Fat Heads X-Hop IPA (HBC342)
     click to upload

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 3.88/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Our Brewers like to celebrate hop innovation through experimentation. This experimental IPA is brewed with the trial hop HBC342 which packs this beer with a blast of grapefruit, pineapple and sweet watermelon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
j12601 (6863) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - MAR 5, 2012
Bottle at a small tasting with Max, Paul, and Andy. Pours a clear gold with a medium sized white head. Soft citrus and toast, light hops. Medium bodied, long earthy hops, gritty and dense. Finishes with a long chewy bitterness. Very nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
fiver29 (1036) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - FEB 8, 2012
On tap at the brewery. Pours clear golden color with off white head. Aroma is pine and grapefruit. Its strong. Medium mouthfeel. Flavor follows the nose. Upfront there is a strong and intense pine and grapefruit note. The middle lacks the malt backbone I enjoy from other brews. I donít necessarily have to have the malt note in the middle to enjoy and IPA. This isnít where this beers lacks for me. Its the finish. There is an astringent hop flavor in the finish I donít like. Its overpowering and I felt as though I was forcing it down by the time I got to the end of the glass. Overall this is a great beer. I just donít like the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
pottygok (487) - Ohio, USA - FEB 8, 2012
Aroma: Fruity hop aroma--grapefruit, melon and pineapple. Appearance: Clear, dark gold with white head. Taste: Citrus tart bitterness all the way through. Palate: Medium body, light carbonation, crisp texture, long finish. Overall: Really fun IPA, but a bit one dimensional.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jmikolich (1477) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - FEB 6, 2012
on Tap @ Fat Heads CLE on 2/4/12, the highlight of my sampler, this hop variety rocks with big tropical notes and a delicate sweetness that is exactly what I love in IPAís. I didnt find any pineapple, but grapefruit rocked my world and I can see the watermelon twinge in the end... I hope the hop strand makes a regular appearance in the brewing world.