overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 105   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Aviator Red is a full bodied, malty red ale brewed from the finest ingredients available anywhere. We use a blend of six of the highest quality malts to give Aviator its rich malt flavor and signature ruby red color. We select only the best hops to balance the robust malt flavor to arrive at a beer with a very drinkable finish. We brew Aviator Red to please the palates of our harshest critics - us! We hope that wehn you enjoy a fresh Aviator Red that you will join us in a toast to our friend Red.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
alexkeil (20) - New York, USA - APR 30, 2008
Finally Buffalo has a beer it can call its own again...one of my favorite beers, drinks easy, great aftertaste, a malty alternative to the hoppy beer varities. Red is best on tap in Buffalo at the Lafayette Tap Room or Century Grill.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DocLock (7731) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 15, 2006
Bottle from Patís. Pours a great clear ruby shade, with a sizable frothy khaki head. Aroma of cabernet, slight brown sugar and nuts. Tastes caramel malty, nutty, with a walnut/hazelnut, and a good deal of cabernet grapey flavor. Medium palate with decent balance and complexity. I like this one a lot more than most, and I consider it a top tier red ale, one of the finer examples of the style that I have yet quaffed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ambrose (141) - East Aurora, New York, USA - MAR 31, 2007
Good beer. A buffallo brew. With this and the way the sabres are playing we will soon rule america. Watch out you tools!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
beastiefan2k (2368) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - SEP 15, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 11, 2007 12 oz bottle poured into a small goblet glass from La trappe (just bought the glass, it came with the Quad as a bonus). Pours a very dark red almost brownish. No head but a small lacing sticking to the sides. Smell is present - malt driven. Bready, sour sweetness of cherries and tangerines, and a roasty coffee aspect. Humm, even some chocolate. I am starting to "get" Irish Ales. This and the Hooker I had were both malt driven in subtle ways. Its not in your face but there. Taste is light well balanced in fruitness, coffee and sweetness. The aftertaste is amazing. A sweetness sticking to your tongue and cheeks. Nothing really strong but nice. Average mouthfeel and low bitterness.8/3/8/3/15.

Rerate, its been about 6 months since I had this, I feel like I am drinking from the same batch and it has changed for the better. The fruit flavors have vanished and the sweet chocolate flavors emerged. An ESB character with buterscotch sweetness is coming out as well. I am more impressed with the color, which is very dark but still red. This really is a good Irish Ale. 8/4/8/3/16.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BuffaloBrewed (42) - Buffalo, New York, USA - NOV 24, 2006
On draft at the brewery. Very dark red in color, maybe even a little bit cloudy. The smell features strong malts and a roasted chocolate note. The taste is sweet and malty but it still has a good bite to it. The beerís flavor lingers in your mouth for a while This is a really good red ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Radek Kliber (6378) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - NOV 30, 2003
Thick creamy head. Superb processed malt, reminds me of Dunkels I had in Spiz. Clean, with good character, once again lovely roast.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rob897 (62) - Buffalo, New York, USA - OCT 17, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 17, 2008 medium bodied red ale, pour is dark red with an off white head, great malt flavor, very drinkable

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
pete4999 (1005) - Buffalo, New York, USA - FEB 23, 2011
UPDATED: JUN 5, 2011 Bottle. Iíve had this many times, both bottled and on tap. This got incredibly better once they re-opened the brewery. It used to be light, thin, and not very flavorful. Now, itís deep, with a caramel sweetness and a smooth mouthfeel. ETA - another re-rate here. This beer is legit now.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
PWalk (337) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 28, 2005
Dark roasted aroma leads to a very chewy ale. What I mean is that it was much more complex on the palate than I had anticipated. I expected the beer to be almost a swill fest but it bit me back with a hop bite in the end that I really didnít expect. Neato stuff. Wish I had a couple more to run through. I liked it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheEpeeist (3292) - Media, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 15, 2007
12 oz bottle, 01/06? Any pour not down the side shoots up a big head that settles like a float atop hazed amber. Lacy streamers. Nose is molasses, brown sugar and nuts. Taste starts with sweet, smoky prunes and a carb tang. Sour blackberry finish. A bit watery but adds to drinkability. Quite nice at almost two (?) years.