Flossmoor Station Rot Geist American Red Wheat
     click to upload
overall
Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 26   MEAN: 3.88/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
We set out to create a deliciously hoppy American wheat beer that wasn't as burly as our normal I.P.A.s but still satiated the hophead inside of us. What came out was Rot Geist (Red Ghost) American Red Wheat. It's a reddish hued American Wheat made with Summit, Centennial, and Amarillo hops with an additional dry hopping of 1lb/bbl Amarillo for aroma.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
frankenkitty (1959) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - OCT 22, 2008
Pours a deep, dark, rusty/copper under a full, creamy head which sheet-laces the entire glass. Perfumed with intense florals, PNW character still pushes through with piney resplendence while a gentle caramel sweetness joins in late. Flavor is sharp & piney but well-grounded by a thick malt background. Though classified a ’’wheat ale’’ this is another ’’IPA’’ which I could drink pint after pint of. Dry finish with alcohol astringence. Damn near perfect. (And then at the end of my notes I drew a little stick figure clapping.)

From an old notebook. I think I had this at the end of last summer at Gene’s party.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Illini08 (542) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - AUG 1, 2007
On tap at the brewery. Bought a growler of it and here I am a couple days later. Dark amber/ medium red colored pour with a very small head that dissipated quickly. Grapefruit and tangerine aroma. Just tons of citrus aroma bursting through from the hops. Slightly spicy as well. Flavor was similar with a slight bit of caramel malt coming through to add some balance. No wheat characteristics coming through. I’m very tempted to finish the entire growler tonight, but I’ll hold off... That way I’ll have something to look forward to when I get home from work tomorrow. Top notch brew!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
gws57 (1274) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - AUG 27, 2007
Had this one on draught at the brewpub in Flossmoor, Illinois. Hazy dark copper pour with a thin, filmy head, very piney hoppiness, peach fruitiness, very bitter and lots of rose. Awesome. I was very impressed with Flossmoor Station this time around.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cornfield (5504) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - JUL 25, 2007
Had I not known ahead of time that this was a wheat ale, I never would’ve made the guess. Filling my mug club tapping mug was an unfiltered reddish amber brew topped with a tall, sustained off-white head that left plenty of lacing in its wake. The aroma is rife with a citrusy fruitiness - grapefruit, zest of lemon, tart tangerines - and nearly buries the soft malty sweetness beneath it. The flavor is more balanced (darn it!), the smooth malts supporting the hoppy bitterness that still manages to leave an enduring, bitter finish. Nothing quite beats a fresh I.P.A. American Wheat Ale! Nice job, Andrew & Matt!

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Station, Flossmoor, IL<font size=-1>

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 25, 2007
Hop whore that I am, I was excited to hear that Andrew and Matt planned a Gumballhead-type wheat beer...perfect for these hot summer days. Little did I expect them to come up with this Munster-Buster of a brew! Great amber pour...clear and clean...with a big off white fluffy head that lingers around awhile. The nose is all PNW hopping...grapefruit, orange blossoms, and pine resins. The flavor is hop-forward as well, but the real shocker was I could find zero wheat characteristics, none! Second and third mugs not only confirmed this, but caused me to add a few points here and there with each sample. It grew on me! The hops finish with a dry tongue-tingle of citrus and pine..and yet the caramel malt held it’s own admirably. I can honestly call this my new favorite session beer of the year.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
IPALover (63) - Carlsbad, California, USA - JUL 26, 2007
Nice hoppy aroma for this smooth tasty red beer. The wheat impact is mild (like an american style wheat) which lets the extra hops show through. Very nice beer.

barleyPops (1141) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - AUG 18, 2007
12 oz. hand-bottle courtesy of illini08, thanks Jeremy. fortunately this was bottled up as soon as the growler was opened or I don’t think I would have gotten any of this ( reference illini08’s rating ).
pours a reddish amber with a small off-white head fading quickly to a ring of lace. aroma is grapefruit and other citrus fruit with just a hint of some pine. a wonderful balance of caramel malts and enough hops to keep you coming back and wanting more. not sure where the wheat is... and don’t really care. this is an outstanding beer no matter what the classification.

sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - AUG 31, 2007
On tap @ the Brew pub: Pours a clear amber color with an off white head. Aroma, caramel, light toffee notes, some wheat, bready, and some citrus. Flavor, caramel, wheat, with some big citrus flavors as well. Smooth medium body with a nice earthy bitter finish to it. Very nice stuff.

drewbeerme (3879) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 14, 2007
on tap at maproom. pours dark red with creamy reddish-white head. nose is very sweet hops. flavor is really sweet hoppy but not too bitter, lots of grapefruit and citrus. wow lots of raw amarillo hop flavor. it’s more like a hoppy red than say, Gumballhead, but it’s delicious. i could get drunk off this stuff. haha. what’s new? anyways, this beer is rich, creamy, hoppy, sweet, and really sessionable.

CaptainCougar (7132) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - NOV 18, 2007
On tap at the 2007 GTMW: Pours a bright transparent orange amber with a thin, wispy-lacing off-white head. Real fresh sweet dark wheat and lots of piny resiny hops in the nose. Body starts fairly full and toasty malty but not overly sweet with a great balance of crisp, fresh hops. Very smooth, drinkable and flavorful, a great American wheat ale!