Fifty West Punch You In The EyePA
     click to upload

RATINGS: 28   MEAN: 3.76/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 278   ABV: 9.25%
Our imperial IPA is golden in color with an intense hop bittering, tropical fruit flavor, and a dry finish. OH WILSON PUNCH YOU IN THE EYE!

redlem's rating

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
redlem (1306) - Ohio, USA - JUL 18, 2013
I am writing this because it looks like all the other reviews were from the brewpub and my sample was at Jackie o’s and I had a completely different experience. I ordered this beer and the bartender, who knows me, gives me a tasting glass, I look at him perplexed, sniff and taste the beer..... nothing....I would not even of put this in the pale ale range of style with no hop aroma or taste, no bitterness, and no viscosity. He then told me they had a hefe by this brewery that tasted like water next door. I thanked him for not selling me this beer and ordered a different beer. I will try again if I see it at another place but in the mean time I have to question all aspects of this beer once it was put into the keg.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
tmongoose (1791) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - SEP 7, 2015
draft sampler from the source. poured an clear orange color with white head. the aroma is heavy malt and plenty of citrus hops. I would call this the bigger brother of the coast to coast. very pleasing nose. the flavor on the other hand is deceiving. if this is suppose to be 100 ibu’s you wouldn’t know it. this is quite smooth in bitterness for an imperial ipa. great citrus hop flavor with some floral notes and lots of malt. very deceptive and quite delicious.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bobschaefer (13) - Ohio, USA - SEP 6, 2015
Incredibly well balanced, the higher malty flavor does a good job of balancing out the hop bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
drfabulous (5053) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - AUG 19, 2015
Draught at brewery. Very tasty and full of aroma hoppy IPA. Tropical flavors. Very good overall.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
nathan30533 (913) - Clifton, Ohio, USA - JUL 9, 2015
Very enjoyable fresh ipa. Had this one on draft at a tap takeover. Tasty fruity ipa for 9.25%. Enjoy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Patrickctenchi (5078) - Cox’s Knob, columbus, Indiana, USA - JUN 18, 2015
Draft: Medium gold with an off-white head. Syrupy fruit, orange aroma. Taste is fruity, sticky, orange-peel, resin. Very, very smooth.....big hopping, big flavour... Great stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Capa (2362) - Kitsap, Washington, USA - MAR 18, 2015
Full of citrus hop and resinous goodness. A bit sweet throughout. A very tasty DIPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
swoopjones (7008) - Buffalo, New York, USA - FEB 24, 2015
sample at NIIPAC IIPA CHALLENGE @Gene McCarthy’s, Buffalo, NY. solid IIPA, golden pour, good mouthfeel, tropical hop flavors, some malty backbone. pretty good

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Brigadier (3290) - Clevelandish, Ohio, USA - DEC 30, 2014
On tap at brewpub
A nice deScription led me to add this to the end of my flight. A middle of the road imperial IPA deserves attention if you’ve run out of other ideas. Otherwise I’d stick to a porter or other styles to get a better sense of how Fifty West does across the board.

Aroma / Appearance - Caramel bronze liquid floats idly in the sample sized glass. An ivory head accompanies it. Oaky bitterness warms the air but the rye does not emerge immediately. While robust it lacks the full body of other releases.

Flavor / Palate - A bitter chewy mouthfeel opens up for a second as it moves towards the throat. Grainy oak delays the warmth which is less a punch in the eye and more a tickle. This tastes more like a hoppy English style barleywine than an American style double IPA. Based on these samples I will stick to Fifty West’s more malt driven drafts on a future visit.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jackl (5916) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUN 24, 2014
Bottle shared on the bus in Asheville. Light gold with a small head. Super grassy and fresh. Sweet honeyed meadow, mountain spring bloom. Cantaloupe and mellow tropical bitterness. Pretty bitter on the finish. Medium body, active carbonation. Very accomplished.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
tastybeer (1850) - Indiana, USA - JUN 23, 2014
Draft. Gold pour, white head. Aroma of citrus, floral, tropical hop, caramel. Taste is bitter, citrus, grassy. Palate is average carbonation, bitter finish.