overall

RATINGS: 250   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Secret Stache Stout is a robust stout. The specialty ingredients, vanilla bean and lactose, lend to its complexity and full flavor. While no actual chocolate was used to brew this beer, heaps of chocolate malt give the beer its color as well as its chocolate and coffee notes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
drowland (6124) - Valdosta, Georgia, USA - AUG 22, 2014
8/22/14. 16oz can from Five Points. This certainly showed up in Valdosta randomly. Deep black pour with a nice tan head that looks good at first but fades to nothing but a ring and very minimal lacing pretty quickly. Iím more than halfway through my glass and I see just hardly little spritzes of ringed, webbed lacing after certain drinks. For whatever reason the aroma screams soy sauce to me - meaty, savory, salty in a way - followed by a bit of ashiness and dark chocolate. I canít say Iím scoping much vanilla out of this on the aroma at least. Iíve been contemplating this brew as I go, and what strikes me is the dry acidity of an Irish stout but fuller bodied and with a huge ashy aspect on top of that meaty, salty, soy sauce aspect I found in the aroma. The lactose serves to smooth it out a bit and sweeten the mid-palate as well as leave a really nice creamy slickness on my tongue that Iím actually enjoying quite a bit. This may also partially because of the pairing with vanilla in there, which comes through a touch in the flavor (definitely more than I was finding in the aroma). Well, I suppose Iíll finish my 4-pack, but I donít see myself seeking this out in the future. Not bad.

GenDV138 (1620) - Falls Church, Virginia, USA - AUG 18, 2014
16 oz can shared by Travlr before the DC Local Tasting, thanks Gene! Black with tan head. Aromas of cream, chocolate, roast, vanilla. Tastes of roast, chocolate, light hops and vanilla. Medium body with a dry finish. Creamy mouthfeel. Pretty good.

solidfunk (4318) - Washington D.C., Washington DC, USA - AUG 18, 2014
Vanilla and roast that comes together very well. Creamy texture. Pours black with mocha head and lacing. Can from Grape and Gourmet in Virginia Beach.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
radagast83 (4924) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - AUG 16, 2014
16oz can. Poured a dark brown color with a small tan head. Aroma was roasted malts, some sweet milk chocolate. Flavor was sweet chocolate, roasted malts. Good!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
drpimento (2280) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 15, 2014
Poured very thick and black like oil, small tan head, no lace, opaque black. Aroma is raisins molasses roasted malt cocoa and coffee. Flavor is Like aroma and the use of the vanilla bean & lactose to offset the heavy use of black patent malt and not quite enough carbonation for the balance of the carbonic tang against everything else. Bittersweet. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cmq103 (8) - Hamilton Square, New Jersey, USA - AUG 13, 2014 does not count
A: Roasted dark malts during the initial inhale, followed by distinct oatmeal and barley. Sure smells like an oat:meal stout. Hints of dark chocolate and vanilla are also present. If the taste is anything like the aroma then this is going to be a fantastic stout. A: A slightly thicker generous pour resulted in a really thin beige head. The color was dark motor oil brown in appearance. Real dark, like no light was getting through this glass. Respectable lacing clung tight while draping itself down the side of my glass. So far, so goodÖ T: Like the smell, roasted dark malts with a lightly bitter finish. Oats and vanilla precede the mild bitter finish. Although I got the dark chocolate smell, only the bitterness of dark chocolate was noticeable. After the swallow, a coffee like taste remains on the tongue. This is really flavorful for a lighter stout. I must say again, it reminds me of fine oatmeal stout, which I really do enjoy. P: Thicker body on the tongue with a creamy smooth texture from start to finish, almost an oily feel when I take a longer sip. Carbonation is minimal, but present. As noted above, a coffee like taste remains between sips. O: My first Finchís Beer Company beer and wonít be my last. According to their website, lactose was used during the brewing process. I didnít get the normal sweetness and lessening of bitterness lactose tends to add to a stout. Either way, this is a great stout in my opinion. I love the fact it comes in a 16-ounce can. A well done, year-round stout. I canít wait to find a 4-pack of this beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
edwardbass (539) - Illinois, USA - AUG 11, 2014
Very, very dark brown color. Aroma is chocolate and coffee. Taste is coffee, dark chocolate, just a hint of vanilla, some dark malt sweetness and a tad spot of bitter. Body is light for a stout. Not my favorite stout, though Iím not a big-time stout fan as it is.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JHeath99 (1083) - Warner Robins, Georgia, USA - AUG 9, 2014
Can from Lazy Dog. Pours an opaque dark brown with a thin ring of toffee colored head. Aroma of roasted coffee. Taste of malts, coffee, and dark chocolates.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ontbeertaster (2339) - Ontario, CANADA - AUG 9, 2014
Tap, pours dark, light head, aroma is roasty, taste is roasty as well with a creamy and a bit sweet finish, highly drinkable and overall nice stuff

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
cards04 (1823) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - JUL 15, 2014
A really nice stout. Pours thick and black with massive mocha head. Aromas are vanilla and coffee with red berry notes. Flavors are sweet and creamy. Chocolate, vanilla, and coffee. Finishes robust and strong. Excellent.