overall

RATINGS: 610   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Everything we love about classic German Pilsner with a hoppy Bohemian twist. Pils is a bright straw colored lager beer with playful carbonation topped with beautiful white foam lace. Delicate lightly toasted malt flavors underscore noble German hop character. Hallertau-grown Magnum hops deliver the lupulin foundation while generous amounts of Spalter Select hops bring floral aromatic and spicy herbal notes. As a twist on the traditional Pils, we dry hop with German Saphir for a touch of bergamot zest and lemongrass. A refreshing, light-bodied and hop-driven Pils.

mikeohlsson (8) - California, USA - OCT 30, 2013 does not count
Big fan of lagers & pilsners & this is a favorite. Hops are probably not what Pilsner Urquell would approve of to style, but they balance bitterness & hop flavor very well. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

BeerSnob109 (1) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 2, 2016 does not count
I love this style of beer, and just discovered Pivo last weekend at BevMo.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
sremed60 (15) - Arizona, USA - APR 4, 2015
The first thing that hit me, (and made me smile), was the color. Stout is my preferred style of beer so I naturally drink a lot of dark, heavy, full-bodied ales. This one poured out a solid 3 SRM, which brought a smile to my face. Well done guys. Firestone Walker recommends drinking this no more than 120 days from their "Bottled on" date and I cracked this bottle open on day 144, (an oversight to be sure). So there wasn’t as much carbonation as would be expected but it still put any of the big 3 adjunct lagers to shame. The nose was pleasant and subtle. The hops were there, but not in an in your face (Simcoe®) kind of way. My first impression of the taste was “balanced.” You can taste the hops and the malt, but neither one is over powering or competing with the other. Very light mouth feel. As a stout drinker I’m tempted to say it was watery…. But I don’t think that’s accurate. In fact when I decided to write this review I had to really focus on the style of beer I was drinking, and make sure I’m not judging it by another style’s standards. For what this beer was crafted to be, it delivers. In my humble opinion it hits all the benchmarks of a German Pilsner, (with a twist). The marketing seems to be that this is a hoppy pilsner, and while that is accurate, it is also misleading. The bitterness is well balanced in this beer. The hops are there, but I’m not sure I would define this as a “hop forward” or even “hoppy” beer. It’s a well balanced German Pilsner with some interesting layers. Very enjoyable beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
drpimento (3004) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 9, 2016
Waited a long time to try this. Served with a fluffy white head and lots of lace. Aroma is fresh lager and hops. Flavor is similar to nose very fresh clean bittersweet. Extremely drinkable.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
winto (35) - Washington, USA - SEP 6, 2014
nose: just washed linen, vanilla bean ice cream, citrus leaf tea. palate: this is just magic in a bottle. it’s clean, sharp, fresh, extremely aromatic, balanced, with an awesome dose of hops that weave in and out of the the tongue and throat. finish is long and moderately bitter to give the whole thing an edginess missing from most lagers. one of my top 10 beers!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
ozmotion (2) - New Jersey, USA - JUN 11, 2015 does not count
Light bodied and hop driven, exactly as described. It strikes the right balance between having enough contemporary accents (ie, floral, herbal) to distinguish itself while remaining faithful to the style. This is summer joy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
Braden99 (29) - Camarillo, California, USA - AUG 3, 2013
This was a real treat. Very sessionable pilsner, crisp and refreshing with very light malt mouthfeel. Paired up great with an appetizer - perfect first beer out of the gate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Shinskyweiser (49) - - AUG 24, 2014
Pours a crystal clean pale yellow. Thick wight head. Surfer/dankness attacks the nose. Smells amazing! Has a very nice floral bitterness. Malt is clean with a rice crispy like finish. One of the best if not the best craft pilsner I've had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
coyforce (684) - California, USA - JUL 19, 2015
Wow this beer took me by surprise. I really can’t say enough about this brew! Very light and refreshing. While everyone is stretching to make the next hoppy ipa, this brew fills a gap in the domestic pilsner market. Delicious and smooth as silk.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
AtronSeige (1199) - Johannesburg, SOUTH AFRICA - FEB 21, 2016
Aroma: Medium hops, floral, spicy, herb. (Saaz?) Light grainy. Appearance: Brilliant yellow body. Large white, fluffy head. Good retention. Large bubbles. Lacing Flavour: Medium bitterness, crisp. Medium hops, floral, spicy, herb. (Saaz?) Dry finish with lingering hop flavours and light bitterness. Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium carbonation. Overall: Stunning hop flavour and aroma. Great beer. 360 ml can, poured. Thanks Andre! 5D. German Pils