FiftyFifty Imperial Eclipse Stout - Elijah Craig 20 Year Barrel

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 196   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.09   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Imperial Eclipse Stout aged in special release Elijah Craig 20 Year Bourbon Barrels

Note from the brewer: The white wax 2011 Eclipse was all 20 year. There was no such brand when we acquired barrels, so we called it 18 year. We have since found out that the 20 year old barrels were dumped for a 20yo Elijah Craig special bottling.

Vintages:
2011 Imperial Eclipse Stout (Elijah Craig 18/20 Year Barrel) = White Wax
2012 Imperial Eclipse Stout (Elijah Craig 20 Year Barrel) = White Wax

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
HopRedHead (354) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - SEP 13, 2014
Bottle from Mane Liquor. Pours pitch black, dark woody head. Big butterscotch, banana, coconut and toffee aroma. Palate parades plenty of said flavours, vanilla bean, more spice like cinnamon and clove. Lots of caramel across the finish. Yeah Iím fucking done!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
toxichop (340) - South Gate, California, USA - JAN 4, 2012
Got my hands on a bottle and sure I had some hype for this one with all the great reviews and all the attention this has been getting at bars I was sure looking foward to this. A: Viscious black, thick, used motor oil with a finger head that goes away in a few seconds. S: Straight burbon and alcohol with some chocolate there. T: Lots and lots of burbon almost no stout here just some sweet chocolate malts in there this was bad seems like totality was raped in the barrels. This finishes with heat in the throat and more heat in the tummy this thing made me choke a couple of times like if I where taking shots of crappy burbon. M: Oily and a bit creamy with heat. O: A fucking drainpour I only drank half the bottle before just saying I had enough I just threw my money away at something I had big hope for. Know im not really gonna hate the beer the thing is I heard alot about bottle variation. Seems this is a gamble with with little chance of getting something bad unfortunately I believe I got a bad bottle. I hope to get this in draft hopefully is not bad. The only thing else I can imagine is that I had this pretty warm about 60 degrees but what am I saying this aint fucking coors so I doubt that was a problem. And I love burbon age stouts Parabola and KBS being personal favorites so Im lost.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
mcmd (314) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - MAY 21, 2013
Pours black with dark brown edges - looks a bit thin, small mocha head which settles quickly. Smells almost identical to Bourbon County which is a good thing and amazing for a ~10% beer - dark chocolate, bourbon, brown sugar, vanilla, hint of coconut. Taste is great as well - a perfect balance of dark chocolate and bourbon, oak, booze noticeable but provides pleasant warmth - I must say this is the most flavor Iíve experienced in an under 12% beer. Hate to compare it to bourbon county again but this is very similar and almost more drinkable without all the booze and thick body. Great stuff

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Maarten1993 (291) - - JAN 31, 2014
UPDATED: MAR 28, 2014 Drank with Thijs, Mark, Andy & Marjolijn 31-1-2014. Lesser version of the puple one (12 year barrel). Alcohol is less present. The taste is less overwhelming, more neutral. However, still hits the spot on the typical stout-ness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
socaltay (204) - Ventura, California, USA - DEC 21, 2011
UPDATED: DEC 25, 2011 Has a very nice, balanced flavor that is incredibly drinkable. Alcohol is listed as 9.5% on the label not 10%. The whiskey notes come through very nicely. I tasted this is a "horizontal" with all the versions released this year and it is amazing to see how each barrel imparts its flavors on the base beer.

bigabe (194) - California, USA - DEC 10, 2011
Wow. Wow... oh wow. Aroma is perfect sweet malts, chocolate, honey, berries, and a finish of oak and a bourbon burn. Taste is just the same... love it when that happens. A perfect balance of toasty malts, chocolates, berry sweetness, and a WONDERFUL, but not overpowering bourbon note on the finish. Texture is thick and almost oily... the color is pitch goddamn black with a thick, frothy mocha head. Another 5.0, for sure. This beer is magical.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
JBoan (176) - Arizona, USA - OCT 7, 2013
2011 bottle thanks to Sparky! This pours black with a decent mocha head that thins quickly. Aroma of this is vanilla, brown sugar, toffee, oak, sweet roasted malt and chocolate. Taste is sweet chocolate, brown sugar toffee, caramel, oak, roasted coffee, malt and barrel char. Sweet balanced, full bodied stout with great complexity. Amazing beer! Best 50/50 Eclipse yet!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
alpar (160) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 14, 2012
Big bourbon notes and a nice dark black with a very good amount of carbonation for a BB RIS. Sweet vanilla and oak mixed with some milk chocolate. Thick mouth feel and a wonderful bourbon taste that lingers for quite sometime. Loved this beer and would put it up there with BCBS. Very nice wish I had another bottle!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
FullObs (133) - Illinois, USA - JAN 8, 2012
22 0z bottle (white wax). My 1st eclipse. Med/thin body. Immediately slammed by the whiskey itís way overpowering and thereís not much stout to balance it out. Corked it and went back tne next day. Stillvery bourbon fwd but at room temp some vanilla swetnesss finishes off. A pretty good beer its growing on me but tne for the price not the best value.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hoprider (105) - DENMARK - MAR 9, 2013
Pours black with a small beige head. Wonderfull aromas of bourbon soaked wood and chocolate, a little bit of vanilla and handbag. The mouthfeel is ultraclean and creamy. Taste is softly roasted malt, soft wood, vanilla, coffee. Ií m having a hard time pulling it apart, itís very complex. The aftertaste has lots of milk chocolate and creamy coffee notes. Absolutely great!