overall
Brewed by Brasserie Fantôme
Style: Saison
Soy-Erezée, Belgium
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 708   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Fantome's winter offering, available December through March or so. Brewer Dany Prignon changes his receipes every year, so we can't so for sure what this year's beer will be like, but it is sure to please lovers of Dany's beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - SEP 18, 2005
Another strange brew from Fantome - I kept changing my mind on this one - I liked it, no, I didn’t like it, well, it’s weird, but I kinda liked it....etc. I have to say, this was one ugly pour - looked like hazy brown murky water collected from a puddle, with a thick offwhite head. Plenty to smell here - backyard, flower garden, sweat, hay, citrus. Taste was sour then sweet, tart and spicy, Actually, I’m still not sure if I liked this beer or not, but I’d try it again without a doubt.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 31, 2005
Holy friggin’ head!!! None stop flow. I had to take this into the bathroom and pour some off into a glass. After a few minutes, I looked back at the bottle and it was overflowing with suds again. The beer itself pours a serious dark red/broen color with a merangue of a head that hasn’t moved in a while. Aroma is spicy clementines with a little clove action. Has that signature lemony tartness but there’s a lot of other tastes that kind of drown it out. A bit sweet at first, like a citrus candy. Later starts to become a little dirty, some barnyard, pepper, cigar, and sweaty leather. A very good balance. Not too much of any flavor. All working together very nicely. My favorite Fantome to date.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
hotstuff (4762) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - AUG 29, 2005
Bottle. Large fizzy ivory head that was mostly lasting, fine-small sized bubbles, sparse lacing, transparent, fizzy carbonation, and a reddish hue. Sweet, spicy and some alcohol in the aroma. Sweet, sour, tart, some spicyness, vinuous flavor. Medium body.

mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - JUL 29, 2005
2004 bottle. Amber-brown, frothy tan head. Earth, dust, pepper, slightly burnt toast, dash of cinnamin. Drinks w/ a rich malt character & high CO2 sets if for a sharp, bitter finish. Aroma harken back to memories of an old wet leather shoe at times...and so fondly I recall sniffy that shoe, rollicking in the wet leaves of this beer. Some acidity in the lingering raisin and pepper...very rustic, earthy ale. Quite Good, but could it ever measure up to those bottles of Deep Winter 2000 I used to have??? I can’t see it, but I think i’ll sit on a bottle or 2 for some years to find out.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dorwart (2497) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - JUL 29, 2005
Thin ring of foam is the head after pouring. Lively surface with very good carbonation. Rich aroma with raisins, brown sugar, yeast, spices and a slight sour note. Color is a murky dark orange brown. Wow! lots of spices in the flavor mainly cloves but some ginger and cinnamon also. Quite tasty. Little sour fruit and raisins again. Little fizzy in the mouth and has a spicy and sour ending. I am liking this a lot right now but am not sure how I am going to feel about it after 750 mL. Spices may get to me by then.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Papsoe (25063) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - JUL 27, 2005
(Bottle 75 cl) Beautiful reddish beer, slightly hazy with a decent head. Typical Fantome spicyness although I cannot pinpoint which spices. Some hints of licorice. Nice. 240501

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 25, 2005
Beautiful hazy orange/copper with a fizzy, tiny tan head. Aroma is sourdough, coriander, anise, orange rind scrapings and lemon drops. Citrusy oranges make their presence felt early on in the flavor profile. Nutmeg mixes with a profound tartness to add yet another nuance to this little gem. Sweet and sour - and subtly spiced – matched with a husky malt bill to fall back on. Somewhat effervescent. Long, bitter finish accompanied by orange crème. Nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DragonStout (1410) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - JUL 19, 2005
this was my favorite of the big europeans we tasted.Hugh aromas of spice and cigar.Flavors of a cigar with some vanilla chasing it.Also had some cinnamon and nutmeg to go along with it.finish was like a fine cigar.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - JUL 15, 2005
Pours murky medium brown with off white head. Initial aroma is sour but turns to spice as it warms. Flavor is all spice, cinnamon and ginger. Would be a perfect winter beer, IMO.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JUL 15, 2005
Poours cloudy deep amber with a big bubbly head. Nose of vanilla co ke and sourness with some yogurt. Flavor is intensely sour like cream soda with a shot of lemon juice. Body is med-light. Finish is dry.