Flossmoor Station Sophomoric Sour Ale
     click to upload

Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1   MEAN: 3.6/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.87   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
A sour blend of two parts sour ale aged for two years in stainless steel and one part Half Day Hefeweizen.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheAlum (5701) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - JUL 20, 2011
UPDATED: JUL 21, 2011 Tulip poured on tap at the brewpub (Flossmoor, IL). The next blend. Pours a darker brownish murky hue, good haze, with just touches of orange copper glow, subtle. A frothy offwhite head is moderate in size, dies to a small layer, laces ok overall, like soap. Aromas push a mixture of acidic fruit, some cherry, wet oak, some touches of pear, crab apples, and citrusy fruit. Moving quickly into estery banana, apples, and bubblegum. Really, I get the sour base beneath but the bubblegum seems to be winning the battle, phenolic with cloves, vanilla, bread. Touches of cherries, sourness. Strange bag of tricks as it shows some more bread dough, straw. Weird. Initial is considerably more enjoyable with a good kick of sourness and acidity up front. Some peaches, cherries, vinegar grow up front, sour fruit. Yogurt moving into that sweeter Hefe blend on the backend which seems to soften the blow. Some bubblegum, estery fruit, wet bread. I can see the point of the blend here, as the front shows some more power in this blend as it tapers and mellows into the finish with the Hefeweizen added in. Sourness grows up front, lemons and vinegar, some cherries, soft cheese. I wouldnít be surprised if this was two year Anno Unum. I donít love the smell, it looks good, and up front offers some good stuff but it tapers off into that sweet estery Hefe, more in the nose albeit. But still, I didnít think it came together all that well. Offered life up front but trailed off due to the blend. Better than a couple of the others, but not my favorite blend. Ok, with itís strength being the acidic front end in my book, the blend muddling the sour base/barrel (as I think Iíve pegged it as Anno Unum).. And I guess I can see this as an attempt at a "Bambic" type blend.. But I donít think it pulls that off quite as well. Itís a solid beer, just lacks some of the complexity and overall experience of itís JP counterpart. Solid, worth a shot. It grew on me.