overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 136   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A deep red malt-forward ale brewed with plenty of caramel malts and a touch of rye, brewed and dry-hopped with Palisade and Zythos hops.

MaltOne's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MaltOne (217) - Wisconsin, USA - MAY 26, 2013
(pint can) Pours red amber, with a creamy buff head. Aroma is pleasantly complex - Butter biscuit, slightly sweet, a bit of spice. Taste starts like a Scotch Ale, slightly sweet, malty, then the finish adds a dry, bitter component to the sweeter start, creating some balance to the initial Scotch Ale impression. Mouthful is unctous leaving some sweet and some bitter on the palate - creme brulee with bitter orange. Overall a very interesting brew. The rye and the hops add a new, and pleasant dimension to what would otherwise be a somewhat familiar profile

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
JDBaker11058 (1274) - Maryland, USA - SEP 6, 2014
Appearance: amber, with orange and maroon highlights and a short, creamy light tan head, and minimal lacing. Aroma: caramel malts, pine and citrus hops, hint of black pepper and yeast. Taste: as the aroma indicated. Finish: lingering light resinous bitterness. Notes: Felt more like a Rye Pale Ale than a strong ale, as it was not overly strong or boozy. Relatively balanced between caramel malts (with a bit of rye spice) and some citrus and pine hops. Reasonable, but not remarkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
drowland (6038) - Valdosta, Georgia, USA - SEP 2, 2014
9/1/14. Happy Labor Day, I suppose. My wife and I were the only two in the restaurant. It was kind of nice, actually. A good burger and a couple of okay beers at one of my favorite hangs. I suppose I should get on with this rating, though, right? So anyway, I had this at Bleu Pub from a 16oz can served in a pint glass. Murky brown pour with a small, thick tan head that stuck around and mildly laced the glass. Rich aroma. I was thrown a little bit as they had this marked on their menu as an "amber ale" or something like that and I had to read the can to figure out what it really was and then look on here. If I had been handed this blindly, I’m not sure what I would have guessed... barleywine or an old ale or something like that, I suppose. Anyway, the rich aroma covered a nuttiness, rich dark fruits, a hint of a cardboardy aspect, some spice. Rich flavor as well, malty as all heck, some dark pit fruits, nutty, a touch of biscuitiness and rich toasted caramel. Not bad, pretty rich, a little sweet.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
TattooJack (95) - Illinois, USA - SEP 1, 2014
When I saw this beer I weighed the pros and cons: beer named after one of my favorite punk rock songs of all time (+), tall boy can (+), 8% abv (+), made in Chicago (+), ridiculous picture (-), and into the cart at jewel it went. If they would have depicted the pig in an authentic Italian WWII wartime dress uniform it would have been 5 for 5, but dressing him like magnum PI’s boss confused me a bit. Now the beer is strong like the song, a little bitter like some of the lyrics. It packs a punch like whatever i was drinking the first time I heard this song live (probably cisco). I enjoyed the overall experience and have nothing bad to say about anything that reverts me back to yelling at the top of my lungs "RIOT SQUAD, BASH THEIR HEADS!!"

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jabic (429) - Brigantine, New Jersey, USA - AUG 20, 2014
Ar: Rich malt, lots of caramel, big orange hop aroma. Ap: Amber-red, clear - large tan head with good retention, leaves lots of foam siding and a thick cap. T: Toasted malt and sticky caramel - orange and grapefruit, a bit of pine - bitterness is high and clean - finish is more caramel and lingering bitterness. P: Medium body with high carbonation - finish is medium-dry. O: Solid american strong ale - good malt and hop balance, both being robust.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ericular (613) - Minnesota, USA - AUG 17, 2014
Pours a hazy, dirty orange with fading foamy head and not much lacing. Aroma is malty, just a touch too much. Taste is spicy with rye, drying later to become pretty assertive. It works well, and is a great strong ale with no sign of alcohol, if in the mood for peppery rye. Not sure I’d seek it out again, but good if in the right mindset.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Mark_Eck (686) - - AUG 9, 2014
Pours a darker amber color. Aroma and taste are nicely balanced with caramel and citrus.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
wisdomsolo (453) - St Petersburg, Florida, USA - AUG 4, 2014
Really nice. Very hoppy with some malty notes. I enjoyed it. Thanks Doug!!!

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
fluffy (1670) - St Petersburg, Florida, USA - AUG 4, 2014
Good lord this is hoppy! I'm sure lots of people like this for it's hoppiness, but I will pass. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
wilnatp (576) - Minnesota, USA - JUL 29, 2014
Can. Decent but not well balanced. Hops were a bit more bitter than I expected based on the description.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Oldmanriver (52) - Freiburg, Baden-Württemberg, GERMANY - JUL 23, 2014
Had at Taps in Atlanta,Ga. Copper light brown color. Complex malt character. Due to rye and caramel malts. Medium to full body. With an odd mixture of a simotanious sweet malt and bitter hop finish. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone