Flossmoor Station Ghost of the Iron
     click to upload

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 3.74/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
After receiving numerous inquiries into whether we would be doing a Halloween beer, we have and it is scary. We have infused a little ghost pepper (a.k.a. Bhut jolokia) into our Iron Horse stout and have made Ghost of the Iron. We used just a single pepper in 7.5 gallons. Widely recognized as the hottest pepper in the world, the Bhut Jolokia measures in at over ONE MILLION Scoville heat units. Not just hot though, the Ghost pepper also has a very nice smoky flavor when dried and adds an additional dimension than just pure heat. We do not promise this beer is balanced and actually are hoping that this is a pretty intense brew. Drink at your own risk!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Cornfield (5452) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - JUN 28, 2011
Infused with Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper), this was one helluva dandy drink. It poured a deep opaque brown, nearly black, a bit lighter around the edges, with a smallish tan head. The aroma was roasty with a touch of chocolate and another of oatmeal... and a sturdy whiff of smoky pepper. The pepperís heat crept up on me as I drank, not overwhelming the stoutís base flavors, but launching an attack all its own. It coated my mouth with heat and sweet, smoky pepper flavors. The stoutness of the brew helped to wash some of that away, causing the heat to dive to my gut. Excellent flavor, but not hot enough to cause a round of the flaming shooters in the morning... hot pepper at its best.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
paulwastaken (17) - - APR 16, 2011
Tried it at day of the ales 2011 event in chicago. It was very smooth and had a great flavor. The oils from the pepper were hot. I like hot foods so i did enjoy it more than others. not for the faint of heart.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TheAlum (5575) - Lisle, Illinois, USA - NOV 2, 2010
Sampler on tap at the brewpub (Flossmoor, IL). I was warned to go with the sampler first. Pours a rich blackish hue, near opaque with brownish edges, a small frothy brownish head dies to a ring and laces small. Aromas are some rich roasty malts, a touch of sweeter oatmeal, coffee, some dark chocolate. Irish soda bread and a touch of smoky gentle pepper wafts in and some ominous heat. Creamy. Initial is a bit roasty up front, moving onto a hot peppery assault of the taste buds. Smokey and hot peppers, vegetal doesnít get in the way though. Roast and smoke, some coffee, hot peppers and salsa chiles linger on the back of the palate. Really, itís not as hot as I anticipated, and I think it works well.. The pepper is very aggressive, hot, but nothing that should chase a fan of peppers or heat away. Lingering heat, smokey chiles, roasty malts, the sweetness and dryness of the Iron Horse is eaten up, leaving hot peppers and some roasty malts, coffee as the basis and main brunt of flavor force. Very interesting. Iíd do a full one.. Yum and an interesting experiment. Heat really lingers on.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DrnkMcDermott (2780) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - OCT 31, 2010
UPDATED: NOV 3, 2010 12 oz draft @ FSRB. Had to drag the kids along and buy them dinner (and subject the staff to my "well behaved" wee-uns), but by George, I got me one. As a chile-head, Iíll admit up front that my review may be biased. This beer is not for everyone. Or even anyone. A blackish brown body with a thin edge of stout foam atop. Wicked pepper smell, but with some stout behind it. First sniff is of peppers and vinegar, but that retreats to the vegetable hotness of a fresh pepper. From the first sip, a big burn goes right through my esophagus. But the pain is not intense. To me. Bhut was added in just the right proportion to let the familiar Iron Horse stout flavor Ė dry and evenly roasty Ė call out for help from behind the wall of flame. I thought that Iíd be inflating the average to this one, but I realize no oneís going to risk this unless they already like chile beers.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dm9831 (1512) - Monee, Illinois, USA - OCT 30, 2010
pours black, medium tan head, lots of lace. nose is sweet malt, roasty chocolate. flavor follows nose with sweet malt and chocolate, but adds some really tasty roasty heat from the ghost pepper. medium bodied, sweet finish with a great pepper heat. Boo! one of the funnest beers iíve sampled recently. bryan brewed a very small batch, so rush to flossmoor station and sample it now. and donít forget to tip the wait staff.