overall
Brewed by Brasserie Fantôme
Style: Saison
Soy-Erezée, Belgium
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 712   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Fantome's winter offering, available December through March or so. Brewer Dany Prignon changes his receipes every year, so we can't so for sure what this year's beer will be like, but it is sure to please lovers of Dany's beers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
tsarman (794) - Northern, New Jersey, USA - OCT 7, 2005
Odd beer with a interesting spice and aftertaste. Different from most Saisons. Very dark and cloudy brown. Some sourness as well. An odd beer in many ways. One of a kind, but enigmatic. I liked it I hated it, I liked it. Final feeling, decent beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 30, 2005
Bottle, probably from 2003 or 2004. Murky brown color, with a thin off-white head. Aroma has some caramel maltiness. macintosh apples, coconut flakes scattered on waffles. Subdued acidity for a saison, darker malts. Lots of apple flavor, finishing dry and bitter, similar to a cider without as much of tthe sweetness. Another tasty brew from Fantome.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
thedm (5496) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - SEP 29, 2005
This bottled brew was capped and corked with a cork marking of 056/477044. It poured a very large sized head of foamy finely sized brown colored mostly lasting bubbles that left behind a transparent caramel brown colored body and a good lacing. The aroma was that of brown malts and spices that made me sneeze. The mouth feel was tingly mildly vinous and left a tingly sensation on my tongue. It had a mild brown malt flavor that was very carbonated and fizzy with mild spicy notes. The bottle finished with a hazy yeast pour once the top was poured off. Respect this brew! Its carbonation makes its vinousness move into your bloodstream quickly!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
OlivierMTL (709) - Quebec, CANADA - SEP 19, 2005
Cuivrée, aux reflets de couleur rouille, mousse beige pale et plutôt diminuante. Étranges arômes (quelle surprise!), semblant très organique, fortement signée par les levures et rappelant, le composte, des racines de plantes sauvages, le caramel et autres curiosités en provenance de la terre. Présence modérément acide en bouche, telle l’acidité d’un café de céréales, sur des notes de pruneaux, de vieilles feuilles de tabac et de bois. Pratiquement aucune trace d’alcool d’identifiables. Corps d’épaisseur semi mince, semblant légèrement aqueux, douce carbonatation, finale sèche. Bouteille, Spirit Haus, MA, Juin 2005.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - SEP 18, 2005
Another strange brew from Fantome - I kept changing my mind on this one - I liked it, no, I didn’t like it, well, it’s weird, but I kinda liked it....etc. I have to say, this was one ugly pour - looked like hazy brown murky water collected from a puddle, with a thick offwhite head. Plenty to smell here - backyard, flower garden, sweat, hay, citrus. Taste was sour then sweet, tart and spicy, Actually, I’m still not sure if I liked this beer or not, but I’d try it again without a doubt.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 31, 2005
Holy friggin’ head!!! None stop flow. I had to take this into the bathroom and pour some off into a glass. After a few minutes, I looked back at the bottle and it was overflowing with suds again. The beer itself pours a serious dark red/broen color with a merangue of a head that hasn’t moved in a while. Aroma is spicy clementines with a little clove action. Has that signature lemony tartness but there’s a lot of other tastes that kind of drown it out. A bit sweet at first, like a citrus candy. Later starts to become a little dirty, some barnyard, pepper, cigar, and sweaty leather. A very good balance. Not too much of any flavor. All working together very nicely. My favorite Fantome to date.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
hotstuff (4809) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - AUG 29, 2005
Bottle. Large fizzy ivory head that was mostly lasting, fine-small sized bubbles, sparse lacing, transparent, fizzy carbonation, and a reddish hue. Sweet, spicy and some alcohol in the aroma. Sweet, sour, tart, some spicyness, vinuous flavor. Medium body.

mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - JUL 29, 2005
2004 bottle. Amber-brown, frothy tan head. Earth, dust, pepper, slightly burnt toast, dash of cinnamin. Drinks w/ a rich malt character & high CO2 sets if for a sharp, bitter finish. Aroma harken back to memories of an old wet leather shoe at times...and so fondly I recall sniffy that shoe, rollicking in the wet leaves of this beer. Some acidity in the lingering raisin and pepper...very rustic, earthy ale. Quite Good, but could it ever measure up to those bottles of Deep Winter 2000 I used to have??? I can’t see it, but I think i’ll sit on a bottle or 2 for some years to find out.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dorwart (2500) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - JUL 29, 2005
Thin ring of foam is the head after pouring. Lively surface with very good carbonation. Rich aroma with raisins, brown sugar, yeast, spices and a slight sour note. Color is a murky dark orange brown. Wow! lots of spices in the flavor mainly cloves but some ginger and cinnamon also. Quite tasty. Little sour fruit and raisins again. Little fizzy in the mouth and has a spicy and sour ending. I am liking this a lot right now but am not sure how I am going to feel about it after 750 mL. Spices may get to me by then.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Papsoe (25063) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - JUL 27, 2005
(Bottle 75 cl) Beautiful reddish beer, slightly hazy with a decent head. Typical Fantome spicyness although I cannot pinpoint which spices. Some hints of licorice. Nice. 240501