overall

RATINGS: 256   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.64   EST. CALORIES: 213   ABV: 7.1%
Editor’s Note: Contract brewed for Stienhaus Brewing Co. / Trader Joe’s by August Schell but more recently by River Trent Brewing in Ukiah, CA; which is assumed to be Mendocino Brewing as River Trent Brewing is not a true entity.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
msutequilaman (84) - Troy, Michigan, USA - FEB 16, 2003
Not much head when poured, but the texture was very creamy and with a little swirling, a head formed and lasted till the last swig. Golden color. Very well balanced. Nothing stood out but the result was satisfying.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
666seth (222) - California, USA - JAN 20, 2003
Amber in color with a white head. nothing special, malty nose with malts in aroma. not too sweet. Good deal at Trader joes for 3.99$

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
microdyke (360) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 9, 2003
Dark golden color medium body and medium head. Bananna/fruity aroma slightly hoppy. nothing special.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 11, 2002
chicken pocks scattered the pretty massive off-white head that seemed to shrink as I watched..glimmering bronz in color..aroma spilled with baked bananas and whipped cream or scrambled eggs with sugar?..Eggish I must admit..took me a few sips before I could get anything..too cold i think...egginess flows into the flavor also...in mysterious ways I must say...like a recently collapsed liquor flavored Soufflé...maybe a gran marnier Soufflé without such an orange presence...If 7.1% abv is accurate, then it is very tame..but I do taste an alcohol presence...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
MrRain00 (37) - Columbus, Indiana, USA - DEC 8, 2002
A very average ale. I don’t know that I buy a 7.1 abv, It certainly didn’t taste like it. Anyway, it was very middle-of-the-road. Not bad for a Sunday night before work beer.

1.3
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - DEC 7, 2002
Absolutely horrible! I can’t even describe the aroma. I really tried drinking this thing, but I just couldn’t stomach the whole bottle. Some nice citrus in the aroma, but this incredible urine aroma was almost covering it up. The color was a very uninspiring gold. The flavor was a little malty, a little grapefruit taste, but mainly the very bad urine factor going on. I guess I could’ve gotten a bad bottle, but I’m in no hurry to try another one of these.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 28, 2002
Not bad, but not great. A farily well balanced & uninteresting amber. Doesn’t taste like 7% to me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerguy101 (5277) - Newark, California, USA - OCT 4, 2002
Medium gold color, large head. Medium bodied ale. A malty and hoppy ale, malts slightly sweet. Fairly aggressively hopped. Nice balance. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is smooth and clean. Aftertaste is a little bitter. Taste is a trifle thin, but still a nice beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
NeonLX (261) - Wisconsin, USA - SEP 5, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 24, 2007 Latest update 1/24/07. Our local Trader Joes has been out of this for several weeks now; I’m starting to worry. I drank my last bottle a few days ago and I have to reiterate my respect for this brew. It’s an amazingly good buy and has quickly become one of my "staple" beers. ORIGINAL RATING: I picked up a ’six’ of this on a whim at Trader Joe’s. I wasn’t expecting much for the price, but was pleasantly surprised when I took my first taste--this stuff ain’t bad! It’s fairly ’malty’ with not a lot of hoppiness, but even for people who prefer brews on the bitter side of the spectrum (like me), Fat Weasel Ale tastes pretty darned good. I’ll be a repeat customer for sure...SECOND SAMPLE: Grabbed another six while visiting in-laws in the Chicago area. I’m going to revise my ratings upward slightly because this batch tastes even better than the first ones I tried. My beer-drinking buddy next door was positively amazed at how good this stuff is after I handed him a bottle over the backyard fence...amazing beer for the $$$

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Skrip99 (82) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAR 15, 2002
I thought it was gonna be really bad when i bought a 6-pack. But it’s a decent beer nevertheless. Great price for the taste. Love the alcohol content though...