Flossmoor Station Ginger Dunkle
     click to upload

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.17/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.89   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Day 5 of the 12 Beers of Christmas

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TheAlum (5909) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - DEC 17, 2009
On tap at the brewpub (Flossmoor, IL). Day 5 of 12, with Ruby Brown as it’s base. I was a little skeptical going into this, as the base of this beer was a bit too sweet for me, however the body matched it. Pours almost identical to it’s base, pours a near opaque pour with a nice offwhite that is thick, laces fairly well. Aromas are sweet caramel anf toffee malts, bread, faint chocolate, I really get no ginger in this offering. Initial mirrors the base so much so that the only possible thing I notice different might be a little more bitterness on the backend, which actually improves this beers drinkability I believe. Still fairly sweet, caramel and toffee mix liberally, with some cocoa, a light toastiness, a bit chewy on the palate. This is almost identical to me, but might have a bit more bitterness in the finish. Ok, but it’s just a brew that didn’t work well for me to begin with.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 16, 2009
#5 in the 12 Beers of Christmas: Did not like the base beer that much. And if Bryan says there’s ginger in this one, then, damn it, there’s ginger in there! But all I get is a slightly drying astringency in the finish that was not in the base beer. (And I had them poured side by side for my tasting pleasure) I don’t smell it, I don’t really taste it much, but I can tell in the side by side that there is a difference between the two, mainly in the astringent finish. So there we have it!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Cornfield (5541) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - DEC 16, 2009
On tap at the brewpub as Day 5 of the 12 Beers of Christmas - And, yes, that’s how Dunkel was spelled on the menu! It poured a deep brown body with a dense light brown head. The ginger was quite subtle in the aroma, serving mainly to cut the rich malty, chocolatey sweetness. The flavor’s sweetness, too, was tempered by the ginger, although it didn’t add much to the taste until the dry, mildly bitter finish. Interesting.