overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 105   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Aviator Red is a full bodied, malty red ale brewed from the finest ingredients available anywhere. We use a blend of six of the highest quality malts to give Aviator its rich malt flavor and signature ruby red color. We select only the best hops to balance the robust malt flavor to arrive at a beer with a very drinkable finish. We brew Aviator Red to please the palates of our harshest critics - us! We hope that wehn you enjoy a fresh Aviator Red that you will join us in a toast to our friend Red.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jb (2162) - Rochester, New York, USA - AUG 7, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 29, 2006 Had at the Rohrbach’s summer beer fest. Dark amber brew with no head. Swee malty palate with slight hops finish. Very drinkable. 12/29/06 rerate - just picked up a 6, very nice. Big doughy aroma along with toasted odors. Nice malt and hops blend! Also liked the nuttiness. Bumped up a tad.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - JUL 17, 2005
Tap at Ommegang, 2005. Clear copper, thin off-white head. Fruity carmel malt aroma. Malty carmel flavors. Low hops. Very basic and undistinguished.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
radiomgb (2235) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 4, 2005
Bottle. Deep copper in colour with a thin brownish coloured head. The aroma of powdered chocolate, tobacco, cooked vegetables with very light malt. The flavour was of cigarette smoke and cheap fake chocolate. Medium body, medium carbonation. Finishes bland and thin. Not the greatest but the bottle has seen better days. I hope to rerate this soon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Duke (117) - New York, USA - MAY 7, 2005
Pleasant surprise. Smokey, malty yeast aroma. Sweet malty taste with a touch of hop biterness. Would drink again.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
JFGrind (1842) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 21, 2005
Sampled with a snifter of Black Bush Irish Whiskey as a companion to the Aviator Red. Sweet malt flavor, slight bitterness. I didn’t catch the hop bitterness the previous raters did.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
PWalk (337) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 28, 2005
Dark roasted aroma leads to a very chewy ale. What I mean is that it was much more complex on the palate than I had anticipated. I expected the beer to be almost a swill fest but it bit me back with a hop bite in the end that I really didn’t expect. Neato stuff. Wish I had a couple more to run through. I liked it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
thehipone (197) - AUSTRALIA - DEC 25, 2004
Tasted from a 1/2 gallon growler. Its a dark brown/red color with a whitish head. It has a mocha coffee taste reminiscent of a porter in the start that shifts gears quickly to an assertive hop flavor and bitterness in the finish. I agree with previous comments that it is more reminiscent of an American strong ale than an amber. Very thick mouthfeel.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
waveman352 (178) - Glens Falls, New York, USA - DEC 18, 2004
Bottle. Poured a small white head and a very dark red ruby color. For an amber I thought it would be much lighter but that wasn’t the case. It almost poured to the color and flavors of a stout. Full bodied with no diminishing tastes. Flavors of smokey malts and a chocolatey coffee.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
spkldhenlvr24 (517) - Newburgh/Buffalo, New York, USA - DEC 14, 2004
On tap at Coles in Buffalo. Way different then I expected. Deep ruby appearance, with a thin clear head. Coffee, malty aroma. The whole beer is full of roasted, smokey malts and hops. Well balanced brew. Reminded me of an ASA rather a typical amber. Very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - NOV 2, 2004
Yum - this is a tasty amber. It reminds me of St. Rogue Red. Deep brown red color, short ring of head and little lacing. Aroma is malty. Flavor - nice malts here - almost smoky and a bigh hunk of chocolate in there too. Hops give a nice bite at the end. Thanks Rudy!