overall

RATINGS: 257   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.64   EST. CALORIES: 213   ABV: 7.1%
Editor’s Note: Contract brewed for Stienhaus Brewing Co. / Trader Joe’s by August Schell but more recently by River Trent Brewing in Ukiah, CA; which is assumed to be Mendocino Brewing as River Trent Brewing is not a true entity.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ronaldtheriot (1220) - Laplace, Louisiana, USA - JUN 16, 2014
Fat Weasel Ale has a thin, white head, a clear, bubbly, golden appearance, and a good amount of lacing left behind. The aroma is of pungent, semi-sweet bread crust, vegetable oil, and some hop resin. Taste is of sweet, white bread crust, moss, malt, and nice hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light to medium and somewhat slick, and Fat Weasel Ale finishes semi-dry, easy drinking, and delicious. Only a bit of the alcohol shines through. RJT

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
AdamSplitter (7) - Mount Prospect, Illinois, USA - AUG 23, 2008 does not count
Pours deep golden red, with a sweet ,sherry aroma. Offers just a hint of Abbey Ale taste and has a full balanced mouthfeel. Detected a hint of apple? Deep fermented fruit with a nice malty finish. My bottle said it was Steinhaus in Ulm MN, but the brewery appears to be located in California. This was a Trader Joe’s find.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
scraff (2121) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAY 6, 2006
Shiny gold, thick lasting foamy head. Fresh nose of floral hops, bread dough, and soft earthy caramel. Very well balanced with floral and grassy hops that are tightly layered over a sweet malt base. Medium to full bodied, soft smooth carbonation, mellowed hoppy finish. Maybe because this was a fresh bottle, but I thought this was very well done. Underrated in my opinion...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
NeonLX (261) - Wisconsin, USA - SEP 5, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 24, 2007 Latest update 1/24/07. Our local Trader Joes has been out of this for several weeks now; I’m starting to worry. I drank my last bottle a few days ago and I have to reiterate my respect for this brew. It’s an amazingly good buy and has quickly become one of my "staple" beers. ORIGINAL RATING: I picked up a ’six’ of this on a whim at Trader Joe’s. I wasn’t expecting much for the price, but was pleasantly surprised when I took my first taste--this stuff ain’t bad! It’s fairly ’malty’ with not a lot of hoppiness, but even for people who prefer brews on the bitter side of the spectrum (like me), Fat Weasel Ale tastes pretty darned good. I’ll be a repeat customer for sure...SECOND SAMPLE: Grabbed another six while visiting in-laws in the Chicago area. I’m going to revise my ratings upward slightly because this batch tastes even better than the first ones I tried. My beer-drinking buddy next door was positively amazed at how good this stuff is after I handed him a bottle over the backyard fence...amazing beer for the $$$

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 20, 2001
Good beer, nice malt nose and citrus after taste. Hops are noticeable, clean fresh and flavorful. Try it you’ll like it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeerRunner (144) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 27, 2004
Nice beer. Nothing special, but it has a fairly good flavor. For the price (under 5 bucks at Trader Joe’s) you can hardly go wrong. Enjoyable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
jtclockwork (8184) - , New Jersey, USA - MAY 7, 2010
Lightish color in glass. Nose and taste is strong alcohol and bitter. Rated 8/21/03

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerguy101 (5278) - Newark, California, USA - OCT 4, 2002
Medium gold color, large head. Medium bodied ale. A malty and hoppy ale, malts slightly sweet. Fairly aggressively hopped. Nice balance. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is smooth and clean. Aftertaste is a little bitter. Taste is a trifle thin, but still a nice beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Aggie80 (785) - Michigan, USA - MAY 5, 2003
Weak head with a weak lacing. Nice golden yellow color and a nice level of carbonation. Nice touch of crisp bite to the flavor that serves as a good quencher. Aftertaste is a back of the throat touch of hops. A pretty good, drinkable brew!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jasonp (1555) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - SEP 14, 2004
Pours a clear orange/gold with a white head. Aroma is very malty with some floral character. Taste is very full-bodied, sweet and malty with notes caramel, honey and of fruits such as grapefruit and mango. Moderately bitter with a good dose of hops, this brew also has a slight alcohol burn at the end with a hint of dark fruit. As it warms, it seems like a very light barleywine. Doesn’t feel like an amber ale at all. Mouthfeel is very full and round. An underrated brew.