bet to drink this again, and even then I might opt for skipping town at dawn or a pair of broken thumbs. So. Fucking. Gross.

Guess: Whatever it is, I pray this is nothing I’ve had and liked before. Possibly Evil Twin?

Addendum: Can not get this horrible burnt bitterness out of my mouth. This is quite possibly the worst imperial stout I have ever had and it won’t let me move on. I’ve dumped you. Let me be free. I WANT CLOSURE.

wekker84 (1850) - etten-leur, NETHERLANDS - JUN 24, 2015
Bottle a black colored beer with a beige head aroma roasted malts spicy citrus fruits some tabacco laurel coffee and hops flavor roasted malts spicy citrus fruits coffee laurel some caramel and bitter hops

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mjansen1310 (132) - Soest, NETHERLANDS - JUN 19, 2015
12 fl. oz. bottle. Pours dark brown with a cream head. Starts off with a sweet chocolate taste with some syrup. Feeling is quite thick. Flows into more spiced and an alcohol heat. Very good, maybe a bit too sweet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Scoobyluvshub (33) - North Carolina, USA - JUN 16, 2015
Bottle. Pours dark brown with light brown head. Aroma was of roasted malts, cocoa nibs. Taste very acidic to me, cocoa nibs present, some bitterness, definitely taste the alcohol.