overall
Brewed by Brasserie Fantôme
Style: Saison
Soy-Erezée, Belgium
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 589   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Dany, the offbeat brewer at Fantôme, will try anything, and the results are always interesting. A beer made from dandelions would be worth a try if only because no one has ever brewed one before, but the great news is that this is actually a very good beer.
Dany and some cohorts get busy every spring picking bushels of dandelions that grow in the fields around the picturesque farmhouse brewery. The yellow flowers are removed and dried in the sun, then soaked in water for a few days. The thick, dark dandelion “tea” that results is the basis for the Pissenlit, which is made also from traditional barley malt and hops. It resembles a classic saison beer – golden spritzy brew, strong and very flavorful, with a good hop bite. You may have to strain to taste the dandelions, but you know they’re in there.
It should be noted that uncooked, the dandelion has a diuretic effect and is known in France as Pissenlit (literally, "wet the bed" - this also happens to be the British folk-name) for precisely this reason.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 26, 2004
Funky nose, sour/sweet, fruity, hazy orange, pours a large off-white head. Flavour is citrus and a touch of yeast, tart, acidic. Decent, but I expected more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
argo0 (11555) - Washington DC, USA - DEC 19, 2004
(750ml bottle) Medium beige head atop a cloudy, sediment-filled copper body. Aroma is medium sweet, floral, cookie dough, lemon, orange peel, some wood, light barnyard. Taste is medium sweet, floral, chocolate, wood, orange, some caramel. Alcohol is very well hidden. Delightful light-medium body, lively yet somehow also creamy. I should not be drinking this in the week before Christmas -- instead I should be drinking this on a warm spring day, when the dandelions in the beer could commune with the dandelions at a picnic site, and the glorious intermingling would delight more of my senses than just taste and smell.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
aracauna (3088) - Georgia, USA - DEC 15, 2004
A dark cloudy amber body is topped by a very full, meringue head that lasts a long while. The aroma is highly spicy and slightly floral. I really don’t know what a dandelion smells or tastes like so I won’t pretend that I detect any in the beer. The body is highly carbonated and has a nice nutty malt body to back it up. Actually, it’s a little bit like banana nut bread, but with the nuts heavily outnumbering the bananas.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - DEC 11, 2004
Cloudy orange color, lots of lacing & fizzy head. Nose of barnyard & tart notes with grapefruit. Tastes lightly sweet & floral, planty, very yeast & light. Some dandelion notes are present. Spicy belgian ale, nice spin on the saison. Nice work Dany!

Sham (1845) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 8, 2004
Amber with a foamy head and spottly lacing. Sour funk aroma. Malt goodness. Flowery hops, dandelions, and tart apples. Dusty cobwebs, sour hops and some dandelions. Citrus. I know what dandelions taste like... I remember eating them when I was a kid. :) Dry, lingering finish of funky yeast and caramel malts.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Kinz (3299) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - DEC 7, 2004
Wow. Medium fluffy head, lasted long time. Malt and sour aroma, some yeast, almost textbook Saison. Amazing complex flavor, I can barely describe what all is going on. Clear caramel malt flavors emerge, followed by a burst of funky yeast, random herbs, and a definite bitterness on the finish. This description utterly fails to do this beer justice. Amazing, beautiful stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
11026 (1772) - Alabama, USA - NOV 28, 2004
Bottle. Nice medium amber color. Bitter and tart aroma. The dandelions are noticeable in aroma and taste. Very tart and sour. Bitterness from the dandelions plays on the tongue for a bit. Very interesting.

matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - NOV 8, 2004
Rating # 615
I detest Fantome!
I hate them for creating beers that leave my taste buds yearning for more once the golden elixir is spent. I spite them for creating beers that are so heavenly I dream about them when I sleep. I loathe them for forcing me to pay $13 for a beer, getting me hooked, and then draining my wallet of all funds. I hate this brewery for fashioning liquid perfection! Hate is too strong a word; I love them!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - NOV 8, 2004
Orange/Ambeer Coloring. White Head. Citrusy/Spice Aroma.. Floral..Yeast Flavors.. Sharp Spice..Dry at the End. Definitly Has the Barn Shed Smell/Flavor Going on.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
obisbeer (565) - Barcelona, SPAIN - NOV 6, 2004
Light amber orange w/lots of carbonation. Herbal nose, floral, w/some sour notes. Med weight with bitter dry finish. Light sweetness, w/bitter floral quality on finish, light peach also makes a showing. Very refreshing, though definatly odd.