overall

RATINGS: 234   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Secret Stache Stout is a robust stout. The specialty ingredients, vanilla bean and lactose, lend to its complexity and full flavor. While no actual chocolate was used to brew this beer, heaps of chocolate malt give the beer its color as well as its chocolate and coffee notes.

Alextricity's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - MAR 20, 2013
$3 16oz "tall boy" can poured into a Samuel Adams "Perfect Pint" glass. Appearance: Pitch black... car oil kind of black. Thereís a tiny head, but it goes away almost instantly, with just a thin, brown layer of foam on top. Lacing, at least initially, is sexy. Smell: Super dark, roasted malts is the most notable thing here. However, thereís plenty of chocolate-like notes as well, with some vanilla. The vanilla definitely comes out more in the aroma than it does in the flavor, which MAY be a good thing. (The vanilla is the main thing that drew me to this beer). Taste/feel: What a stout. Forget the fact that it comes from a can. What. A. Stout. Balanced very, very well. Itís never too sweet, or too bitter. Front of the sip is a bit of dark fruits (?) for sweetness, but then thereís pretty much nothing but malty, chocolate goodness until the end. As the beer warms up, the beer seems to get a tad bit more bitter, and the vanilla comes out a LITTLE more, but I notice a lot of people complaining about the vanilla in it. To be honest, I donít really get much at all (at least when itís cold)... and that disappoints me. Itís there in a subtle way, but I actually wanted a little bit more. Regardless of that, this is still a slick-in-the-mouth, quality stout: an absolute delight.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Travlr (11145) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 24, 2014
Can. Dark brown color. Aroma of dark bittersweet cocoa. Taste is unmotivated cocoa (OK, Iím having trouble reading my own handwriting), espresso. Nice full body.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerdedDave (297) - - AUG 22, 2014
black color with a tan head; aroma is chocloate, vanilla, coffee, and roasted malt; a nice, smooth stout with a medium bodied roasted malt base with notes of espresso, and chocolate, and hints of vanilla; luckily they did not overdo the vanilla as so many brewers tend to do

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
LuckyDog (90) - - AUG 22, 2014
This was a really great stout. Roasted notes. Not a strong hop bite. One of the best stouts Iíve had in a long time.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
drowland (5998) - Valdosta, Georgia, USA - AUG 22, 2014
8/22/14. 16oz can from Five Points. This certainly showed up in Valdosta randomly. Deep black pour with a nice tan head that looks good at first but fades to nothing but a ring and very minimal lacing pretty quickly. Iím more than halfway through my glass and I see just hardly little spritzes of ringed, webbed lacing after certain drinks. For whatever reason the aroma screams soy sauce to me - meaty, savory, salty in a way - followed by a bit of ashiness and dark chocolate. I canít say Iím scoping much vanilla out of this on the aroma at least. Iíve been contemplating this brew as I go, and what strikes me is the dry acidity of an Irish stout but fuller bodied and with a huge ashy aspect on top of that meaty, salty, soy sauce aspect I found in the aroma. The lactose serves to smooth it out a bit and sweeten the mid-palate as well as leave a really nice creamy slickness on my tongue that Iím actually enjoying quite a bit. This may also partially because of the pairing with vanilla in there, which comes through a touch in the flavor (definitely more than I was finding in the aroma). Well, I suppose Iíll finish my 4-pack, but I donít see myself seeking this out in the future. Not bad.

gendv138 (1205) - Falls Church, Virginia, USA - AUG 18, 2014
16 oz can shared by Travlr before the DC Local Tasting, thanks Gene! Black with tan head. Aromas of cream, chocolate, roast, vanilla. Tastes of roast, chocolate, light hops and vanilla. Medium body with a dry finish. Creamy mouthfeel. Pretty good.

solidfunk (3896) - Washington D.C., Washington DC, USA - AUG 18, 2014
Vanilla and roast that comes together very well. Creamy texture. Pours black with mocha head and lacing. Can from Grape and Gourmet in Virginia Beach.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
radagast83 (4563) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - AUG 16, 2014
16oz can. Poured a dark brown color with a small tan head. Aroma was roasted malts, some sweet milk chocolate. Flavor was sweet chocolate, roasted malts. Good!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
drpimento (2221) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 15, 2014
Poured very thick and black like oil, small tan head, no lace, opaque black. Aroma is raisins molasses roasted malt cocoa and coffee. Flavor is Like aroma and the use of the vanilla bean & lactose to offset the heavy use of black patent malt and not quite enough carbonation for the balance of the carbonic tang against everything else. Bittersweet. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cmq103 (4) - Hamilton Square, New Jersey, USA - AUG 13, 2014 does not count
A: Roasted dark malts during the initial inhale, followed by distinct oatmeal and barley. Sure smells like an oat:meal stout. Hints of dark chocolate and vanilla are also present. If the taste is anything like the aroma then this is going to be a fantastic stout. A: A slightly thicker generous pour resulted in a really thin beige head. The color was dark motor oil brown in appearance. Real dark, like no light was getting through this glass. Respectable lacing clung tight while draping itself down the side of my glass. So far, so goodÖ T: Like the smell, roasted dark malts with a lightly bitter finish. Oats and vanilla precede the mild bitter finish. Although I got the dark chocolate smell, only the bitterness of dark chocolate was noticeable. After the swallow, a coffee like taste remains on the tongue. This is really flavorful for a lighter stout. I must say again, it reminds me of fine oatmeal stout, which I really do enjoy. P: Thicker body on the tongue with a creamy smooth texture from start to finish, almost an oily feel when I take a longer sip. Carbonation is minimal, but present. As noted above, a coffee like taste remains between sips. O: My first Finchís Beer Company beer and wonít be my last. According to their website, lactose was used during the brewing process. I didnít get the normal sweetness and lessening of bitterness lactose tends to add to a stout. Either way, this is a great stout in my opinion. I love the fact it comes in a 16-ounce can. A well done, year-round stout. I canít wait to find a 4-pack of this beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
edwardbass (503) - Illinois, USA - AUG 11, 2014
Very, very dark brown color. Aroma is chocolate and coffee. Taste is coffee, dark chocolate, just a hint of vanilla, some dark malt sweetness and a tad spot of bitter. Body is light for a stout. Not my favorite stout, though Iím not a big-time stout fan as it is.