Flossmoor Station Candor American Sour Ale

Flossmoor Station Candor American Sour Ale
     click to upload

Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 3.6/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.03   EST. CALORIES: 138   ABV: 4.6%
50/50 Blend of a 2 year old sour ale aged in stainless and Stationmaster Wheat Ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hair6a11 (1319) - Illinois, USA - JUN 22, 2011
On tap at flossmoor station; indeed I came here for this brew, and did leave fairly quickly, heh. This brew is murky dark golden with a frothy fine bubbled white head, at least initially, in this tulip. The lacing is fairly nice, as well. The nose is a little subdued for me, honestly. A bit of barnyard on the nose, I suppose. A bit of citrus zest, as well. This brew was at first appealing, and not, on the tongue. Thereís a lactic acid note present from the head, I suppose. A metallic note is lingering in my mouth at the moment. cheese, funk, barnyard, but like thealum, the blend of their wheat provided notes of simply disappointment, honestly. Thereís a lot to like here, donít get me wrong.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheAlum (5575) - Lisle, Illinois, USA - JUN 20, 2011
UPDATED: JUN 23, 2011 A couple drafts on tap at the brewpub (Flossmoor, IL). Despite my feelings on Flossmoor management, Iím here for the Van Wyk sours. They (the new brewers) blended this. Pours a murky amber pour, dulled and dreary but well hazed, maybe a touch of orange glow to it. A frothy decent sized cakey white head sits atop, perhaps a touch offwhite, good lacing and sticks around as it is. Aromas are a leap of lactic acid and sour peaches, touches of apricot, bready malts, and funky dusty brett, touches of straw with some juicy mandarin oranges in there. Really deep sourness on the nose, peaches, and the sweeter malts Stationmaster base, lactic acid, touches of creamy yogurt. Ambrosia to the nose, perhaps a touch sweet, but the acidity is stronger. Initial preaches some moderate to healthy acidity up front, sour peaches, apricots, and lactic lemony acids. The palate adapts quickly, as it seems to have lost some oomph. The middle preaches bready malts and yogurt, getting fairluy heavy yogurt, with some butter, some citrus. Gets a bit too sweet for my liking in the middle, but the finish clings on with sour peaches, lactic acidity, and lemons. I feel this unblended could be magical, fierce and uninhibited. The blend sweetens it up, but doesnít kill the buttery and sweet qualities which gets a smidge heavy for me. An ok sour, that up front and into the lingering finish is nice, but the middle offers sweeter malts and muted wild yeast and touches of butter and sweet malts that part for me. Itís very drinkable, but falls a bit short for me. Aroma is lovely, appearance very good, flavors are on for the most part, but the taste experience falls short. I understand blending this for the sake of the regulars, but for beer nerds Iíd prefer a small Stationmaster blend experience. Itís still a very nice sour, but if you are going to blend it, Iím gonna be a little more critical.