Flossmoor Station The 12 Days of Christmas

(RETIRED)
Flossmoor Station The 12 Days of Christmas
     click to upload

RATINGS: 6   MEAN: 3.35/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22   SEASONAL: Winter   ABV: -
To scratch your itch for those Holiday spices. Beginning Wednesday, Dec 13th we will put on the first of three kegs of a big Red ale. each of the three kegs will be spiced differently. Can you guess what I used??
1st keg-Dec 13th-Dec 16th
2nd keg-Dec 17th-Dec 20th
3rd keg-Dec 21st-Dec 24th
Get it? twelve days. Yeah......
There will be no special tapping for the mug club exclusively, but please come in and fill up your mug.
RateBeerians, sorry, this oneís gonna be tough to log. Whatyagonna do?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Arnie (274) - Chicagoland, IL, Illinois, USA - JAN 2, 2007
Sampler flight at Flossmoor Station. Light golden, very mild hoppy nose. Mild mix ofspice , wheat, and hops in flavor. Easy going down.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
gws57 (1274) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - DEC 28, 2006
Had this on draught at the brewpub in Flossmoor, Illinois. (Incidentally, it was December 22nd, the Third Keg). Clear, light amber pour with a mild, sweet nose, slightly spicy, maybe cinnamon or nutmeg? Light and balanced. A nice finish to a rocky sampler.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
frankenkitty (1959) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - DEC 17, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 28, 2006 Iím guesing the look of this brew will remain consistent through all three kegs... served as a murky brown with a frothy head, I donít think this quite captured the holiday "red" that Matt was looking for but it was attractive nonetheless.

Keg One: † † † †Low dishwater notes with hop distribution heavier than I remembered from Panama (although I must admit that with all the new stuff thatís been on tap at FSRB itís been a long while since Iíve had one.) The hop content does a nice job of hiding the spices from the nose. Very clever. Flavor retains a mild PNW character with just a subtle hint of spice. Coriander seems to rise gently off the top while a fuller flavor of cinnamon seems to take over the mouth. Iíll let you boys know what I filled my growler with. ;) (6/4/7/3/14)

Result: 1/2 CORRECT† † † † †Cinnamon and Orange Rind were the secret ingredients. (I guess I thought the orange was simply a byproduct of the hops. Oh well.)

Keg Two: † † † †Dry in the mouth, our hops recede to some powerful spicing until the end of the glass where they come back around for a hoppy ending. NIce. Most definitely Clove here, full & chalky. Matt mentions that one of the secret ingredients in keg 2 is probably the hardest of them all. I really want to say "Nutmeg", but thatís too simple. I finally settle on Grains of Paradise. Regardless, this is a great holiday beer. (7/4/8/4/17)

Result: 1/2 CORRECT † † † †Clove and Rose Hips were our mystery guests. (On a positive note, my wife won the growler for this leg of the contest!)

Keg Three: † † † †The look of this seems slightly more clarified that the other two kegs... and more "bronze" than "brown". Interesting. Spices are way to subdued here. Add to that the fact that there seemed to be a cigar convention going on at the bar tonight. Iím going to throw a Hail-Mary here and shoot for Nutmeg as the fore-flavor with a minty tingle of Peppermint Sticks on the back end. *Frankenkitty crosses his fingers and waits* (6/4/6/3/15)

Result: AIR BALL!† † † † Ginger and dried Cranberries here (and my wife gets another one correct!)

And thatís all she wrote. Well, the LoSBD should be a little bit ashamed of their piss-poor performance with an overall 5/20 correct answers. Thatís a whopping 25%. (Even if we include Mrs.Fís 2/4, that only drives us up to 29%.) Gentlemen, letís blame everything on hops which, over time, have seared off the tastebuds weíve used to detect subtle flavor variations!

<font size=-4>On tap at <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Station, Flossmoor, IL 60422 (Scores Averaged.)</font>

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrnkMcDermott (2799) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - DEC 16, 2006
Draft at FS. All I know is that RayBoy asked me what I thought was in it before he gave his opinion, which was the same as mine. Yep. Cinnamon and nutmeg. For those of you scoring at home, itís a ruddy pale ale color, a bit cloudy. Smell brings up mostly cinnamon sticks. Taste is rather subtle (there, I said it, too!) Malts and hops stay kind of neutral, though pleasant. Luckily, the cinnamon is not overwhelming either. Not as overly spiced as a holiday ale. Pretty nice.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 16, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 22, 2006 Cornfield...you could not be more wrong if you TRIED!!! Subtle, though they may be, the two spices in the first batch are obviously...cinnamon and nutmeg! TAH DAH! Thank you, thank you very much! I stand ready to enlighten you about the next batch due out tomorrow. My scary knowledge of all things beer related is at your service! By the way, Mark, I filled my red card out Thursday December 14th in front of Matt at the cheese pairing...so you could only have copied from me while I was distracted buying you and your son drinks on Saturday afternoon. But thatís OK by me...great minds always think alike. (Mark, please PRIVATE beermail me your answers for the next two kegs!!!)
Keg #2: For all of you who would like to ride my coattails to victory, I am revealing the correct spices early: Peppermint and nutmeg!
I see Matt has offered a clue hinting at sage...I remain unmoved by that obvious obfuscation, and stand resolutely behind my equally obvious wing-nut of a guess. (PS. I am not submitting my tickets to enter the contest...I want some of you others, with less highly developed palates, to have a remote chance of winning some free beer...Thatís just how I roll!)
Keg #3: First impression was apple pie...so,apples and nutmeg, right? (Nutmeg HAS to be in one of these?) But later samples made me change my guess to raisins, and allspice. Joyce said raisins and mace...only because she couldnít spell cardamom(thank god...itís used in curries, yeah?) So there you have it. Please feel free to share any growlers with me for my help!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Cornfield (5482) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - DEC 15, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2006 Okay, so weíre dealing with a spiced up blending of Panama Limited Red Ale and Zephyr Golden Ale. The question is, and thereís a free growler involved, what two spices are used in each of the three kegs. I will undoubtedly not win a thing.

Keg #1: My guess for this keg is clove and mint, the latter mainly because of the cool finish. Nice look to it, a golden amber with a sustained head. The aroma is sweet and spicy, a fruity caramel with (as we know) clove and mint and a subdued PNW hopping. Itís light yet tasty with the spices never overwhelming the malt but blending in nicely. The finish is cool and minty. Hopefully Iíll be able to try the other kegs so I can misguess those spices, too.

Keg #2: A vaguely familiar, slightly bitter, teaf leaf like dryness gave me the correct answer to this one - sage with a light handed clove. The hops also seemed to be more pronounced than in The first keg. Even if Iím wrong, at least I can be sure that thereís NO PEPPERMINT in this one, RAYBOY01!

Correct answer for #2 ----- Thereís something strange going on here. Iím hoping that frankenkittyís listed answer is more reliable than mine, because Jill told me that the spices were rosehips and nutmeg!

Keg #3: Undaunted by the obvious mix-up in the proper labelling of what spices were used... I honestly forgot what responses I gave this time. Coriander was one, Iím pretty sure. All that I wrote down was the "correct" answers to the second keg. I believe I wrote down nutmeg. Whatever. At least I have the satisfaction of knowing that RAYBOY01 and frankenkitty are definitely way off base on this one.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Station, Flossmoor, IL<font size=-1>