FiftyFifty Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig 20 Year Barrel

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 205   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Imperial Eclipse Stout aged in special release Elijah Craig 20 Year Bourbon Barrels

Note from the brewer: The white wax 2011 Eclipse was all 20 year. There was no such brand when we acquired barrels, so we called it 18 year. We have since found out that the 20 year old barrels were dumped for a 20yo Elijah Craig special bottling.

Vintages:
2011 Imperial Eclipse Stout (Elijah Craig 18/20 Year Barrel) = White Wax
2012 Imperial Eclipse Stout (Elijah Craig 20 Year Barrel) = White Wax

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Macegan75 (707) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 25, 2013
2011 Bottle from my cellar. Pours black with beautiful ruby hightlights. nose is molasses, leather, brandy and dried cherries. First sip is sweet with roasted flavors like fresh espresso, followed lovely bourbon notes with deep dark chocolate followed by slightly smokey boozy brownie finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
MattH (653) - California, USA - DEC 17, 2011
Tap. Black pour. No head. Strong aroma of bourbon. Taste is pleasantly sweet, a little like port. I also got flavors of dark cherry, vanilla, oak, and dark malts. The body is heavy. This beer is definitely a sipper.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hamilton23 (612) - Alpine, California, USA - DEC 24, 2011
Poured from 22oz bottle capped with White wax. Pours black with edges of brown. Very little carbonation and no head at all. Aroma is coconut, vanilla, chocolate and some nice bourbon aromas. Taste is sweet, coconut, vanilla and warming bourbon. This one really tastes a lot like Churchill’s Finest Hour from 2011. Love this one. Nicely done.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Garlic_of_Doom (486) - SWEDEN - JAN 5, 2014
2011 vintage from Dale, thanks! Pours black with a small beige head. Aroma has lots of raisin/port wine, vanilla and chocolate. Taste has liquorice, bourbon like sweetness, dark chocolate, roasted malt, slight heat. Full body with high carbonation, oily and smooth. After taste is bitter and has some bourbon heat.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 17/20
nyindiansfan (463) - rochester, New York, USA - MAY 25, 2012
Bottle pours black hardly any head semi flat very stroung bourbon flavor chocolate vinillia dark fruit. Pretty good nice glacé fresh.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 20/20
barn0216 (421) - California, USA - FEB 17, 2013
Jet black, not much foam, swirling the glass shows some nice legs however. Phenomenal aroma: molasses, raisins, fig, chocolate, cinnamon, and bourbon of course. Taste brings in more of the bourbon along with some cigar tobacco qualities, a mild bitterness from cocoa/coffee. Flavor lingers long after, slowly fading to a mildly sweet and boozy finish. A top ten beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
toxichop (395) - South Gate, California, USA - JAN 4, 2012
Got my hands on a bottle and sure I had some hype for this one with all the great reviews and all the attention this has been getting at bars I was sure looking foward to this. A: Viscious black, thick, used motor oil with a finger head that goes away in a few seconds. S: Straight burbon and alcohol with some chocolate there. T: Lots and lots of burbon almost no stout here just some sweet chocolate malts in there this was bad seems like totality was raped in the barrels. This finishes with heat in the throat and more heat in the tummy this thing made me choke a couple of times like if I where taking shots of crappy burbon. M: Oily and a bit creamy with heat. O: A fucking drainpour I only drank half the bottle before just saying I had enough I just threw my money away at something I had big hope for. Know im not really gonna hate the beer the thing is I heard alot about bottle variation. Seems this is a gamble with with little chance of getting something bad unfortunately I believe I got a bad bottle. I hope to get this in draft hopefully is not bad. The only thing else I can imagine is that I had this pretty warm about 60 degrees but what am I saying this aint fucking coors so I doubt that was a problem. And I love burbon age stouts Parabola and KBS being personal favorites so Im lost.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
HopRedHead (393) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - SEP 13, 2014
Bottle from Mane Liquor. Pours pitch black, dark woody head. Big butterscotch, banana, coconut and toffee aroma. Palate parades plenty of said flavours, vanilla bean, more spice like cinnamon and clove. Lots of caramel across the finish. Yeah I’m fucking done!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Maarten1993 (370) - - JAN 31, 2014
UPDATED: MAR 28, 2014 Drank with Thijs, Mark, Andy & Marjolijn 31-1-2014. Lesser version of the puple one (12 year barrel). Alcohol is less present. The taste is less overwhelming, more neutral. However, still hits the spot on the typical stout-ness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jethrodium (366) - Berkeley, California, USA - MAY 3, 2012
650 ml bottle. 2011 vintage. Pours a dark cola brown with small light tan head settles to a ring, and leaves some light lacing on the glass. The aroma is big cocoa, bourbon, some marshmallow, vanilla, and toffee. The initial taste is sweet with mashmallow, cocoa, some bourbon and vanilla, toffee, caramel, and a bit of roastiness. A hint of alcohol on the finish. Medium body. Medium carbonation. Quite awesome. The flavors all come together quite nicely here. This was quite enjoyable, especially after the big letdown from the brandy. 9.4.9.4.18